PDA

View Full Version : Dry aged brisket questions

Wampus
03-14-2012, 10:17 AM
I put a similar thread up in the comp forum, but I think this will make an interesting GENERAL Q topic too.

If a whole packer brisket is dry aged, then after aging, aggressively trimmed (as many competition briskets are anyway) especially to remove the dry "skin" on the aged brisket, what considerations would have to be made to cooking this vs a NON aged brisket or a wet aged brisket?

I mean, I was contemplating this last night and the following questions popped into my mind:

Would the lack of moisture in the brisket affect the cook time?
Does the dry aging process further harden the connective tissue or loosen it, which could affect the stall period?
What about injection? What's the point of adding moisture back into a dry aged brisket if the whole point of dry aging it was to remove said moisture? Further, if injecting IS used, would it make the brisket TOO beefy? Would the nitrites/nitrates affect the meat differently?
I'm more familiar with dry aging steaks or a lean roast (like prime rib), so does this process favor lean meats or does it matter?

I mean I know that a well-cooked dry aged steak isn't dry, so I'm not really worried about the brisket being dry or tough, but......hmmmmmm?

Anyone?

ssbbqguy
03-14-2012, 10:59 AM
I think it would fall into the same category as Berkshire Pork does in the pork entry. Too rich of taste to realize it's just aged differently or a better grade of animal. I grew up working for a butcher that dry aged beef the old way, with little refrigeration. Needless to say I didn't eat beef for a long time, for I was the guy that got to scrape away the mold and other funky happenings. It wasn't until years later that I found out he serviced some of the better places in Denver. Back to your question, it's not worth the risk of doing it wrong for one and two the taste would be foreign, meaning more lack of appreciation from the judges.I don't think it would be like a steak. Just my thoughts. Steve.

rwyatt
03-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Interesting thoughts. I have wonder this as well. Maybe someone here has tried it. Sounds like ssbbqguy has some good insight though.

landarc
03-14-2012, 12:10 PM
My guesses...

1. There will be less water, which would mean less evaporation. I would expect that this means the meat will reach temperature faster.

2. There will be less connective tissue due to breakdown, which also means it will reach temperature faster.

3. I would expect that there will be less, or maybe no, stall. This would be similar to a Wagyu brisket, in that a Wagyu cooks faster with little to no stall.

4. Flavor will be a little gamier, which could be a good thing, or not.

5. Depends on why and what you inject. If you inject with a phosphate injection, you will still have the same benefit that it offers for a non-aged cut. The phosphates will still work as dry aged meat is not devoid of moisture. If you inject with a MSG or glutamate product, it will still work, as it will still affect the perception of flavor of the meat, as glutamates work on your tongue, not the meat.

frohe
03-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Take a peek at this. It may have a few answers for you.

http://www.beefresearch.org/CMDocs/BeefResearch/Dry%20Aging%20of%20Beef.pdf (http://www.beefresearch.org/CMDocs/BeefResearch/Dry%20Aging%20of%20Beef.pdf)

CarolinaQue
03-14-2012, 04:18 PM
I used to dry them all the time when I had a 2nd fridge to dedicate to it. There is a difference in my opinion. I never injected them, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You're doing it more to add flavor than moisture. I always found the difference to be more texture than flavor though. I would only age them for about 7 days to stay on the safe side. Try it...you'll like it!!!

Wampus
03-14-2012, 05:15 PM
My guesses...

1. There will be less water, which would mean less evaporation. I would expect that this means the meat will reach temperature faster.

2. There will be less connective tissue due to breakdown, which also means it will reach temperature faster.

3. I would expect that there will be less, or maybe no, stall. This would be similar to a Wagyu brisket, in that a Wagyu cooks faster with little to no stall.

4. Flavor will be a little gamier, which could be a good thing, or not.

5. Depends on why and what you inject. If you inject with a phosphate injection, you will still have the same benefit that it offers for a non-aged cut. The phosphates will still work as dry aged meat is not devoid of moisture. If you inject with a MSG or glutamate product, it will still work, as it will still affect the perception of flavor of the meat, as glutamates work on your tongue, not the meat.

These are my guesses as well.

