PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Love the UDS

Sly-one
03-19-2012, 12:16 AM
I had a couple of side of ribs in a cryo-vac pack that I wanted to cook today. When I opened the pack they had been prepared semi-St Louis style. The flap and the membrane were removed, but the chine was still across the top and that was OK with me just as they were. I seasoned with SM Season-all and SM Cherry rub, then fired up the UDS minion style with a few chunks of cherry wood.
One thing I love about the UDS is it's dependability. When it got to 200, I put the 2 sides on, put on the Weber lid and adjusted the air intakes to their normal setting. Then I went inside for a nap and some chores for the next 2 hours. Without having to check the UDS, I knew it would run at 240-250. When I checked after the first 2 hours, it was dead on 250. I spritzed the ribs with apple juice, wrapped them in foil and wanted to go for 45 minutes, but got busy and let them go for an hour. Then I unwrapped and put them back on for another 20-30 minutes.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o64/Sly-one/Ribs3-18-12.jpg

This is one of the truly beautiful things about the UDS. It's trustworthy. You don't have to continually tend it, you just set it and come back when the time is right. Greyeagle terms it as being just an "honest" cooker, and I have to agree.
Baked beans, jalapeno potato chips, smoked ribs and sweet tea. Now that's livin'. Sorry about not having any plated pron, but as usual, we were too hungry. All you get is this: :laugh:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o64/Sly-one/RibsGone3-18-12.jpg

tortaboy
03-19-2012, 12:21 AM
How do you like your UDS compared to your egg?

Sly-one
03-19-2012, 12:40 AM
How do you like your UDS compared to your egg?

Different weapons for different jobs. My BGE is a medium, so I'm limited on space and although it will do one side of ribs easily, I like to cook at least two sides at a time, and I use the UDS.
The UDS is used for ribs, pork butts and if I'm doing a goodly number of chicken pieces.
The BGE is used for just about everything else, such as burgers, smaller amounts of chicken & chuck roasts, etc. It will also cook much, much hotter than the UDS if needed.
I love them both, but they each have their own jobs. I could easily survive with either one, but it's soooo nice having them both. Both are very fuel efficient and both are pretty much hands off. And, both are smarter than I am when it comes to controlling temperatures, so I've learned to just let them do their own thing. :wink:
If I had an XL BGE, I could maybe exist easier not having the UDS, but it is just such a darned good, dependable and "honest" cooker than it would be hard to part with it. Oh, and no, I don't have the $1500-$2000 to go out and buy an XL BGE. To be honest, the only reason I can afford to have a BGE now is that I got my medium for a steal ($100 with accessories) from a guy that just wanted it off his patio because he and his wife became vegetarians and he bought a gas grill to roast the veggies.

tortaboy
03-19-2012, 01:23 AM
You got a steal...but I'm sure you know that. :thumb:

Phubar
03-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Gotta love the UDS!