PDA

View Full Version : Cinnamon in a rub?

jhliuko
03-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Hi guys and gals. I was going through a list of spices and close to the bottom of my list is cinnamon. Now for me, using cinnamon is right next to using coffee in a rub. I would think if you used a lot of cinnamon that you might get some heat out of it? So I guess my question is…. Have any of you used cinnamon in your rubs and am I thinking correctly about the use of if it that a lot would give you more heat? Plus if you have a rub that uses it could you post it pls and tell me what you thought about it. I would like to play with my spices with my focus on cinnamon. :wink:

Ashmont
03-11-2012, 05:02 PM
I gives a sweetness without the sugars. Great for diabetics too!

bananablack
03-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Be careful not to use too much

Brian in Maine
03-11-2012, 05:08 PM
I can't give you the recipe, but because we are moving, and my books are already packed, but I make a sweet rub that my wife likes that used cinnamon, and nutmeg along with the garlic and onion powder and salt.

jhliuko
03-11-2012, 05:17 PM
I can't give you the recipe, but because we are moving, and my books are already packed, but I make a sweet rub that my wife likes that used cinnamon, and nutmeg along with the garlic and onion powder and salt.

That sounds good Brian... why do you have to move now :-P This is my luck some days :lol:

Shinka
03-11-2012, 05:23 PM
I use cinnamon in a bird rub when I'm shooting for a caribbean take. it's not used as main ingredient so i can't say it adds heat. I use scotch B-peppers for the heat.
Good luck with your quest.

Phubar
03-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Cinnamon is standard in a Chinese 5-spice rub if I'm correct...used it on my duck last Phriday.
You gave me an idea to mix it with Simply Marvelous Spicey Apple though...:thumb:

Moose
03-11-2012, 05:33 PM
I use a small amount of cinnamon in one of my chicken rubs and it's wonderful, although you don't need a lot of it, as too much will overpower the rub. No matter how much cinnamon you use, it doesn't have any heat, so if you're looking for some heat, you can use cayenne or crushed red chili flakes.

landarc
03-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Cinnamon is a part of 5-Spice mix, it adds a sweetness in lower quantities, it can add some spiciness, but, not what I would call heat, if use heavily. The problem will be that the overwhelming aromatics of cinnamon will throw you off if you are going for heat with it. Plus, cinnamon oil is what gives the heat you would be trying to get, which is an extracted oil from the bark. The flavor would not quite be the same.

I recommend you give it a try, but, start at around 2% of the overall blend and workup. I would imagine you will not go above 5% of total volume. It adds both sweetness and a lovely earthy background. It also heightens the effects of sugar and chocolate tones.

cameraman
03-11-2012, 06:00 PM
I made a rub for two butts I smoked today with brown sugar, salt, pepper paprika, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne, tumeric, and celery salt. It was bangin'.

Chezmatt
03-11-2012, 09:32 PM
I've used it in Chinese 5-spice rub and as part of a Mexican chicken rub. In small quantities, it can add a nice "what's different about this rub?" kind of flavor. I agree that in large amounts, it would probably be overwhelming.

ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
03-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Be careful not to use too much

I like to use it for Cincinatti-style chili but if you add to much to a rub (or the chili) it becomes somewhat bitter and overwhelming..

gtr
03-11-2012, 10:10 PM
First I ever even thought about cinnamon in a rub was when I got Big Mista's pork rub. Great stuff!

Coffee is good on beef btw. :thumb:

criffaaa1
03-11-2012, 10:13 PM
I put cinnamon in my pokebutt rub and chicken rib too.

Sent via Criffvo

RevZiLLa
03-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Don't use a lot, and try adding a bit of allspice too

cliffcarter
03-12-2012, 11:28 AM
This is my rib rub, about 13% cinnamon and tastes great IMHO-

1/2 cup of turbinado sugar
1/4 cup of Hungarian paprika
1/4 cup of salt free chili powder
2 TBS of granulated garlic
2 TBS of ground black pepper
2TBS of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

venemous
03-12-2012, 11:46 AM

2TBS of cinnamon

This is almost identical to the rub I use for ribs. I use cayenne instead of chili powder and I add about 1TBS of onion powder. I think the cinnamon adds a nice earthy layer with just a hint of sweet to rubs.

jhliuko
03-12-2012, 11:47 AM

2TBS of cinnamon

Thanks cliff... I will give that a try... it looks like a good rub as well.

Keep them cinnamon rubs coming... I have lots of ribs!!!

Bigmista
03-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Cinnamon (like allspice and nutmeg) is not sweet but it suggests sweetness because it associated with sweet things like apple pie, cinnamon rolls, etc. In the right combination, it can work well in a rub but like others have said, don't over do it. You don't chicken that tastes like sweet potato pie.

cameraman
03-12-2012, 12:39 PM
mmmm sweet potato pie chicken