PDA

View Full Version : bbq island / bar

forrest2906
03-20-2012, 09:48 AM
I ordered a Kamado Joe "BIG JOE". Now i have a few weeks for it to come in. So I have time to design a bbq island/surround on the back patio to keep the mastiffs (2) from knocking the grill over, and to keep the wife happy with something that looks nice if we ever invite anyone over.

Soes anyone have pics they can share of what they built? Nothing fancy here, maybe a basic "L" shape with a table top at one end and small top in the middle of the "L" and then a bar top along the long side of the "L".
I am not sure if i want to run power out to this location or not.
Just something to protect the grill, and possibly a spot for people to sit along the bar top and have cool beverages. My friend is a stone mason and we talked about building it out of cinder blocks for the base and then covering that with cultured stone to match the house. Either soncrete tops or possibly granite. Not sure at this time. This will be set on an already existing concrete patio.

Thanks for your ideas and comments in advance.
Chuck

SmokeFan
03-20-2012, 12:13 PM

May not be what you are looking for but here was my solution to similar requirements.

dadsr4
03-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Try "Kamado island plans" on Google inages.

tish
03-20-2012, 12:36 PM
SmokeFan, that's simply beautiful! Very nice! :thumb:

Jaskew82
03-20-2012, 12:48 PM
If you don't mind my asking, what did the big joe cost?

Deanr
03-20-2012, 01:21 PM
http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m517/deanrs1/?action=view&current=resize2.jpg

This picture was taken prior to installing pavers. I used block construction with stone veneer. I used tile for top.

forrest2906
03-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Smokefan, thanks alot. i really like what you have done there. Very similar to what i was thinking. I was thinking leaving the Kamado in the wheeled cart, but after seeing your design I like it better. It also helps there is a firepit in the background, since that is something the wife has mentioned, and since the backyard is an acre in size, we have the room. i may ask you later for more pics if that is okay?

forrest2906
03-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Deanr, That is totally cool. A little fancier than what I was thinking, but i really like the setup.

SmokeFan
03-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Forrest2906,

Sure! I got all kinds of pics of the construction, etc.. JLMK! The whole thing is sitting on a 12' x 24' pad, and if I had it to do over, I would have made the pad larger. The project was done in stages, and like all of my projects done in stages, the plans change, er... evolve.

Still, it's a popular hangout when I'm outside cooking. It surprised me as I figured I'd be outside on my lonesome cooking while everyone was inside enjoying themselves, but people actually seem to greatly prefer being outside, sitting at the counter enjoying a drink and watching all the action at the BGE.

And by "action" I mean flashbacks, flareups, singed arm hair etc..

When the fire pit is going we turn those chairs around, and they are at about the perfect distance away from the pit. It could be better, but it works.

forrest2906
03-28-2012, 07:00 PM
I would love to see pics of your build. I am getting ready to start laying ours out and put the mason to work. Thanks, Chuck