PDA

View Full Version : Bite through skin tricks?

Cutem all Jack
03-19-2012, 06:13 PM
I cooked some leg quarters the other day and got my first good bite through skin but I'm not sure how? I smoked them on my UDS at 225 for about 1 hour 45 minutes flipped then another hour and half then turned the heat up to 275. They were awesome, was it the turning the heat up at the end that did it?

I've heard of putting them in a foil tray with a little butter toward the end of your cook but never tried it. Does it work? What are some tricks of the trade? Thanks.

cholloway
03-19-2012, 06:19 PM
I've gotten some chicken skin to crisp up by peeling it inside out and scraping some of the fat off the back side. If there's a trick to the "bite thru" everyone hopes to attain, it's lost on me.

bam
03-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Cooking a little hotter 275 + seems to help.

amv81
03-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Taking the skin off, scraping the fat off the skin until it's transparent and then putting the skin back on the thigh works for me.

rcorun
03-19-2012, 06:46 PM
same thing with me. sometimes it happens some times not. I do feel if i wait til the last minute to sauce (if i am going to sauce) the better my chance of bite thru. High temp toward the end seems to help. Maybe. Also think it has alot to do with what color socks i have on and what phase the moon is in. Keep trying

Cutem all Jack
03-19-2012, 06:50 PM
So on a leg quarter you would split the skin on the bottom side flop it over, scrape the fat off then put it back like normal? That seems like alot of work if you cooking 20 or 30.

CarolinaQue
03-19-2012, 07:55 PM
That's usually a contest trick. I agree with the cooking at a higher temp to get the bite through skin.

AustinKnight
03-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Try cooking them for a hour a side at 300* I always get great crispy skin doing this and then pull them or sauce them.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Wampus
03-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Personally, I don't think that crispy skin and bite through skin are the same thing. I get decent crispy skin by putting the heat up on the smoker above 325. Even around 400.

On the other hand, bite through skin can be done by cooking in a foil pan with a little margarine. Foil the pan 1/2 way through the cook so the chicken steams. BUT....it won't be crispy, but soft, but it should bite through.

Again....PERSONALLY I prefer crispy skin. Soft skin isn't as tasty to me. BUT, the judges just don't like it when the whole piece of skin comes off with the first bite, which is why the "bite through" is so important in competition.

Cutem all Jack
03-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Personally, I don't think that crispy skin and bite through skin are the same thing. I get decent crispy skin by putting the heat up on the smoker above 325. Even around 400.

On the other hand, bite through skin can be done by cooking in a foil pan with a little margarine. Foil the pan 1/2 way through the cook so the chicken steams. BUT....it won't be crispy, but soft, but it should bite through.

Again....PERSONALLY I prefer crispy skin. Soft skin isn't as tasty to me. BUT, the judges just don't like it when the whole piece of skin comes off with the first bite, which is why the "bite through" is so important in competition.
Soon comps is that what everybody does or is there other ways of getting the same results?

Wampus
03-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Soon comps is that what everybody does or is there other ways of getting the same results?

Honestly don't know for sure. I'm just getting into the pro sircuit this year and that's how I've learned to get it done. There may be another way, but I think that's the most popular anyway.

Pappy
03-20-2012, 05:59 AM
Taking the skin off, scraping the fat off the skin until it's transparent and then putting the skin back on the thigh works for me.

Sounds like you would have to be a taxidermist to get bite through skin. :laugh:

lastmajordude
03-20-2012, 08:47 AM
That is one reason i'm wanting a stick burner that isn't a reverse flow. It always amazed me I could NOT get crispy skin in my Electric smoker or even on the grill over coals...BUT....when i did BEERBUT chicken it was perfect krispy which is what i liked.....the only thing i can think is extended time over hot heat......apparently a common problem.

GreenDrake
03-20-2012, 09:07 AM
I'm a scraper, and I get bite through every time. Easy as pie if you practice and change your methods enough times.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/motorcade1/2012%20BBQ/chickie4.jpg

Golden Toad BBQ
03-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Cook HOT! (But we're still chasing consistent bite through skin...)

Toad

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
03-20-2012, 09:31 AM
I prefer crispy skin when I eat chicken at home. At comps most of the time if you get soft bite thru skin you don't even notice that the skin is even there.