PDA

View Full Version : Ripped off by local BGE dealer??? Opinions needed

early mornin' smokin'
03-07-2012, 09:41 PM
So award for girlfriend of the year goes to my own. A L BGE for my 30th bday, surprised the hell out of me! So she gave me the receipt so I could register it.

Large Egg, nest, flimsy side shelves, not the nice teak or plastic ones, ash tool, grill gripper, non BGE branded electric lighter, BGE outdoor cover, and a bag of BGE charcoal. all said and done, out the door for $1200 which she paid cash and paid tax on top of that price.

AM i out of line for thinking she got ripped off? I need some suggestions, possible egg dealers? eric? eggy? where are you. She surprised me, so I had no influence on the purchase or where to get it from. I know a local dealer who has a VERY similar bundle for $850.

I would rather avoid getting my girl fired up over the fact she got taken for a ride, but don't want the dealer getting away with it.

fingerlickin'
03-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Is it even possible to return it and look around for a better deal? I would think there's no way your gonna get anything substantial back from the guy. She obviously didn't mind spending the money on you, so I might just think about leaving it alone and not risk offending her by criticizing the price she paid. I don't know her though, maybe she would appreciate it more if you got her some dough back.

martyleach
03-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Well, I got all that plus a plate setter for less a grand, tax included about 3 years ago. I did get the nest with the flimsy teak side tables with it. So, I would say she probably paid list price +.

I would go back to the guy and have a discussion but I wouldn't say a word to the GF.

GrillsGoneWild
03-07-2012, 10:54 PM
You have all the gear, plus the reciept. I would take it all back to the dealer for a full refund and take your business somewhere else. Get the $400 cheaper price, take the $400 you saved and buy a bunch of meat and rubs. Throw a party in honor of "Your GF of the Year". Win-Win and girlfriend never knows.

BluegrassSmoke
03-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Ummmm, treading in thin ice...them sweeties can be a fickle bunch...think you doing right and Bam! Nope wrong again...trust me, married for 41 years to the same beautiful woman and I ain't go her figured out yet!

But me? I'd take it back, get a refund and buy the better deal, explane to the misses that you love her and love the BGE but you also don't like her getting ripped off. So you got some money back for her...( don't tel, ya returned it, just say money back)....then don't buy a single piece of BBQ meat...buy a dozen roses and take her out on the town for a nice dinner....

Phrasty
03-07-2012, 11:17 PM
...... Tell her you know a way to keep the same present AND save her money....

Return it for the cash and get the same damn thing somewhere else for less... then to sweeten the pot take HER out to a nice dinner with some of the savings :heh: (give her the rest of course) as a "thank you"

Problem Solved :thumb:

RevZiLLa
03-08-2012, 12:34 AM
I would go back to the guy and have a discussion but I wouldn't say a word to the GF.

Marty is wise. Graciously accept her generosity and enthusiasm

pwa
03-08-2012, 12:57 AM
+1 listen to Marty and RevZiLLa not worth the risk of upsetting the GF and returning it for a better deal could make her think all the effort she spent searching for a dealer find all the parts ect to make you happy... you don't appreciate(the effort)

pwa

posey's_pork_pit
03-08-2012, 04:18 AM
Here's my 2¢ from a woman's perspective ~ price the exact same setup at another dealer. If your suspicions are true and you find the exact same setup significantly lower, get it in writing. Now, without the girlfriend knowing, load up your birthday gifts and head out to the original dealer. Get the full refund and then show them the reason why for the return. Even if they match the other dealer, I still wouldn't do business with them.

Next stop, the other dealer. Load up and head on home. Plan a really nice evening just for her and then explain what you did and hand her the savings. :clap2:

early mornin' smokin'
03-08-2012, 06:00 AM
She knew me well enough to buy the egg, I know her well enough that she doesn't like overpaying.

In my head i'd be happy knowing the guy did something to make up for the difference, throw in a plate setter and pizza stone, guru, more bge charcoal, something.

I cooked on it the day I got it and almost everyday since, returning it is out of the question.

early mornin' smokin'
03-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Now i'm scrutinizing everything. The serial # in the lid does not match the base...is this normal?

Ive thought about this a lot over the past week, best solution I can come up with is call my local egg dealers and get prices. Call back the person mine was purchased from, ask for the same setup and the price.

rksylves
03-08-2012, 06:44 AM
You hit my idea right at the very end of your last post. I would go in to the suspect dealer, price out the exact same setup, and see what he comes up with. If it's very different than the deal that GF got then I would confront him right then and there. If he stonewalls then I would mention going to the local Better Business Bureau and filing a complaint.

I would also take a look at his floor model(s) and see if the serial numbers match up or possibly if one of those serial numbers matches one of yours! If it did then I would REALLY get upset.

Your call on telling the GF. Could go either way. She might appreciate your going for the savings but then she might feel hurt that you had to out-do her & make her present better and not appreciate the present as-is. I've gotten presents in the past that I know for a fact were overcharged but let it go and kept my mouth shut.

