PDA

View Full Version : I might be a convert

JMSetzler
03-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I have been using Kingsford Blue faithfully since I started cooking over charcoal again. It works. It's cheap. It's reliable. It's on sale frequently during the warmer months.

When I bought the Char-Griller Kamado, I knew I was going to have to start using lump. Tonight, I grilled a couple ribeyes over that lump at some nuclear temperatures and they were just awesome. What's a few bux here or there when it comes to making a great meal? Maybe I have been cutting corners where I shouldn't have.

That is all.

ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
03-09-2012, 08:49 PM
..and if that CG is half as efficient as the BGE, you can use the same lumps for 3-4 cooks..

JMSetzler
03-09-2012, 08:51 PM
..and if that CG is half as efficient as the BGE, you can use the same lumps for 3-4 cooks..

My cook today was the 4th cook I have done using just one 8.8lb bag of lump.... and one of those cooks was 8+ hours on a Boston Butt. I'm good with the efficiency for sure. Today's cook probably wasted the rest of the charcoal that was in the cooker since I ran it up so hot. There might be a few pieces left in there that are usable tho, but not much.

porkingINpublic
03-09-2012, 08:54 PM
After using the Kingsford with the Hickory blended into the charcoal I don't know that I could go back to regular Kingsford....

Callahan-que
03-09-2012, 08:56 PM
There's nothing like a big juicy ribeye cooked over lump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbqchicken
03-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Yeah lump is great. Thats all I grill with.

JMSetzler
03-09-2012, 08:57 PM
After using the Kingsford with the Hickory blended into the charcoal I don't know that I could go back to regular Kingsford....

I have never tried that or the mesquite. How does it differ from just tossing on a chunk of Hickory? I toss on a chunk of smoking wood in many cases when I'm grilling.

Vision
03-09-2012, 09:13 PM
What exactly do you believe the difference is?

porkingINpublic
03-09-2012, 09:23 PM
It seems like you geet a more consistent smoke... my chunks, even after soaking in water overnight, will eventually dry out and there will be only heat from coals and no smoke. With the hickory charcoal its pretty much consistant smoke on your meat. I don't know that the food was neseccarily better or worse but you can see the difference in your chimney... makes me feel better and it sure smells good! :-D

try it some time. I'd be interested in others opinions on it.

JMSetzler
03-09-2012, 09:25 PM
What exactly do you believe the difference is?

The food didn't have as much of a charcoal flavor as when using Kingsford but you could definitely tell by taste that it was cooked over a fire... I don't really know how to describe the difference very well in words.

certified106
03-09-2012, 09:39 PM
The food didn't have as much of a charcoal flavor as when using Kingsford but you could definitely tell by taste that it was cooked over a fire... I don't really know how to describe the difference very well in words.

I know what you mean and it is really hard to describe but I would 100% agree I like it better! I think after cooking with the natural lump it would be hard for me to use kingsford type charcoal again. In fact after the three meals I have had off the CGK I think I will even be throwing this thing in the truck to take camping with me this summer so I'm glad it is fairly light and portable! Ten bucks says I have a bunch of neighbors from other campsites wandering over while I am cooking on it once they get a whiff of the smell :becky:

Baby Back Maniac
03-09-2012, 09:41 PM
I still don't like using lump very much. Seems like whatever brand I use sparks like crazy. I took one in the eye this evening as a matter of fact (I'm fine...just annoyed). As much as I appreciate the lack of chemical smell, I really miss the predictability, cost, and consistency of K.

landarc
03-09-2012, 11:04 PM
I use both, and for different reasons. I like the aroma and heat I can get off of lump, it does burn clean and there is the lower ash amounts. It does not seem to be as reliable for me in Minion burns as briquettes. I use Royal Oak or Kingsford Blue briquettes as they have been more reliable in minion burns for me, and they burn consistently over time.

JMSetzler
03-09-2012, 11:08 PM
I intend to keep using Kingsford Blue in my drum.

Q-Dat
03-09-2012, 11:19 PM
I intend to keep using Kingsford Blue in my drum.

I know this is gonna sound crazy, but try the Sam's Choice briquettes from Wally World. Royal Oak makes them. They don't get as hot when it comes to grilling, but it sure seems like they burn longer than Kingsford when using the Minion Method. Not to mention they smell better.

JMSetzler
03-09-2012, 11:46 PM
I know this is gonna sound crazy, but try the Sam's Choice briquettes from Wally World. Royal Oak makes them. They don't get as hot when it comes to grilling, but it sure seems like they burn longer than Kingsford when using the Minion Method. Not to mention they smell better.

Don't recall seeing those. I'll have to look.

Ground Pounder
03-09-2012, 11:51 PM
I've converted to a lump man for my hot & fast grillin' sessions. Still using K-Blue for consistancy in the low and slow.

Callahan-que
03-10-2012, 01:03 AM
I've converted to a lump man for my hot & fast grillin' sessions. Still using K-Blue for consistancy in the low and slow.

Exactly! That's what I do.

The Grill Sergeant
03-10-2012, 01:35 AM
I was a K-blue man for well over 20 years until they started jackin with the price. I went to lump and loved it. Still use briqettes for minion starts - Mostly RO - for the last 2 years. The other day my son had son had some K-blue and the aroma got me... It was like an old friend I hadn't seen in a long time. I buy it only when it's on sale.

