PDA

View Full Version : Wsm

IowaWildHogsBbq
03-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Finally got my wife talked into buying a smokey mountain for the big meats at comps the old cheapo chargriller was to much babysitting. My question to you guys that use them for comps what kind of charcoal do you use? And without a guru system what are your burn times? I was refueling every 2 hours with the chargrill anything over that I will be happy. What about the water pan alot of people I have heard say leave it dry and put foil in it. Thanks

Ron_L
03-17-2012, 04:17 PM
18 1/2 or 22 1/2?

For longer cooks I prefer briquettes. I haven't fired up a WSM for a while but I used to use the Rancher hardwood briquettes. Any good hardwood briquette would be fine. For higher temp cooks I used lump.

For lower temp cooks I've gotten 18 hours out of an 18 1/2" WSM in perfect conditions (warm temps, no wind or rain)

accuseal
03-17-2012, 04:37 PM
In my 22.5 I can get 12 hours out of a load of briquettes no problem. Wind is your biggest enemy

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

SeaDogBBQ
03-17-2012, 04:53 PM
I have a 22 and get over 12 hours using the minion method @ 225 degrees. I use hardwood briquettes vice lump. No water in the pan for me. Runs like a champ...get a guru or stoker and its even better!

SeaDogBBQ
03-17-2012, 04:56 PM
18 1/2 or 22 1/2?
I haven't fired up a WSM for a while but I used to use the Rancher hardwood briquettes.

I love the Rancher brand of briquettes! I load up the garage when the bags go on sale by me. :clap2:

IowaWildHogsBbq
03-17-2012, 05:36 PM
I am getting a 22.5 I know some people they use just good old kingsford. I am gonna probaly cook at 250 or so.

bmanMA
03-17-2012, 05:36 PM
On my 18.5 I used to use Blue bag and get good burn times (6-8 hrs no problem). It tended to get choked out from all that ash and I'd have to go out and take the cylinder off and stir the fire.

Then I started using the Royal Oak briquettes from DoItBest. Much better.

Then I started using Wicked Good lump and never looked back. Just need to pack it in there.

I always use water.

JD McGee
03-17-2012, 08:58 PM
We use all bullets and blue bag Kingsford...:cool:

TomB
03-18-2012, 05:07 AM
I love my WSMs.

I use mostly KB (about 80%) with some mixed lump and wood chiunks and smoke at 250. Use the Minion method and you should get a great burn time like the others are saying.

When arranging the fuel, I place a metal coffee can with the bottom removed in the middle of the area then pack the fuel tighly around the can and the charcoal ring. After getting the KB coals ready in a chimney, they go in the can. Then remove the can with some long pliers.

I don't use any temp control device - haven't found it necessary with the WSM. Do use a Maverick 732 to keep track of temp for the big meats.

As far as the pan, I leave it dry - just wrap in foil for easy clean-up.

Shotgun
03-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Great smokers! We would get 10-12 hrs with kingsford. Good luck

Harbormaster
03-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Then I started using the Royal Oak briquettes from DoItBest. Much better. Royal Oak Chef's Select natural briquettes are what I have been using. Just did a burn in an 18.5 WSM using Humphrey lump. Full ring, over 10 hour burn, and still had nearly half the charcoal left.

Leatherheadiowa
03-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Hey Shannon, I as well use the Kingsford Blue for my WSM. With the pellet cookers I have I use my WSM when the pellet cookers are on the competition trailer. I used the WSM a few weeks back and there was a slight breeze and it was in the 40's and I got about 4 hours from a load in order to maintain 250.
The WSM is good when the weather is cooperating otherwise you will need a wind screen and a water heater blanket to accomodate mother nature.
Just an FYI, I saw a Traeger in Garner on CL for $299 I believe.

Stoke&Smoke
03-18-2012, 08:21 AM
I use RO lump 90+% of the time, no issues. just pack it in a little more carefully. I like the flavor I get with it better than K. More wood, no filler I would think. But for your first couple of times anyway, you might want to go with briquettes just to get used to the way it cooks, fire control, etc.

Lion Bout The Q
03-18-2012, 11:36 AM
I use kingsford and RO lump mixed and line the wsm between the bottom and middle section with foil for a seal. I get an easy 12 hour burn at a comp with no guru. Bring it up to temp slow and get it dialed in, it will stay at the temp you want all night.

CMALANGA
03-19-2012, 11:09 AM
I use briquettes either Royal Oak or Wicked Good. Get well over 12 hours using Minion method. Have even transferred coals to other cookers using lump that ran out of steam. Good control with the briquettes.

SHBBQ
03-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Humphrey's lump + WSM = Success!!!!!:grin:

boogiesnap
03-19-2012, 04:08 PM
i use stubbs now. great flavor, low ash, and a pretty good burn time. i typically run pretty hot 275* and north and can get 6-8 hours before starting to need to refuel if going much longer.

i use 2 22.5's for comps. am thinking about 18's though.