PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm rotisserie price war....

tortaboy
03-14-2012, 12:30 AM
So, last Friday night a guy on Craigslist posts a pic of a nice looking used 22.5 inch Weber, with what looked like a Cajun Bandit Center and a rotisserie with a heavy duty motor.

His copy lists the equipment valued at over $300.

Priced at $67.

I certainly don't NEED a rotisserie, but for that price, I'll bite.

Based on the pic, I email the guy asking if I can paypal him payment now and I'll pick it up on Saturday.

No response.

Saturday AM the guy sends me and others an email saying that there will be a "Showing" for offers between 1pm and 2pm. You gotta be friggin kidding me, this guy is trying to start a bidding war over some used bbq equipment?

Ever heard of anyone selling their used stuff this way?

NorthwestBBQ
03-14-2012, 12:44 AM
No, but I do believe rotisserie cooking adds another dimension to smoked foods.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7015/6723417501_74f38b0245_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7151/6723417559_b2d8f0d470_b.jpg

tortaboy
03-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Michael, it was your pic's that got me inspired to contact the guy in the first place.

Thanks a lot. :-P :boxing:

NorthwestBBQ
03-14-2012, 01:04 AM
http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/9.gif

frohe
03-14-2012, 05:16 AM
He's probably had several folks contact him about the stuff and wants to get the best price he can by showing it off. If I was interested, I'd go look but I'd hold back on my offer til the others have done their deal, then see if you want to beat it.

Ok, you don't want the rotisserie. If you get the stuff, just put it on CL.

swamprb
03-14-2012, 06:05 AM
As a matter of fact, yes, I have. And its more of a matter of convenience for the seller. If I am selling something I demand a return phone # and I'll call the first that reply-those that want to play 21 questions get deleted and I don't get scamspammed.

If you contacted me about my craigslist ad and asked if I accepted paypal I'd ignore you too!

Money talks and BS walks. I've been stood up by so many CLFlakes its unfarkinbeleivable! (not implying you are)
Having not seen the ad, I don't know what it is he's selling but if it was something I really wanted and the deal was sound I probably would offer more-which I have on some items, mostly because the people don't know or care what the items worth-I do and walk away a happy camper!

I probably wouldn't do a "showing" at my address, because of the scumbag theives out there, I'd be more inclined to have a leisurely cup of coffee at the neigborhood Charbucks between ? & ? and do it in public. The d-bags won't bother to show up and the serious buyers will. Then get on with my day!

Skidder
03-14-2012, 06:08 AM
Then again you might be the only one to show up

swamprb
03-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Then again you might be the only one to show up

Possibly, but thats not been the case for me.

J_Don
03-14-2012, 06:49 AM
If I'm not mistaken I believe this is how eBay got started. I love the rotisserie for roasted chickens. Buy that and then buy a Rib-O-Lator and I don't think you will be disappointed. Wish that deal was here, I'd already have it in my back yard. Pricve a cajun bandit or rotisserie and a weber grill and you definitely have $300.oo invested. This is a no brainer unless none of it works. JMTCW :thumb:

tortaboy
03-14-2012, 07:55 AM
As a matter of fact, yes, I have. And its more of a matter of convenience for the seller. If I am selling something I demand a return phone # and I'll call the first that reply-those that want to play 21 questions get deleted and I don't get scamspammed.

If you contacted me about my craigslist ad and asked if I accepted paypal I'd ignore you too!

Money talks and BS walks. I've been stood up by so many CLFlakes its unfarkinbeleivable! (not implying you are)
Having not seen the ad, I don't know what it is he's selling but if it was something I really wanted and the deal was sound I probably would offer more-which I have on some items, mostly because the people don't know or care what the items worth-I do and walk away a happy camper!

I probably wouldn't do a "showing" at my address, because of the scumbag theives out there, I'd be more inclined to have a leisurely cup of coffee at the neigborhood Charbucks between ? & ? and do it in public. The d-bags won't bother to show up and the serious buyers will. Then get on with my day!

Firstly, a phone number was not provided in the ad.

Secondly, If someone wanted to pay for the product being sold to hold it till the next day for pickup, you would not think the buyer was serious? How much more serious could I have been? Included with this was my name, local address, and phone number.

Thirdly, you would offer MORE than the asked price right off the bat? :loco:

The point of my OP was that I felt the ad was innovative, but scummy for not stating that this was an auction type sale.

I have no problem with people coming over to buy things. They buy my
products every day and have for years (I sell composting worms). But, my neighborhood is pretty good, and the people are nice.

redvert05
03-14-2012, 08:14 AM

Secondly, If someone wanted to pay for the product being sold to hold it till the next day for pickup, you would not think the buyer was serious? How much more serious could I have been? Included with this was my name, local address, and phone number.

The point of my OP was that I felt the ad was innovative, but scummy for not stating that this was an auction type sale.

products every day and have for years (I sell composting worms). But, my neighborhood is pretty good, and the people are nice.

Agree, with your views.

When something seems to me to be to "hard" to purchase, I move on. Turning a CL ad into an Auction would send me to HD or Amazon to buy it new, just out of principle alone!

I have sold many things from my driveway on CL....I do not have a problem with the idea of security, thats what the S&W 45ACP is for! :becky:

Wampus
03-14-2012, 09:45 AM
I've put up some vintage stereo equipment before that my FIL gave to me. I told him I was gonna sell it and he was fine with that, just wanted it gone.

When I posted it on CL with photos (it was a matched Sansui stereo set) I got a FLOOD of replies quickly offering more than my asking price. I did a bit of research, wondering what I had, and found that it was actually fairly valuable stuff. So I contacted all interested parties via email and upped the price. I ended up losing the sale, but kept the equipment and use it today. My loss, I guess, but bottom line I wasn't gonna sell this stuff for $50 when it turns out it was worth hundreds more. I ended up pulling the add. My prerogative as the seller IMHO. It's a free online classified selling site. Just because someone wants to buy it for a steal doesn't mean I'm obligated to sell it.

Was I a scumbag? Azzhat? Greedy? Dunno....perhaps.

I'm guessing the guy got plenty of interested guys like you who thought the equipment was a real steal. If you're intersted go and see the stuff and take cash to pay for it. If not, don't.

IMHO that is.

swamprb
03-14-2012, 11:09 AM

I guess I was wrong in my assumption :boxing: