PDA

View Full Version : Bj's or Sam's

Cutem all Jack
03-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Which one would be the best to become a member of for meat and q supplies?

tish
03-16-2012, 09:18 PM
I belong to BJ's, and I'm gonna say Sam's. lol I've been trying to get a full packer, and have been unsuccessful so far. I keep hearing people say you can get them at BJ's, but I haven't found that to be the case. :sad:

jimithing78
03-16-2012, 09:43 PM
We don't have BJ's around here but we do have Sam's. Costco beats the pants off Sam's IMO. Quality of product and customer service are the best.

tish
03-16-2012, 09:47 PM
^^^I've heard that about Costco. Wish I had one around here. BJ's isn't doing it for me.

Saiko
03-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Costco

colonel00
03-16-2012, 10:16 PM
I am happy with what I get at Sam's. I cannot compare to a BJ's as we don't have them around here. It has been a while since I have been in Costco but it sounds like I need to compare them again. I had just always heard that Costco had limited selections and some odd things like only boneless butts and such.

Anyway, I would suggest that you check them both out before joining. I know Sam's will at least let you come in and check stuff out to see if you like what they carry. I moved from Costco to Sam's years ago because of other things aside from meat. Sam's just has stuff that I buy. In the year that I had a Costco membership I think I went 4 times. I am at Sam's now easily twice a month on average.

Cutem all Jack
03-16-2012, 10:21 PM
We have a costco but it's 45 min away. SAMs and bjs are 26 min. Is it worth the extra gas for Costco?

colonel00
03-16-2012, 10:26 PM
We have a costco but it's 45 min away. SAMs and bjs are 26 min. Is it worth the extra gas for Costco?

It might be worth the gas depending on your shopping habits. For me, I go to Sam's to buy in bulk and that lasts me a while usually. So, under that thinking, an extra 20 minutes drive once a month isn't that bad. However, if you think you will be shopping on a weekly basis then it will make a difference. Again, though, I would suggest taking a day and comparing all three. Take note of who carries the meats and other things that you think you will buy regularly.

Saiko
03-16-2012, 10:33 PM

I use Costco for babybacks, tri-tip, pork loin chops, spares, lobster tails and halibut. I'm a big fan of juicing so I also use them for bulk carrots, apples, grapes, strawberries, blackberries, etc. I use Restaurant Depot for brisket, tri-tip, pre-cut St. Louis ribs, bone-in pork butts (Costco only has boneless), and turkey breasts.
I use Whole Foods for chicken and fresh fish. I use Publix for the staples like pork loin, hamburger, regular grocery shopping, etc.

I just go with the flow. Like colonel00 said, try a sample of them all and see what fits your taste/budget.

Gore
03-16-2012, 10:35 PM
I would love to have a membership for BJs. I don't think there is any comparison at all. Who would want to go to Sam's or Costco when you could have BJs? :crazy: Why would you even go shopping at all? Is this a trick question?

Saiko
03-16-2012, 10:39 PM
I would love to have a membership for BJs. I don't think there is any comparison at all. Who would want to go to Sam's or Costco when you could have BJs? :crazy: Why would you even go shopping at all? Is this a trick question?

:eusa_clap There are so many things I want so say but I don't want to have this end up in woodpile. :-D

BBQ Bandit
03-16-2012, 10:53 PM
BJ's for ribs (beef, babyback, and spares) ... only have too expensive flats.
Wegman's for pork butts and steak cuts... and too expensive flats.
Wal-mart has 'SELECT' packers - sometimes (only considered for practice).

Golden Toad BBQ
03-17-2012, 01:22 AM
I don't even know what BJ's is...

Toad

Nomo4me
03-17-2012, 02:29 AM
There's a "cultural aspect" as well. We've been Costco members for many years. On a whim I walked through a Sams yesterday for the first time. I thought the it was a cheap imitation of Costco. But then, I don't shop at Walmart so there's my bias for you.

Costco is great. I wouldn't have bought a first time membership to Sams based on the overall feel of the place.

BluegrassSmoke
03-17-2012, 06:24 AM
I don't even know what BJ's is...

Toad

I didn't think a bj had anything to do with cooking? :doh:

Shows what I know.....:heh::becky:

Bubba Gup
03-17-2012, 06:57 AM
You might also want to consider Restaurant Depot. You have to have a business license to get a membership (its free), but KCBS members can get a 1 day shopping pass for free. There's one in ATL and they consistently have whole packers, all kinds of ribs, etc. Cash n carry @ wholesale prices.

BBQ Bandit
03-17-2012, 07:49 AM
BJ's Wholesale Club - a regional store chain along the Eastern states.
http://www.bjs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/LocatorIndexView?storeId=10201&catalogId=10201&langId=-1

accuseal
03-17-2012, 08:12 AM
We have all 3 in Cleveland. I've settled on Costco. My only complaint is no Packers, just flats!

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

ShutYrMouth
03-17-2012, 08:36 AM
never been in bj's.
i like sam's. i was a costco guy for years, there's not one real close to me now, so we got a sam's membership.

one thing i like about sam's is they have BONE IN butts.
costco does boneless butts only.
fyi

NJ Ed
03-17-2012, 08:52 AM
We have been happy with the quality at Sam's club. The big advantage to BJ's is they accept manufacturers coupons and Sam's does not.

Wilcox farmer
03-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Member of both. Costco has better quality!

Big George's BBQ
03-17-2012, 10:07 AM
I prefer Costco Have never been in a Restaurant Depot. There is one about 1/2 hr from me

realspaazz
03-17-2012, 10:29 AM
We have memberships at both Sam's and costco. I buy almost all of my meat at sam's. We have had a free three month trial to BJ's and it was similar stuff. I think that you can get a one day membership at any of the clubs. The meat tends to be different from one location of each club to another (sometimes in both quality and selection). Personally, I would do a walk through of your local choices before signing up.

Cutem all Jack
03-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Restaurant depot is about 1 and 1/2 hours away. Is it that much cheaper than Costco or Sam's?

Saiko
03-17-2012, 11:11 AM
I use both Costco and RD, they each have some advantages. Some things RD carries that Costco does not:

Bone-in pork butts (Costco is usually boneless)
Packer briskets (Costco only has trimmed flats, although if you ask they will give you a pre-trimmed flat from the back
Pre-cut St. Louis style ribs
Bulk tri-tip (usually 10-12 in a cryovac, which I freeze individually in a vac-pack)
Costco does have trip-tip, usually in packs of 2. They are almost always better marbled than the RD versions, but also more expenses.