PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried?

t-bone49
07-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Smokin an 8 pound shoulder since 8 pm last night. Temp at the grate is 215 degrees. Meat was up to 190. Checked and moved placement of temp probe in meat, now reading 177? Wassup with that? not near a bone or anything. So far 21 1/2 hour smokin time. Either going to be super tender or dry as a fart??
Lookin for advice.
Thanks
Tom :(

The_Kapn
07-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Tom,
That puppy should be primo by now :lol:
Did the thermometer probe go in easily, like probing butter?

I would be tempted to take a pair of forks, push them in from the top and pull apart. If it is ready for coolering (or pulling), you will see it.

Have you foiled it?
That will reduce the cook time a bunch!

Let us know.

TIM

icemn62
07-29-2005, 04:54 PM
How did the probe feel while you were putting it in? If no resistance then that puppy is ready. try wiggling the bone, if it feels like it will just pull right out, it is ready

t-bone49
07-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Moved the thermometer probe around. Found it at 195. Foiled and into the cooler. Next question though. I know the meat can be pulled as soon as it finishes resting. Any disadvantage by waiting till next day to pull after being refrigerated, or should it be done now while still hot/warm? Also, should this question go under a new thread?? :?:

Kevin
07-29-2005, 07:23 PM
If your tired you can sure put it in the fridge and pull it tomorrow, but it will put a whole lot easier right after taking it out of the foil.

Kevin

The_Kapn
07-29-2005, 07:25 PM
If your tired you can sure put it in the fridge and pull it tomorrow, but it will put a whole lot easier right after taking it out of the foil.

Kevin
Yepper! Much easier warm/hot.
And no to the move--you are right on topic here :lol:

TIM

t-bone49
07-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Guys,
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll do the pullin tonite while it's warm. Might just have to sample a little.... :wink:

The_Kapn
07-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Guys,
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll do the pullin tonite while it's warm. Might just have to sample a little.... :wink:
Ya got it now!
Pull it--sample it--sample it some more--make a bedtime sammich--get a good nights sleep :lol:
Congrats!

TIM