PDA

View Full Version : first time pork butt...cook time?

1990dtgl98
03-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Hey guys (and gals)!

Just got my UDS built and am going to attempt an 8lb pork butt for my first smoke.

I just had a few questions.

1.) How long should I put it on for at around 250*? I'm trying to be at the ready to eat point around 6-7pm.

2.) Is 250 a good temp to try out for the first time?

3.) What's the best wood chucks to add for the smoke?

4.) Fat cap up or down? I already decided to foil, just curious on fat cap preference.

There's a lot out there in the search, was hoping to pin it down a little better than 8-20 hours like I've been seeing. I'm mainly trying to decide to put it on tonight before bed (1am or so) or get up early and put it on around 6-7am.

Thanks!

smooookin
03-10-2012, 11:03 PM
I would say best guess, 10 hours approx. planning for 12 should be safe. I go fat cap up but it's kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing. Foil around 165 with a little apple juice. I like fruit woods the best, apple or cherry. When the bone pulls clean it is ready for good eats. (usually 195-205 internal)

If it gets done too early you can hold (whole0 in a warm cooler, I double foil and cover with towels. It will hold that way for hours.

Randbo
03-10-2012, 11:07 PM
I would say best guess, 10 hours approx. planning for 12 should be safe. I go fat cap up but it's kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing. Foil around 165 with a little apple juice. I like fruit woods the best, apple or cherry. When the bone pulls clean it is ready for good eats. (usually 195-205 internal)

If it gets done too early you can hold (whole0 in a warm cooler, I double foil and cover with towels. It will hold that way for hours.

Plus one on this ^^^^^^

fingerlickin'
03-10-2012, 11:08 PM
I would put it on before bed. I like hickory or cherry. I'm a fat cap down guy but you will get plenty of fat cap up responses. Sounds like you have a good plan with the foil but it's not a necessity. If it's done early, double wrap it in foil and put it in a preheated cooler full of old towels to keep warm until you are ready. Good luck!

landarc
03-10-2012, 11:14 PM
At a steady 250F, bone-in butt, looking at 12 hours. I use apple or peach with pork, but, hickory, oak or pecan works fine too. I go fat down in a UDS.

If I was looking for being done at 6pm, for me I would go 250f for 2 hours, then 300F for 5 hours. With foil, you should be done in that time frame. Shoot for 4pm for resting. If you are still stalled at 3pm, take heat to 375F, you'll be done by 5pm.

MICHIGAN SMOKE
03-10-2012, 11:17 PM
I go fatcap off...no need for it if low and slow and you get 30% more bark!

1990dtgl98
03-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Well guys, I wound up falling asleep so it didn't go on till about 7am today. Got coated in some mustard and then a heavy dose of SM spicy Apple.

Going around 260. However I'm getting heavy smoke. It looks blue grey but its pretty thick. Is this normal? I'll try to get a few pics then

PorkDork
03-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Let me preface by saying, it's going to be good. But you might be getting that lighter color smoke because of the temp. If this bothers you try closing your dampener just a bit till you're running between 220-250.

Oh, and make sure that after you take that bad-boy out that you let it rest for AT LEAST 2 HOURS while still wrapped in the foil. I take mine out at 195 and while it rests it will raise up to over 200. All the cartilage doesn't really melt till approx. 195-200 so you want to at least achieve that temperature for enough time for that to happen.

Take a pic for us! ENJOY!

1990dtgl98
03-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Here's some pics.

Mainly, is that too much or the wrong color smoke?

1990dtgl98
03-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Ok...new problem. I told everyone 7pm. It's 3:15 now and the butt is at 190*. How can I make it last another 4 hours....will foiling and tossing it in a cooler keep it for that long?

PorkDork
03-11-2012, 02:36 PM
You should be good with it wrapped and put in a cooler.

mytmouz
03-11-2012, 02:46 PM
The smoke looks like it is higher than 250. Is that temp coming form the probe mounted on the cooker, or elsewhere?

1990dtgl98
03-11-2012, 02:54 PM
The smoke looks like it is higher than 250. Is that temp coming form the probe mounted on the cooker, or elsewhere?

It's a probe right below the cooking grate. That was like the first 1.5 hours. Since then it settled into a thin blue smoke. However its at 195 and its only been smoking for 7 hours. I was expecting it to take longer.

Guess its foil and rest for 3 hours?

Duckboats
03-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Let's see some pictures!! I got a 12 pounder on cooking at 250. I have found it cooks better without the fat cap and the last few I have done, I have trimmed tons of fat when pulling it. I'm at 160 right now and it's been on for 5 hours. I'm guessing around 4 more hours.
Cooking on a UDS speeds up the process. My butts are cooked sooner and ribs are fall off the bone in 5 hours. So I have subtracted an hour from most cook times and got a good digital thermometer.

caseydog
03-11-2012, 03:07 PM
When you reach probe tender, wrap it in foil and a towel, and put it in a cooler. It will still be hot after 3 hours, and the breakdown of connective tissue will continue as it rests.

I always try to rest my butts that way for at least an hour.

BTW, your smoke will be always be white until the fuel (the wood) gets hot enough to burn efficiently, then it will turn to thin and "blue." A little bit won't be a problem.

CD

landarc
03-11-2012, 03:35 PM
If that smoke lasted for just 30 minutes or so, no problem, more than an hour and you are going to have a few off flavors, but, not to worry, a butt can take it.

Timing wise, you are fine, I often rest butts for 3 to 4 hours with what I believe is an increase in quality. Wrapped in a couple of layers of foil, towels and coolered, you are gonna be fine.

By the way, if you had that white smoke for more than an hour, taste the bark, if it is a little bitter, add a little sugar, maybe 1/2 teaspoon over the entire butt, then pull. It will moderate the bitterness. I think you will be fine though.