PDA

View Full Version : Cedar elm?

mikederr
07-31-2005, 01:18 PM
A giant cedar elm fell in a neighbor's yard and is mine for the taking. I've seen some mixed messages on whether elm is good for smoking. Anyone out there used cedar elm and care to report?

Thanks,
Mike in Austin

BigAl
07-31-2005, 01:37 PM
My GUESS is, not good, since Cedar is a relative of Pine and has toooo much tar to smoke with.

Jorge
07-31-2005, 01:40 PM
Never tried it, and never heard of anybody else using it. I'd go with BigAl on this one.

What part of the People Republic of Austin?

mikederr
07-31-2005, 02:18 PM
According to a Texas native plants website (http://nativeplantproject.tripod.com/cedar_elm.htm), it's called cedar elm b/c it grows together w/ the mountain cedars (which are really junipers, not cedars) in the Hill Country. It's in the same family as American Elm, not cedar.

I live in the French Place (Cherrywood) neighborhood just east of the UT campus. Lots of big old trees over here and I've let a bunch of neighbors know that I happily trade brisket for wood!

Jorge
07-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Give it a test burn and see what it smells like then. I'm out in Oak Hill when I actually get the time to spend the night in Austin.

Head on over to Cattle Call and tell us a little about yourself. Try not to rile the Ags and Sooners, we've got a few but they are good folks.....until September :wink: