PDA

View Full Version : First UDS build questions?

BluegrassSmoke
03-03-2012, 10:08 PM
I've been reading, a lot, about building a UDS, picked up two drums this week...

I'm having them sandblasted, would I still need to burn them out? Should be clean after sandblasting....

Looked at a deep dish pizza pan for a ash pan, what size are the ash pans most use? I'm looking at a 16X2 pan....

Today I bought the ball valve and two gas pipe inserts...I bought them in 3/4". Then I read a thread on building and he drilled a 1" hole and said the 3/4 " would thread into the 1"hole....I bought a 3/4" drill bit also..should I return this 3/4" drill bit and get a 1" hole saw?

Also, instead in the bolts to hold the top grill, I like the idea of the U bolts...more holding area for the grill...good idea or stay with long bolts?

Thanks all, sorry for the questions, but I want to do it right one time....

colonel00
03-03-2012, 10:28 PM
See answers in red below.

I've been reading, a lot, about building a UDS, picked up two drums this week...

I'm having them sandblasted, would I still need to burn them out? Should be clean after sandblasting....

They should be but it is still fun to burn stuff :thumb: You will at least want to wash them out and season them with a decent fire.

Looked at a deep dish pizza pan for a ash pan, what size are the ash pans most use? I'm looking at a 16X2 pan....

It all depends on the diameter of your charcoal basket. The idea is for the ash catcher to be under the charcoal and catch the ashes. If the diameter of you charcoal basket is 16" or less then you are fine.

Today I bought the ball valve and two gas pipe inserts...I bought them in 3/4". Then I read a thread on building and he drilled a 1" hole and said the 3/4 " would thread into the 1"hole....I bought a 3/4" drill bit also..should I return this 3/4" drill bit and get a 1" hole saw?

If you are going the non-weld route then yes, you will need a 1" hole saw to make a hole big enough for the 3/4" pipe to thread into. 3/4" pipe has an outside diameter of 1".

Also, instead in the bolts to hold the top grill, I like the idea of the U bolts...more holding area for the grill...good idea or stay with long bolts?

That is completely up to you. Keep in mind that the more stuff you have sticking out into the space of the drum, the more stuff you have in the way when removing the charcoal basket or lower grate if you are going to have one. Really though, 3 bolts hold just fine as long as you get some of a decent size.

Thanks all, sorry for the questions, but I want to do it right one time....

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Three single bolts to hold each rack really works best because if they aren't exactly at the same level, your grate will still sit flat on them. If you use U Bolts you are going ot have ot make sure they are perfectly level and all at the same level or your grill won't sit perfectly flat against them. Not that it makes much difference one way or the other, but the single bolt system is fully functional and easier to install and there is no sacrifice of quality or functionality.

martyleach
03-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Glad you are ready to go with the UDS.
1. if sandblasted, I would just pressure wash it or hose it out good before I did a burn in with some greasy food.
2. You don't want your ash pan to be very deep as it will cut off the air flow coming in from the pipe nipples. I use a pizza pan that is almost flat and works just fine. You aren't going to get that much ash.
3. Go with the 1" hole saw.
4. your choice on ubolts or regular. I have regular and have not had any problems. All of my bolts are stainless. No galvanized or zinc plated. Bad for you....

Have fun!

FiremanVinny
03-03-2012, 10:38 PM
just built mine 2 weeks ago.. used 3 stainless bolts. sits perfectly flat.

BluegrassSmoke
03-04-2012, 02:22 AM
Thanks all, back to Lowes I go...exchange the drill bit for a 1" hole saw.....sure glad I asked first...duh!

Oh well, newbie here.....

Greyeagle
03-04-2012, 07:23 AM
I like to use the KISS method for a drum smoker. I think the beauty in the smoker is the simplicity. I also think that it cooks with radiant, convection and ambient heat is the key to why it works so good.

BluegrassSmoke
03-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Reassessing my build...I'm headed to Lowes to return most of what I bought yesterday.....
Going to use magnets on the bottom air flow instead of a ball valve and gas pipes..KISS....right?
Also found a used Weber grill on CL for 40.00. All there so I should have most of what I need for Dome top, gril surface, bottom of basket, etc....

Thanks again all...:thumb:

BluegrassSmoke
03-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Picked up the used Weber today, not bad...needs cleaning but other than hat it's all there...might use the dome and grill top, not hurt the rest and I can use it if I want....

Quick ?
Using magnates for air flow on bottom, the little advertising magnates that you get free, those ok to use? I would think so...I have several on the fridge now....Pizza ones..about 2X4 inches....

BGBarracus
03-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks all, back to Lowes I go...exchange the drill bit for a 1" hole saw.....sure glad I asked first...duh!

Oh well, newbie here.....

If you have a Harbor Freight close, I'd recommend the steel step drill bits. Worked great once started with a smaller drill bit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html

Trumanj
03-04-2012, 03:13 PM
If you have a Harbor Freight close, I'd recommend the steel step drill bits. Worked great once started with a smaller drill bit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html

I bought those too and they were a pain for me. I ended up switching to a 1" hole bit

BluegrassSmoke
03-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Just won a Weber rotisserie on eBay...new, never used...everything included.....
$ 28.00 shipped....score one for me....

This UDS should come out Sa-Weet! I'll post some pictures as I go along and the finished product....

Thank all for the help....