PDA

View Full Version : Forgive the Newb...

mradzicki
03-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Hey folks,

Just wanted to ask a question that's probably been asked 1000 times. For grilling steaks, can I get a grill using wood or charcoal? I am pretty good at low and slow, but not too good with heat if I'm not using gas.

Thanks in advance!

- Mike R

BBQ Bandit
03-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Yes you can - its all depends how close the grilling surface is to the heat source.

palehorse
03-16-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm new too, but grilling has always been my thing. Charcoal/lump need air, so get them vents open and leave the lid/chimney full bore. You'll blow through the fuel...but I can get 450*-500* easy on most charcoal grills.

That's just enough for on 12 oz. can on each side of meat. Your mileage may vary...

lastmajordude
03-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Well I'm a newbie here but have been grilling on charcoal for years. Recently I have been adding wood in with the charcoal. Academy sports has huge bags of roughly 2x10 inch peices of oak or pecan for 10 dollars. To me the flavor is so much better and puts out more BTU's than just charcoal.....just an opinion.

criffaaa1
03-16-2012, 05:29 PM
If you have access to it try lump charcoal, it burns hotter than most briquette types.

Sent via Criffvo

Anchors Smokeshop
03-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Can an old stoker (non-wifi) be updated to become wifi?

caseydog
03-16-2012, 06:25 PM
You can get a lot more heat out of charcoal than you can on a gas grill.

Many of us set up two zones on our charcoal grills, with hot coals on one side, and no coals on the other.

That lets you seer your steaks over scorching heat with the lid off, and finish the meat to desired doneness on the "cool" side with the lid on.

Some people do that in reverse order, but I personally prefer to seer first, and cook second.

CD

deguerre
03-16-2012, 06:30 PM
You can also fire up a chimney of wood chunks just as easily as briquettes...HOT fire.

blackdog043
03-16-2012, 10:44 PM
What caseydog said!!! If you don't have a grill, look on craigslist for a 22.5 weber kettle, it's a good investment.

mradzicki
03-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I re-read my question and realized I typed it wrong.

I have a charcoal grill, and I've only ever used charcoal in them. Started with briquettes and now use only lump. I was just wondering if wood chunks would burn hotter than lump charcoal. I'm looking to get very high heat for searing steaks.

Thanks!

- Mike R

J'ville Grill
03-18-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't see any reason why you can't burn just wood in a charcoal grill. Should burn just as hot as lump, just might take a little longer to get there.