PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I wonder....

frohe
03-17-2012, 04:12 PM
if we're trying to get too fancy with the way we do up our BBQ. Rubs, sauces, injecting, mops, etc. I feel sometimes I loose sight of the idea that I'm wanting to take this piece of meat I have from the store. cook it over a wood fire and serve it to me and my family to enjoy around the dinner table. I want em to enjoy the flavor of the meat cooked over an open wood fire not all the spices and flavors I've used hoping to enhance the meat.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying doing any of these things mess stuff up. I'm just wondering if things has got too fancy sometimes.

What do y'all think?

landarc
03-17-2012, 04:16 PM
I tend to do a variety of cooks throughout a year, there are many cooks where I do a more simple process, using just what I call my 'mother rub' which is primarily salt, pepper, chile powder and garlic and onion granules. No injections, special formulas or secret ingredients.

cliffcarter
03-17-2012, 04:18 PM
I agree, The KISS Rule is your friend IMHO.

CarolinaQue
03-17-2012, 04:53 PM
SOme of the best pork I ever had was just sprinkled with salt and pepper and smoked. I agree...KISS works best for the home front.

SirPorkaLot
03-17-2012, 05:02 PM
I agree!
Here are some Naked Ribs I did earlier this year.http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123970&highlight=naked

mbshop
03-17-2012, 05:25 PM
not that i got fancy before but i enjoy stuff really simple. s&p with garlic powder added sometimes. thats it. rarely do i had sauce on the side. its just how i enjoy it. for sure i don't complain if someone does it another way.

aquablue22
03-17-2012, 06:06 PM
i do naked butts and ribs ALL the time, I always do a bunch of either and vac u suck and freeze it. It always seems to be the most popular in this house.

Skidder
03-17-2012, 06:13 PM
I would have to agree with you. Some of my favorite ribs are just salt and pepper direct grilled over hot coals for 2 mins. a side then 40 to 45 mins. indirect.

sandiegobbq
03-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Some like it simple.

Some like in fancy.

Thank goodness there is variety in life.

mytmouz
03-18-2012, 02:11 AM
I like rubs, but I have not found a reason to inject yet. I enjoy the outer bark, and the natural meat juicyness...

Panthers65
03-18-2012, 10:06 PM
I can see getting fancy and trying to one up someone in competition, but few people realize how simple BBQ actually is.

Case in point: the "I don't like fatties" thread. I tried 3 or 4 different fatties when I first started filled with all sorts of crap. Have done a few where I cut the ground sausage roll straight out of the wrapper, put some seasoning on it, and smoked it for an hour, and those have been my favorite by far. I may slowly start adding things back to it, but my fatties will never evolve into the "everything but the kitchen sink" monsters that I started with.

gtr
03-18-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm usually a fan of simple, but sometimes I feel like doing something complex. I think cooking, like anything else, is a function of someone's personality. Some folks like everything to be precise and just so, some are kinda sloppy (that would be me), some like to go simple, some complicated, some folks are always trying different dishes, and some get a few down and stick to 'em. As long as everybody gets what they want out of the process, it's all good. :thumb:

And hopefully, if someone isn't getting what they want out of cooking, they'll adjust what they're doing.

Rover24
03-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Every year, when me and my buddies go camping, we cook up huge ribeyes cave man style with absolutely no seasoning or preparation of any kind, on the campfire coals. Every year, I say that the steak is the best I've ever had. Probably has a little to do with the company and location, but I make it a point to try to get back to basics every now and then. Sometimes I experiment with new techniques/recipes/ingredients/cookers so much that doing something simply, also feels like experimenting.

Sly-one
03-19-2012, 12:27 AM
"Simple" rules!

captndan
03-20-2012, 08:24 AM
I think using the fancy stuff helps narrow your taste preferences. Cooking the trendy little things adds to the cooking knowledge. After a while the novelty will wear off and you can make what appeals to you. I'll bet a pork butt you will end up with KISS.

Jaskew82
03-20-2012, 08:48 AM
I disagree. It's like saying, "Progression for the sake of progression is a bad thing".
As time goes on, people invent and innovate, its our nature. We are taking a great idea and just improving upon it (imo).

That being said, it is ultimately up to your preferences and taste buds. Do what feels and tastes right for you.

teej
03-20-2012, 09:01 AM
I usually just rub my pork butts with brown sugar and smoke them. I use more complex rubs for ribs, and chicken usually gets cooked naked and served with sauce on the side.