PDA

View Full Version : Boston Butt Help

Jetmek
03-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Today is my first time smoking a Boston butt in a foil pan instead of on the grates. I just checked on it and there are a lot of juices in the pan after just a few hours. Should I remove the juices, or just let it continue? I want a firm bark on it since my family enjoys it that way. I appreciate all your advice.

cpw
03-19-2012, 02:00 PM
If it were me, I'd pour some of the juice into a fat separator for later use, and keep the rest in there to help it so the butt doesn't dry out. After you pull/chop the pork later, pour the de-fatted juice back onto the meat for added flavor/juiciness.

kennyd0118
03-19-2012, 02:03 PM
^^^^^+1

-Kenny

Chef Jim
03-19-2012, 02:11 PM
You probably will not get the heavy bark you are looking for using a foil pan. That said, you will have a very juicy butt. I don't like stopping the process to pour off fat drippings so I would leave it alone.

Stop looking!

BigBlock
03-19-2012, 02:28 PM
roll with it (Test and Tune)

Grillman
03-19-2012, 02:29 PM
I like to use a foil pan when cooking, as it makes for easy cleanup.
One thing you may want to try when using a foil pan is to either put a small
grate in the foil pan to raise the meat up off of the bottom, or use some
crumpled up foil under the meat to do the same thing, and raise it up off
of the bottom of the pan.
This should keep it from sitting in the grease, but will also keep the moisture below
it to help keep it moist....although "Butts" usually have enough fat in them that
drying out usually isn't a problem.

lola
03-19-2012, 03:15 PM
I also use the wrack in the bottom of the foil pan, that way dripping can be saved for later use or at the very least not make a mess in the grill.

Team DD
03-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Next time, try smoking the butts on the grate till you get an IT of 165, then move them to the foil pan until you get an IT of 195 and see how you like that. That should give you some bark and some juice.

nmayeux
03-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Next time, try smoking the butts on the grate till you get an IT of 165, then move them to the foil pan until you get an IT of 195 and see how you like that. That should give you some bark and some juice.

I was going to say the same thing. Free until you are in the 160s, then foil. If I am doing several butts, I use the big steam table pans from Sams or Costco. Also when foiling, I spray down liberally with our bourbon and apple mop.