PDA

View Full Version : UDS barrel question

Im a Walrus
03-04-2012, 05:29 PM
I found a steel drum, but it has two possible issues.

First, it has some type of a coating internally (somewhere between orange and pink in color). It stored a food additive chemical.

Second, it has a large dent in the rim on the top (in both the lid and the drum). The lid still closes if the dent is aligned correctly, but I was thinking of getting a Weber lid and it may not fit correctly.

Anyone have any experience with a coating like what I describe? Does it have to come out? Is this the "liner" people refer to that takes forever to remove?

Would anyone here bother with the drum with a dent like described?

If I need a new drum, where do people usually find them? I found this through a friend. What types of businesses would sell them locally?

Thanks!

whitelightnin92
03-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Sounds like the dreaded lining that takes Napalm to remove. The dent could be problematic. You won't get a tight seal which means harder to control temps. It will work, it will just take more effort.

I got my drum from a candy factory. But really the options are endless. Any place that mass produces something is likely to use drums.

pwa
03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Most industrial safety supplier will have new open top as there really common in spill response. I would also check quickie lube type places for a used drum. Neither will be lined. :)

pwa