But, you want somethin really aromatic while grillin? Try Pecan. Most wonderful aroma I've ever smelled!

Crash
03-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Blue bag K 100%, all of the time here. Can't beat the consistency and price.

I say....cook with what works for you. There really is no shame in cooking with your fuel source of choice.

DaChief
03-10-2012, 04:17 AM
Have to admit I have still never tried lump. Keep meaning to just haven't gotten around to it. Plus I have a garage full of K-Blue from stocking up on sales. You got me thinking though.

TomB
03-10-2012, 05:55 AM
I use the best of both worlds for long cooks. K-Blue minion with some lumps mixed in. Proabably 75% K-Blue.

frohe
03-10-2012, 06:34 AM
When I bought the Char-Griller Kamado, I knew I was going to have to start using lump. Tonight, I grilled a couple ribeyes over that lump at some nuclear temperatures and they were just awesome. What's a few bux here or there when it comes to making a great meal? Maybe I have been cutting corners where I shouldn't have.

Once I cooked with lump, there was no going back to Kingsford. I did steaks the first time out and the family just raved on how much better they tasted.

I never did like the chemical smell Kingsford puts out.

Big George's BBQ
03-10-2012, 06:39 AM
I love lump in my Egg

Wampus
03-10-2012, 06:47 AM
When I bought the Char-Griller Kamado, I knew I was going to have to start using lump.

Why is this? Is it a requirement for the CGK?

I pretty much always grill with RO lump and smoke with K blue, although I've been slowly doing more and more smoking with RO lump.

I just find that for low n slow I get a more consistent burn with briq's. I've had some temp spikes and valleys with lump in the drum. And I know my drum.....that was the only difference.

captndan
03-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Being the one that doesn't know nuttin about the Kamado, why do you have to use lump?

FireChief
03-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Not crazy at all. I too left Kingsford when they started raising their prices while at the same time lowering the overall poundage. Tried Sam's Choice and really liked it. Although I use a stick burner I use it to help build my base. Aroma is way far superior to K Blue, at least that's my opinion.

Which begs the question....why can't you buy a double bag of Sam's Choice charcoal....AT SAM'S CLUB ??!! :confused:

CarolinaQue
03-10-2012, 08:40 AM
I think that what you're not tasting that you are having a hard time describing is the petroleum binders Kingsford uses in there regular blue bag charcoal.

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Why is this? Is it a requirement for the CGK?

I pretty much always grill with RO lump and smoke with K blue, although I've been slowly doing more and more smoking with RO lump.

I just find that for low n slow I get a more consistent burn with briq's. I've had some temp spikes and valleys with lump in the drum. And I know my drum.....that was the only difference.

I won't say its a requirement on most things. On a long smoke, I believe it might be a requirement because of ash buildup possibly choking off the air supply.

Bonewagon
03-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Being the one that doesn't know nuttin about the Kamado, why do you have to use lump?

You don't have to, but when you do you can hit higher temps. I've hit over 900 on my bsk. It has it's place as do briqs. I prefer lump for the lower ash and the flavor in my keg. Plus due to the efficient nature of the kamado style cookers lump can last as long as briqs. When I do minion in my wsm I use briqs which provide a more consistent even burn.

Brian in Maine
03-10-2012, 03:58 PM
hey JM, I thought that high heat would blister the seasoning on CI. How did your grate fare?

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 04:15 PM
hey JM, I thought that high heat would blister the seasoning on CI. How did your grate fare?

I believe it did burn some of my seasoning off. With cast iron grates, I always oil them down before and after each cook though. They require TLC for a long life.

caseydog
03-10-2012, 04:34 PM
I do really like grilling steaks over lump. You can get some great heat from it.

I would use lump a lot more, if I could buy bags of it that weren't a mixture of huge chunks and a whole lot of stuff they falls through the charcoal grate. Besides costing more, I end up wasting too much of it.

CD

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 04:43 PM
I do really like grilling steaks over lump. You can get some great heat from it.

I would use lump a lot more, if I could buy bags of it that weren't a mixture of huge chunks and a whole lot of stuff they falls through the charcoal grate. Besides costing more, I end up wasting too much of it.

CD

I have seen that some people separate the larger stuff from the smaller and arrange the larger pieces on the bottom to solve that problem.

frohe
03-10-2012, 06:40 PM
I would use lump a lot more, if I could buy bags of it that weren't a mixture of huge chunks and a whole lot of stuff they falls through the charcoal grate.

Take a look at some 1/4" perforated metal. Stuff that falls through those tiny holes ain't worth worrying over IMO.

morgaj1
03-10-2012, 07:53 PM

CD

I agree. I have been using Royal Oak Chef's Select, which is a good compromise. I don't get the off flavor, like KB, but it burns hotter. With the RO briquettes, I get a consistent burn on the UDS.

Durzil
03-11-2012, 03:31 AM
I agree. I have been using Royal Oak Chef's Select, which is a good compromise. I don't get the off flavor, like KB, but it burns hotter. With the RO briquettes, I get a consistent burn on the UDS.

This was my go to charcoal until the Do it best close to me switched distributors. Great stuff for the price.