PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Barbecue in 19th Century Virginia

Boshizzle
03-04-2012, 01:24 PM
I just posted about this on my blog and thought that a lot of the brethren would appreciate it too. Here is one of the few accounts of a backyard family barbecue in Virginia from the 19th century. It's great to see that backyard barbecue hasn't really changed in at least 100 years. Family, friends, good food, and fun times is what it was and still is all about. The article is from the March 24, 1907 edition of the Richmond, VA newspaper The Times Dispatch.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=326&pictureid=5218

jeffjenkins1
03-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Very interesting, that chicken with gravy sounded really good.

Made me think a little.

Question, did they call it "bar bee cue" or "bee bee cue"? Also, were there any "special breed" dogs in attendance?

Jeff

Boshizzle
03-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Don't know about any dogs there. Dogs were barbecued on Hawaii, actually. But, a barbecue was referred to sometimes as a "cue" as well as a barbecue. A French writer described a 19th century barbecue in Louisianna as what they called a "barb-cue." And in Kentucky the word barbecue was somehow turned into the word "bergoo" apparently while Kentucky was still a part of the Commonwealth of Virginia before 1797.

landarc
03-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Bo, are you writing a book? You have been doing crazy levels of research on this, just wondering.

That sounds like a good time, and not so much different than now.

Boshizzle
03-04-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm not writing a book but I am researching the history of VA BBQ and VA's BBQ men for a magazine article and my blog. It's a story that has been neglected too long.

pinkelephant
03-04-2012, 05:02 PM
I saw a story about some kids getting suspended from school for playing "cowboys and indians". something about racism and imaginary guns

Boshizzle
03-04-2012, 05:36 PM
I saw a story about some kids getting suspended from school for playing "cowboys and indians". something about racism and imaginary guns

Wow! My grandmother was full blooded Cherokee. I wish I could ask her about that.

BTW - what orifice did u pull your comment from and what does it have to do with this thread?

cameraman
03-04-2012, 05:52 PM
My wife edits Lynch's Ferry a journal of the history of Lynchburg, VA and the surrounding areas. If you come across anything particular to that area let us know.

Boshizzle
03-05-2012, 09:02 AM
My wife edits Lynch's Ferry a journal of the history of Lynchburg, VA and the surrounding areas. If you come across anything particular to that area let us know.

Will do.

grillduo
03-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Don't know about any dogs there. Dogs were barbecued on Hawaii, actually. But, a barbecue was referred to sometimes as a "cue" as well as a barbecue. A French writer described a 19th century barbecue in Louisianna as what they called a "barb-cue." And in Kentucky the word barbecue was somehow turned into the word "bergoo" apparently while Kentucky was still a part of the Commonwealth of Virginia before 1797.

Burgoo...and didn't know it was a local tradition...let alone the fondness for sheep and mutton! (see the attachment)

jestridge
03-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Didn't know you had a blog until today. Very informative blog and I usually don't do blog

gtr
03-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Awesome!

I'm reading the "Barbecue - History of an American Institution" book you mentioned in another thread - great read!

pinkelephant
03-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Wow! My grandmother was full blooded Cherokee. I wish I could ask her about that.

BTW - what orifice did u pull your comment from and what does it have to do with this thread?
Maybe you didn't read the article. When i was a kid I went thru school with a knife on my belt. I was in the High School rifle team and we shot guns and threw knives and hatchets in boy scouts. now if you play a game where you go "bang bang" with you finger pointed at a friend, you get suspended. If a 6 year old packs a butter knife with lunch they can be expelled until FOX news turns it into a national story.

He played "indians" in this story. I used to play that as a kid.
there were no orifices used in my post.

CarolinaQue
03-05-2012, 11:09 AM
WOW!!! Talk about hijacking a thread and making more out of it than was intended!!!:loco:

CarolinaQue
03-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the share Bo...if only one could go back to the simpler times!!!

landarc
03-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Who wants to go back there for good, times were bad then too. Just find yourself a creek or beach, start a fire, stick some wieners on sticks and grab a soda. The best part of then will be right there. There is something special about cooking over a open fire, with family and friends.

CarolinaQue
03-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Who wants to go back there for good, times were bad then too. Just find yourself a creek or beach, start a fire, stick some wieners on sticks and grab a soda. The best part of then will be right there. There is something special about cooking over a open fire, with family and friends.

In the warmer months here...we try to do that at least once a week, some times more. No creek here, just swamp beyond the woods...but a nice quite place in the woods none the less!!! By simpler, I meant with out all of the hustle and bustle. Life was slower and the joys seemed to have been simpler then.

landarc
03-05-2012, 11:39 AM
I loved the stress and pressure of what I did for years, I miss it, truth be told. But, I really do look forward to the couple of times a year we all get away for a few days of camping. I am not supposed to go camping alone anymore, I used to love that too.

Big George's BBQ
03-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Very Nice Thanks for sharing

smokingj
03-05-2012, 12:34 PM
bookmarked your blog.
Got anything on 'que up here in Northern VA other than George Washington's exploits?

pinkelephant
03-05-2012, 12:38 PM
WOW!!! Talk about hijacking a thread and making more out of it than was intended!!!:loco:

not at all. It is an awesome window into the lives of 2 families having fun just a couple years after the civil war.

jestridge
03-05-2012, 12:49 PM
I like to read about those times , but not live them

Boshizzle
03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Maybe you didn't read the article. When i was a kid I went thru school with a knife on my belt. I was in the High School rifle team and we shot guns and threw knives and hatchets in boy scouts. now if you play a game where you go "bang bang" with you finger pointed at a friend, you get suspended. If a 6 year old packs a butter knife with lunch they can be expelled until FOX news turns it into a national story.

He played "indians" in this story. I used to play that as a kid.
there were no orifices used in my post.

:laugh: Ok, that clears it up. I had no idea where you were going with that comment.

cholloway
03-05-2012, 07:50 PM
I find it amazing they fed 12 people with 2 chickens!
Small appetites or large potatoes.

Boshizzle
03-05-2012, 09:19 PM
I find it amazing they fed 12 people with 2 chickens!
Small appetites or large potatoes.

It could be done. You can get at least 16 pieces of chicken out of two chickens.