PDA

View Full Version : Help a Newb out with buying first Backyard smoker

POS96GT
03-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Been reading the forum for about a month now and decided I want to buy a smoker. I don't need anything to Fancy. Just something that will get the job done. Something big enough for 2 briskets. Not sure if I want to use wood, lump or charcoal. Since I am a total Newb a smoker that is easy to figure out and easy to smoke on would be a plus. $400 is about the limit I am willing to spend. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chef Jim
03-03-2012, 07:27 PM
This is a no brainer. A WSM. Room for lots of meat, easy to learn, lump or bricks. Buy one any you will love it.

BluegrassSmoke
03-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Build one? UDS....

txschutte
03-03-2012, 07:32 PM
If you're gonna buy, go Weber Smokey Mountain (22.5"). You can build a UDS for about 1/8th the price, but the flavor is much different.

AMROCKS
03-03-2012, 07:35 PM
This is a no brainer. A WSM. Room for lots of meat, easy to learn, lump or bricks. Buy one any you will love it.

+1... If you were willing to spend more like 800 I would say go for a Big Green Egg just for the flexibility. But for the price you can't go wrong with the Weber Smoky Mountain for sure.

jestridge
03-03-2012, 07:36 PM
i buy something cheap make sure you going to like it. Lot of people will start a new hobby and buy a bunch of expensive stuff then nver use it again

txschutte
03-03-2012, 07:38 PM
i buy sometime cheap make sure you going to like it. Lot of people will start a new hobby and buy a bunch of expensive stuff then nver use it again

However, with a WSM 22.5, he could recover about 75% of his costs if he listed it on EBay.

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Just in case someone hasn't said it already, the 22.5 Weber Smokey Mountain or a two-rack ugly drum smoker is where you want to be. Two briskets is a lot of meat and you need a larger pit to do that much at one time.

Bbq Bubba
03-03-2012, 07:50 PM
You haven't built a drum yet?

POS96GT
03-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I was actually thinking about the WSM....what are the thougts on a Char-Griller Smokin Pro? Also was pondering the idea of smoking with wood down the road. Is there a smoker in the same price range that would be a good wood burner as well? I'm assuming that the WSM isn't designed for wood but could be totally wrong.

BillywannaQ
03-03-2012, 08:07 PM
If you go with the Chargriller you'll need to modify it to cook with any type of consistancy. They're thin, leak like sieves, and difficult to maintain a steady temp IMHO. Academy sells some better quality stick burners in that price range. I would start there.

LMAJ
03-03-2012, 08:40 PM
WSM or if you are handy a UDS.
Get your feet wet and save your pennies cause you will want another/different cooker. You wouldn't be able to help ourself.

kenthanson
03-03-2012, 08:49 PM
I was actually thinking about the WSM....what are the thougts on a Char-Griller Smokin Pro? Also was pondering the idea of smoking with wood down the road. Is there a smoker in the same price range that would be a good wood burner as well? I'm assuming that the WSM isn't designed for wood but could be totally wrong.

Pass on the char griller. Got one last spring and what it cost for it and shipping I would have been better buying a wsm from the weber store down the street. I use my char griller weekly and produce some great Q on it, it needs a lot of mods and A LOT of attention when you are cooking.

va_connoisseur
03-03-2012, 09:07 PM
WSM it's so easy it's like cheating. If you have access to the supplies, go with the UDS.

bbqwilly
03-03-2012, 09:17 PM
You have plenty of good recommendations. I would be sure to buy something that youre not going to out grow in a year. When I first started I bought the little Brinkman from lowes and 3 months later I was wishing I had more room.
Im not telling you to buy a Lang 84. Just be sure that you get something big enough to fill your needs.

pinkelephant
03-03-2012, 09:19 PM
build a Uds!! (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127404)
I have 3 char grillers in the back yard and a 1993 brinkmann smoke-n-pit. they take constant tending. it feels great getting it done and making great food but the UDS has pretty much replaced all of my smokers (and I have a BUNCH of el-cheapo smokers)

shirknwrk
03-03-2012, 09:25 PM
The Chargriller Kamado (Lowes) would give you a grill and a smoker... like an Egg... at less than half the price... If you already have a kettle style grill, the WSM would compliment it perfectly.

Harbormaster
03-03-2012, 09:32 PM
...what are the thoughts on a Char-Griller Smokin Pro?

Buy the best and only cry once.

Go Weber.

Get a WSM.

Jay Bird
03-03-2012, 09:52 PM
The WSM would be my suggestion. Only Question is size. The 18 works for me, but if you are going to go big batch the larger size is the way to go.

Mark M
03-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Since you're in Texas, and some of the best pit builders are in Houston and elsewhere in Texas, I'd talk with somebody like Ritch Robin at Gator Pit of Texas to see what kind of deal he could give you on a small pit. He builds a product that will last you and your kids' lifetimes. Yes it will cost you more, but you'll enjoy it for a LONG time. And if for some reason you didn't, I'm sure there are many Texans in your neighborhood that would love to buy a used Gator Pit so you could always get a big chunk of your investment back. IMHO.