Russ

aquablue22
03-08-2012, 07:10 AM
martyleach is a very wise man, I would go back to the original dealer and beat hell out of him or maybe have a frank discussion about you telling three, who tell three who tell three until the whole village knows and so on and you receiving a discount and then present said cash return to said GF in the form of jewelry

expatpig
03-08-2012, 07:11 AM
I'm going to probably upset a few people, but the fact of the matter is he can charge any price that he wants. You can pay it or walk away. Having been in retail several times in my life, you would be surprised at how often someone will pay list price for an item. Don't fault the dealer, he is in business to earn a profit, and when you have the opportunity to make a profit you take it. Unless he misrepresented himself or the product he is well within his rights. Don't let buyers remorse get the better of you, what happens when while returning the egg humpty dumpty has a great fall? Just my take.

Wampus
03-08-2012, 07:16 AM
My opinion.....be honest!

If she got taken, deal with that privately with the dealer. If you've used it and can't return it you may be up chit creek, but if he's a reputable dealer it shouldn't matter. Call em out on it. I'd find the better deal, get it in writing and take that to the place she bought it.

If your GF is gonna get pissed because you're trying to be honest with her and look out for her money and best interest, then you've got another problem. If your relationship works better when you're deceiving each other, you've got a much bigger problem in the future.

I'd handle it first, then bring the solution and results to her. If she's in it for the long haul then she'll appreciate the whole thing.

My $0.02

Either way.....congrats on the birthday gift!:thumb:

Trumpstylz
03-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Do whatever you can regarding the dealer, and maybe even write a letter to the BBB.

But, when in doubt, keep your mouth shut.

Might also take some jewelry to return the favor on her birthday.

Mister Bob
03-08-2012, 07:45 AM
You have all the gear, plus the reciept. I would take it all back to the dealer for a full refund and take your business somewhere else. Get the $400 cheaper price, take the $400 you saved and buy a bunch of meat and rubs. Throw a party in honor of "Your GF of the Year". Win-Win and girlfriend never knows.

^^^^^^What he said, win, win!!!

Jaskew82
03-08-2012, 07:51 AM

^^^^ This! Marty is right. Say nothing to your girlfriend and just let her know she is amazing and you love the gift!

SmokeFan
03-08-2012, 07:52 AM
On the fence as to whether I'd go back and confront the store owner or not. I do know that paid only a little more than that for my XL, got everything you did, and got a plate setter too. I think he really took advantage of your GF.

What I do know is this... If I did do something, I would not do it behind your GF's back, even with the best of intentions. Sooner or later she'll find out. She'll go back to the original store to buy another gift, she'll see a receipt, who knows... If you can't be straight up with her about whatever you decide to do, then personally, I'd probably not do it.

eggzlot
03-08-2012, 07:58 AM
I agree with the "smile and keep quiet" camp. I know my GF wouldn't be happy if I went price shopping/matching for my gifts.

On the flip side, I am not sure she even got ripped off. The newer BGE models went up in price (including stainless steel grates, newer dome thermometer, etc). I believe a Large is around $850 list, no? The nest is usually about $100-$120 or so, so right there you are at almost $1000. The shelves are usually around $65, BGE lump is over priced but it is $25 or so a bag. The ash pan itself lists for about $25, etc.

Once you add up all of these, it seems like she paid about list/retail. Do some dealers give a deal, yeah usually on the accessories I think. I got my egg for list price and any accessories I got day of purchase I think were like 15% off.

tortaboy
03-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Enjoy your egg and quit second guessing things.

Let your GF know she bought you the best present ever.

early mornin' smokin'
03-08-2012, 08:24 AM
I called the mothership...gave them the whole run down, and I'm a little more at ease. Problem is so many local dealers have been sitting on models forever that they advertise the same set up significantly discounted.

As far as mis matched serial numbers go, they also put out some fire. Mis matching serials are not only common, it's almost impossible to get a match set because they are not manufactured as a 1 piece unit.

I just hated the feeling of her getting taken advantage of. She self admitted it was a little over what she wanted to lay out in the first place, but knew how happy id be.

If I did in fact find it at a cheaper price I would have been honest with her, but the price shopping will stop now, and i'll just keep on cooking!!!

Thanks for all the help guys and girls, keep smokin!

Big George's BBQ
03-08-2012, 08:27 AM
My opinion.....be honest!

If she got taken, deal with that privately with the dealer. If you've used it and can't return it you may be up chit creek, but if he's a reputable dealer it shouldn't matter. Call em out on it. I'd find the better deal, get it in writing and take that to the place she bought it.

If your GF is gonna get pissed because you're trying to be honest with her and look out for her money and best interest, then you've got another problem. If your relationship works better when you're deceiving each other, you've got a much bigger problem in the future.

I'd handle it first, then bring the solution and results to her. If she's in it for the long haul then she'll appreciate the whole thing.

My $0.02

Either way.....congrats on the birthday gift!:thumb:
\
Totally agree

HawgNationBBQ
03-08-2012, 08:28 AM
I think that price is definitely a little steep. However, I think you should just thank your girlfriend again and not say anything or make a big deal of it. You don’t want her to feel bad. Take her out to a nice dinner or better yet, make her one on your new BGE to show your appreciation.

bigabyte
03-08-2012, 08:32 AM
If it was me, I would smile and keep it. It was a gift, and if you hadn't seen the receipt, you would still be happy and wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Even if you get the money back, and she seems fine with it...this will always eat at her in some way. There is no way this won't eat at her, even if it's because she blames herself for getting ripped off.

Just my opinion.