PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Pork Injection

kwas68
03-18-2012, 08:33 PM
I used a name-brand pork injection on a practice run this weekend and while I was happy with the moisture retention, I liked the taste of the Chris Lilly phosphate-free injection better. I thought that the pork almost tasted beefy.

Just wondering if any of you guys are whipping up your own injections using phosphates (Ames Phos)? I was thinking I might get the best of both worlds.

And if you are, how are the judges responding? Are judges now accustomed to the taste that commercial injections provide?

Plowboy
03-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Only way to know is run with it and see. Of what I would call the four big names in comp injections (Butcher, FAB, Kosmo, and Smoke on Wheels), only the SOW products are phosphate free. You could add if you wanted to. I'd say Andy with SOW is doing pretty well on his own without it. So, I think you can make a case for both Phos and Phos-free.

If I missed any in my top 4, anyone shout out other names. Not trying to exclude.

Gowan
03-19-2012, 02:25 AM
I've never used a commercial pork injection. Don't know that I could name anyone in NW Georgia who does, but I know tons of teams who mix their own.

The commercial preparations for brisket have some following here, but pork and chicken, not so much. Of course I only know what we do and what other cooks have told me they do. Mebbe they are all liars! B)

Smokin' Hicks
03-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Kosmos puts out a product called moisture magic it is just the phosphate blend you then add any liquid or spices you want to it...flavorless....its a great base to make your own injections

Plowboy
03-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Kosmos puts out a product called moisture magic it is just the phosphate blend you then add any liquid or spices you want to it...flavorless....its a great base to make your own injections

Butcher and the Ingredient Store (Fab) have the same raw phos products. Just no fancy marketing name.

big matt
03-19-2012, 11:21 AM
At a contest out here a week ago we got a comment card that said"I dislike phosphate based injections the waterlogged texture and chemical flavor is not pleasant"..I thought it tasted great and the slices were juicy as can be..but I guess we had a judge that was looking for something else..I know of at least 2 other cooks that got the same comment card at this contest.

AZScott
03-19-2012, 11:40 AM
That's a weird comment Matt and another case of a judge/someone not really knowing what they are tasting but think they do. I'd say in 99.9% of cases phosphates taste like nothing although there is an exception to a couple of phosphates and I know those 3 don't sell those.

johnlewis469
03-19-2012, 02:33 PM
I really do believe that a back to basics approach is gonna start working again. About a decade ago, all these chemical injections started working. But now, everyone's meat is tasting the same. Sure, phosphates improve moisture, but what about the generic beef and pork flavoring ingredients that are added in, plus all the soy product. I'm all for the make your own stock from bones from scrach, and then maybe add in a touch of a phoshate blend for added moisture retention. Think thats way better than a product that tastes like a ramen noodle spice pack...

johnlewis469
03-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Also, I agree with that "beefy" taste you describe from the mail order injections

big matt
03-19-2012, 03:00 PM
That's a weird comment Matt and another case of a judge/someone not really knowing what they are tasting but think they do. I'd say in 99.9% of cases phosphates taste like nothing although there is an exception to a couple of phosphates and I know those 3 don't sell those.

And the thing is I only used very little..and I couldnt taste it in the final product.

big brother smoke
03-19-2012, 03:20 PM
And the thing is I only used very little..and I couldnt taste it in the final product.

Glad I did not get your table, Matt, damn!:jaw:

Stoke&Smoke
03-19-2012, 03:50 PM
kind of like "tastes like lighter fluid" comment cards when you never use lighter fluid

mgcolby
03-20-2012, 01:10 PM
I really do believe that a back to basics approach is gonna start working again. About a decade ago, all these chemical injections started working. But now, everyone's meat is tasting the same. Sure, phosphates improve moisture, but what about the generic beef and pork flavoring ingredients that are added in, plus all the soy product. I'm all for the make your own stock from bones from scrach, and then maybe add in a touch of a phoshate blend for added moisture retention. Think thats way better than a product that tastes like a ramen noodle spice pack...

I have to declare that I am new to the board and I am competing in my first comp in May. I have been Q'n for 8+ years and started with Brisket.

I have been all over the boards looking for comp tips, and I keep reading about people injecting their Briskets and Pork butts. And for the life of me I can't bring myself to do that.

First thing I notice about injected brisket is that they tend to look gross with the injection tracks and general discolorization of the meat. Now I've cooked a dry brisket or two :-D, but generally my briskets come out moist and tender without anything added to them except a coat of mustard and dry rub. Same with my pork, its pretty hard to mess pork up in the first place, but it comes out moist without an injection.

My question is, do the judges expect the flavor profile of the injection and dock you accordingly if its not there?