PDA

View Full Version : Drift wood

mrkkti
08-03-2005, 12:48 PM
I was reading an article of great beaches around the world. One of them mentioned a beach plentiful of driftwood for romatic fires. Being the BBQ guy I am, I immediately thought instead of "How would that stuff be for Queing?"

Any thoughts or has anyone used driftwood in BBQ? What, if anything would the salt add to the flavor?

Arlin_MacRae
08-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Remembering the driftwood fires of my youth, I think all you would get would be heat from those, unless there's some salt water still in them.
Between not knowing what KIND of wood it was or what substances it came in contact with on its long float, I'd be a little leery of using it on meat.

Trout_man22
08-03-2005, 01:39 PM
I agree with Arlin about not using it. Who knows what oil slick it passed.

Bill-Chicago
08-03-2005, 02:33 PM
I agree with Arlin about not using it. Who knows what oil slick it passed.

Or floating whale dung

mrkkti
08-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Not that there is a lot of drift wood in North Dakota, I was just curious.

You know you have a problem when you look at trees, instead of seeing Gods beauty or what ever, you think of how good it would smoke something!

qman
08-03-2005, 03:31 PM
I agree with everyone that using driftwood to smoke with is not a good idea. That having been said, I remember roasting many hot dogs and marshmallows over a driftwood fire on the beach back in the days of my yoot.

Hoorenga
08-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Most of the trees that fall in the ocan around here are eigher Doug fur or cedar with possibly a mandrona or spruce and mabye an alder if you'r lucky. Probably wouldn't kill you but it sure would be hit or miss.

BrooklynQ
08-03-2005, 05:16 PM
I always found driftwood tough to burn. It required a really high heat to keep going . Maybe it's because it's drift wood from the ocean. All that salt must have done something to it.

If wood washes up on a lake - is it still called driftwood?

Neil
08-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Yes, wood adrift on a lake is still driftwood. Plenty of driftwood on the shores of Lake Michigan. I too have cooked many a hot dog and roasted many a marshmallow over driftwood fires.