PDA

View Full Version : Point meat... what to do?

Jaskew82
03-06-2012, 01:10 PM
So I just bought a small (10#) packer brisket. I plan to cure it for corned beef for the upcoming St. Patties day festivities. This is a first for me so wish me luck!

That being said, I imagine I should remove the point from the flat before curing. If I do that, what should I do with the point meat? Any suggestions?

Or should I just cure it with the point attached and go through the entire process with the point attached?

P.S
Anyone have a good source for Pink Curing salt #1?

bigabyte
03-06-2012, 01:20 PM
You can smoke the corned point to make pastrami.

buffalotom
03-06-2012, 01:20 PM
I would cure it with the point on. A little fattier than the flat but still good. Or if you cut it off smoke it up!

el_matt
03-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Cure it attached, then remove it and smoke it for pastrami...tasty stuff!

Matt

deguerre
03-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Personally, I actually prefer the point for corned beef because of the higher fat content. As Matt pointed out, it makes a great pastrami too.

Jaskew82
03-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys! Problem solved!

Wampus
03-06-2012, 02:06 PM
OR.....

Remove it, smoke it, refrigerate it, cube it and save it for CHILI.
Smoked brisket chili is pretty incredible! Just put the already cooked brisket into the chili for the last 1/2 hour of cooking to JUST warm the meat. It adds a smoky depth to the whole pot.

expatpig
03-06-2012, 02:22 PM
OR.....

Smoked brisket chili is pretty incredible! Just put the already cooked brisket into the chili for the last 1/2 hour of cooking to JUST warm the meat. It adds a smoky depth to the whole pot.
:thumb::thumb:

El Ropo
03-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Brisket point is good for just about anything.

Chili, burritos, tostadas, tacos, enchiladas, mexican lasagna, fillings for abt's, egg rolls, spring rolls, whatever. It's all gonna taste better than any restaurant or fast food joint.

TIMMAY
03-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Remove it before the cure and smoke it! Next morning, cube it up and throw it in scrambled eggs with onions, peppers (optional), potatoes, and shredded cheese! One extremely rare instance where something is actually better in eggs than bacon or breakfast sausage.

PatioDaddio
03-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Brisket burgers, baby! :wink:

John

tnjimbob
03-06-2012, 04:07 PM
OR.....

this is where I messed up last time I used brisket point in chili. Thinking it would give the chili a nice smoky flavor all through it, I put the brisket in and let it simmer for a few hours. bye-bye smoky goodness. :redface:

Smoked brisket point is good in just about anything!