PDA

View Full Version : Started my UDS build today

BluegrassSmoke
03-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Ok, started my UDS build today, hooked up the HF burn torch,and cook that sucker, turned from blue to black to white, the inside turned whita and black.

Started to wire brush on a drill to the inside, what a pain in the arse! It'll take me a few days to get all the sanding done!

I bought two barrels thinking it would build two...no freeking way...not unless I can find a new, clean barrel.....not going to do this again!...

Oh well, it'll be nice when done.

Hunterman95
03-13-2012, 06:28 PM
When I did mine, I started with the wire wheel. About 10 minutes into it, I said fark this! I checked the yellow pages and found a guy to sandblast it out for me. Best $25 I ever spent!

Flat_Rate
03-13-2012, 07:01 PM
I am of the opinion that your should HAVE to burn out and clean your first drum, gives you the knowledge to say " next time I am buying unlined or investing in sandblasting". it took me 2 drum builds to find this knowledge, but I am a slow learner.

Boshizzle
03-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Congrats! Enjoy the ride. Building your own uds is part of the fun. It's exciting!

bbqchicken
03-13-2012, 07:33 PM
I feel your pain because I went through it :tsk:.

BluegrassSmoke
03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
I checked with two sandblasters, both said they couldn't do it...BS but what ya gonna do...I wanted to sand blast from the beginning, I read to many stories here.....

Next one will be a new and clean drum...

Captain Dave
03-14-2012, 05:09 AM
I didn't go thru all that trouble with mine. I just burned it really good, knocked off any loose stuff, seasoned it and started cookin. A good seasoning appears to cover up that red stuff anyhow. No foul odor or taste.

Ole Man Dan
03-14-2012, 08:49 AM
I checked with two sandblasters, both said they couldn't do it...BS but what ya gonna do...I wanted to sand blast from the beginning, I read to many stories here.....
Next one will be a new and clean drum...

Some Welding Shops will sandblast them for you.
Some will also refuse because its a little more trouble than they want to do...

I took the easy way out and bought a new 'Food Grade' drum. It had a rust preventative sprayed inside, which I burned off with a couple of wooden pallets. (Should have bought a Propane burner...)

I had an easy build, because I didn't have to sand the inside of the drum.
I pressure washed the burn residue out...

1FUNVET
03-14-2012, 08:56 AM
The UDS will be worth all the trouble once ya finish it. :thumb:

razrbakcrzy
03-14-2012, 01:03 PM
The inside does not have to bare to the steel, just free of the liner! burn it, wash it out, season it and use it...

BluegrassSmoke
03-14-2012, 01:56 PM
The liner looked like brown paint....no plastic looking to me, but what do I know....

Also, the lid has warped...gonna try and bend it back in shape...I picked up a Weber grill and an extra Weber lid....gonna use that, if I can get it to fit right.....

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions....

razrbakcrzy
03-15-2012, 09:57 AM
The liner looked like brown paint....no plastic looking to me, but what do I know....

Also, the lid has warped...gonna try and bend it back in shape...I picked up a Weber grill and an extra Weber lid....gonna use that, if I can get it to fit right.....

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions....

That's why I didn't heat my lid... I used a 1/4" die grinder with a 800 grit sanding disc to clean it... took about 3 minutes...:clap2:

retired trucker
03-15-2012, 11:03 AM
I used paint remover from wally world on my lid and it cleaned up down to bare metal. Very easy, and washed off with water and soap. Then painted it.

PaPaGrizz
03-16-2012, 11:53 AM
I know what you mean about being a pain...but once done you will love it.