PDA

View Full Version : Look what I stumbled across

Cabin Fever
03-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Earlier today I was cleaning out a shelf in the garage where I keep some extra canned food when I came across these two forgotten goodies by McCormick. It looks like I bought these at a Big Lots somewhere between 4-6 years ago and both were unopened. A quick Google search didn't come up with anything, but I'm guessing they didn't stick around long because they were pretty messy.

I do know that these were the only two flavors McCormick made though. Anyway, I took a quick taste test of both and they were fine so I grilled some cheap steaks with hickory on one and mesquite on the other (sorry, no pron). The taste is great, but 30% sticks to the spoon you use to rub the paste on, 30% sticks to the plate you have the meat on and 30% ends up rubbing off during the grilling process. That last 10% is actually what sticks to the meat for flavor and what was there was excellent.

Big Lots is a closeout store which is why they were only $1.30, but I think their original price was around $4.00-$4.50. With that said, I just thought I'd share this for the heck of it to see if anyone else remembered these paste rubs.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/Midnightslasher83/GrillMates.jpg

Skidder
03-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Isn't there a shelf life ?

colonel00
03-17-2012, 09:29 PM
I love Big Lots. Usually not much there for me but I stop in regardless. Not too long ago they had a bunch of Mrs. Renfro's salsas/sauces so I stocked up on those.

Cabin Fever
03-18-2012, 09:31 PM

Yup, but I tasted them anyway and they didn't kill me so I said what the heck. :-D

buccaneer
03-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Yup, but I tasted them anyway and they didn't kill me so I said what the heck. :-D

It doesn't happen now....it happens later.:shock:

porkingINpublic
03-18-2012, 10:06 PM

you sound just like my wife... haha jk:laugh:

Cabin Fever
03-19-2012, 12:45 AM
It doesn't happen now....it happens later.:shock:

Well, I'm still alive more than 24 hours later. :becky:

Fishhook
03-19-2012, 06:21 AM
I believe my nose before i believe in "expiration dates"..the nose knows