I'm so glad I'm finally as smart as you.....:shock:

...unless we're both wrong of course....in which case I'm STILL as smart as you!:thumb:

clikover
03-14-2012, 05:32 PM
I had a bad experience with cooking one that I got from a local butcher shop that has been around forever and is famous for dry aging. This said, I'm not a brisket expert, yet. It didn't cook per normal expectations, so I farked it up...or it would have been dry anyway, who knows. My personal feeling is that it's not the best idea, as it changes everything you know about brisket cooking and all the regular techniques. So, I have not gone back there to get another. Not sure I ever will. I do love aged steak, but the cooking technique is very different there...and I'm cooking it really rare. I don't know, I just know the dry aged brisket behaved differently on the pit.

landarc
03-14-2012, 06:23 PM
So, now you can see there is either little, or no, benefit to being as smart as I am.

smokeyokie
03-14-2012, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=landarc;1980148]My guesses...

I believe that dry aging a brisket even a choice angus will never, render it as even close to a waygu.... I have cooked several of these which I am sure several people have and the no stall,fat rendering faster is due to the genetics of the animal, that fat will start to break down at room temp on a waygu never on an angus of any grade these are two very different animals in terms of meat quality... Just my opinion...

CarolinaQue
03-14-2012, 06:36 PM
I've cook both dry aged choice and waygu...I'll take the dry aged any day of the week!

CarolinaQue
03-14-2012, 06:39 PM
I had a bad experience with cooking one that I got from a local butcher shop that has been around forever and is famous for dry aging. This said, I'm not a brisket expert, yet. It didn't cook per normal expectations, so I farked it up...or it would have been dry anyway, who knows. My personal feeling is that it's not the best idea, as it changes everything you know about brisket cooking and all the regular techniques. So, I have not gone back there to get another. Not sure I ever will. I do love aged steak, but the cooking technique is very different there...and I'm cooking it really rare. I don't know, I just know the dry aged brisket behaved differently on the pit.

Was the brisket aged on a hanging steer, or was it cut and aged as just the brisket? I believe that the aging process has a great affect on the over all out come.

smokeyokie
03-14-2012, 06:41 PM
I've cook both dry aged choice and waygu...I'll take the dry aged any day of the week!
I was just stating the fact that they are 2 very different cuts of meat, due to the genetics, I didnt make a statement that one was better than the other, price wise the dry aged would win hands down every time.... just sayin:becky:

CarolinaQue
03-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Oh...I didn't take your statement as such. I was just stating that I think waygu is over rated for the money. With a little know how and patience, one can save them selves a lot of money!!!

smokeyokie
03-14-2012, 06:47 PM
I didnt take it as such.... I guess my reply sounded that way :doh: my wife says I am not very tactful sometimes:shocked: no harm no foul:thumb:

CarolinaQue
03-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Funny...mine says the same thing about me???!!!:loco:

landarc
03-14-2012, 06:52 PM
To clarify, I am not equating wagyu with dry aged beef in terms of fat rendering. I am suggesting that the lack of moisture and breakdown of connective tissue might create a similar effect.

CarolinaQue
03-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Well..I agree that the beef will act differently. Dry aged does cook faster, just like an aged steak will.

smokeyokie
03-14-2012, 06:55 PM
To clarify, I am not equating wagyu with dry aged beef in terms of fat rendering. I am suggesting that the lack of moisture and breakdown of connective tissue might create a similar effect.
Sorry landarc look at mine and carolinaQue post, I was just stating info, wasnt calling anyone out:tape: Smoke on Brothers!!:thumb:

landarc
03-14-2012, 06:58 PM
I know Billy, just trying to be clear for Wampis.

Wampus
03-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Take a peek at this. It may have a few answers for you.

http://www.beefresearch.org/CMDocs/BeefResearch/Dry%20Aging%20of%20Beef.pdf (http://www.beefresearch.org/CMDocs/BeefResearch/Dry%20Aging%20of%20Beef.pdf)

First: THANKS for the article. It was a very interesting and informative read. Lots of good info.

Unfortunately, it didn't really help as far as the BBQ aspect regarding the questions above.

Still....VERY good stuff.:thumb:

CarolinaQue
03-14-2012, 08:17 PM
WHAT!!!...we're suppose to be here to help??? I thought that we were here to confuse and misguide??? Whodda thought???!!!:shocked: