PDA

View Full Version : Reverse minion?

sdjohnboy
03-09-2012, 03:59 PM
This is my 1st post, but i have been reading this page for over a year now and find it extremely helpful. I purchased a offset smoker from Texas last summer, a 32x20 main chamber and a 20x18 firebox all in 1/4 inch steel. After reading comments from this site I proceeded to make the deflector and baffles to keep the temp within 15 degrees from one end to the other. So I have it all working.
But when burning my black hills oak its hard to maintain a lower temp due to the smaller size of the cooking chamber and get the good smoke needed So what I do is get 4 or 5 sticks of oak burning with my weed blaster and let them burn down a bit so I have half coals and wood, (the temp in the chamber close to 400 degrees, than I add about a half a bag of lump and turn it down. What this does for my ribs is it smokes them from the oak for about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs than I wrap them in tin foil for the next 1 1/2 than finish them of with the sauce, I add another half bag to maintain the temp for the six hrs. Thanks just thought I would let you know what I figured out Thanks.

el_matt
03-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Cool deal. It's all about making what you have, work for you.

Matt

smokeyokie
03-09-2012, 07:29 PM
welcome to the madness!!!!!!!!! there is always a new twist!!! you gotta love it!!!!!!!:thumb:

txschutte
03-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Way to make it work, Every cooker has it's own personality.