Triple T BBQ
03-04-2012, 06:30 AM
Since you're in Texas, and some of the best pit builders are in Houston and elsewhere in Texas, I'd talk with somebody like Ritch Robin at Gator Pit of Texas to see what kind of deal he could give you on a small pit. He builds a product that will last you and your kids' lifetimes. Yes it will cost you more, but you'll enjoy it for a LONG time. And if for some reason you didn't, I'm sure there are many Texans in your neighborhood that would love to buy a used Gator Pit so you could always get a big chunk of your investment back. IMHO.

Solid Advice here if you don't decide to go for an kamado or a WSM. Your in a great state with a ton of talent just up and down I35 from you.

Pappy
03-04-2012, 06:38 AM
If you're gonna buy, go Weber Smokey Mountain (22.5"). You can build a UDS for about 1/8th the price, but the flavor is much different.

Why would the flavor be different?
They are both just a metal can with meat & charcoal.

POS96GT
03-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Why would the flavor be different?
They are both just a metal can with meat & charcoal.

I was kinda wondering that too....After looking around a little more and listening to the majority opinion I will be getting a WSM. I believe I will be very happy with this smoker. Thanks to all that replied.

NFLNative
03-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Weber WSM 22.5. You won't regret it, it's a Weber!!

pwa
03-04-2012, 07:06 PM

Kinda with Pappy on this why would the flavor be any different?

pwa

pigpen269
03-04-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm with them. Why would the flavor be any different? I've smoked on a dozen smokers and turned out relatively similar Que on each one. More to do with rub's and wood than what it's being smoked on.

snyper77
03-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Forget "money". Yes, I said "forget money". Think about what PROCESS you would enjoy most. Would you like to keep bags of charcoal around the house, using that as your fuel source, "set it and forget it"? OR......would you like to cut wood, split wood, and cook with wood on a fired pit? Those are called stick burners and are NOT "set it and forget it" units. You must man the fire, adding a log every 45 min or so. Pros and cons to each one. Folks that own stick burners claim that cooking with wood punches a flavor into the meat that just can't be done any other way.

The reason I said "forget money", is because if you take your time, and decide you want a stick burner, a QUALITY unit starts around $995. We're talking 1/4" steel and it'll last you the rest of your cooking days.
Buy the RIGHT one, the FIRST time. And yes, if you decide that's the way you want to go, then you WILL come up with a grand and get you "THE" smoker that makes you happy. ;)

P.S. If you would like to serve BBQ for lunch on a regular basis, you better stick with a WSM. You can set it up at midnight, go to bed, and have a butt ready and waiting for lunch. You can't do that with a stick burner, unless you stay up all night, feeding it wood. Decisions decisions. ;)

glh17
03-05-2012, 02:00 AM
I think you've just described the WSM 22.5 although with shipping and tax you'll be a bit over $400. An 18.5 would definitely keep the cost below $400 but I'm not sure if its large enough for 2 packers. I have one but never cooked brisket. The WSMs are good cookers.

The Cosmic Pig
03-05-2012, 02:12 AM
If I wanted to cook two packers on a regular basis I would definitely go with the 22.5. I went with the smaller one and wished I would have spent the extra $100 for the larger unit. I'm pretty sure you can get the 22.5 for $400 and free shipping with no tax. Exactly meets your budget!
They are temporarily out of stock, but here's one place to get them for $399, no tax, no shipping charge. It's where I got mine. Good luck!

http://www.aimtofind.com/grills-and-smokers/weber-22-5-inch-smokey-mountain-cooker-pn-731001-2012-model.html

nexpress
03-05-2012, 07:00 AM
Get the 22.5 WSM. I have the 18.5 and wish I would have gotten the 22.5.

Trumpstylz
03-05-2012, 08:32 AM
The Chargriller Kamado (Lowes) would give you a grill and a smoker... like an Egg... at less than half the price... If you already have a kettle style grill, the WSM would compliment it perfectly.

Yeah, id consider the chargriller kamado.

Some costcos carry the big green egg, and it looks like costco will be releasing a generic brand of kamado cooker very soon (think big green egg)

QDoc
03-05-2012, 08:41 AM
The Weber products can't be beat for price and quality. Depending in my budget I would go with the 22 or 18 WSM and the 22 or 26 grill. That combination should serve you well for your family and all the friends you NEED to have over for a party.

Chef Jim
03-05-2012, 08:42 AM
You have received some real good advise. I will just add one more. I posted first that this question was a no brainer. It seems as though most, but not all, have said the WSM 22.5 is the way to go.

If in case you should decide that you no longer want to smoke, I doubt you will, the WSM would be much easier to sell. You might not get a pile of money back because some other brethren will want to steal it from you. I include myself in that group, probably at the top.

Buy your smoker, break it in, and ask us all the questions you will need answered.

jpmor1
03-05-2012, 09:04 AM
I bought an Old Country Pecos offset for $400 from Academy a few months ago and love it. The firebox has pretty heavy steel, and the cooking chamber is quite large. It should hold two briskets with no trouble. I can cook with charcoal, wood, or both. The temps do seem to swing a little when I'm using wood, but who really cares??? I don't want to sit by the pit low and slow all day anyway. (Not music to the ears of those who must be at 225 all day, I know.) I have enjoyed it so far. And I can not use the firebox and do some pretty mean steaks on direct heat too.

snyper77
03-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Final verdict?

Big_Alvin
03-10-2012, 10:03 PM
another vote for the 22.5 wsm, i picked up a used 18.5 and love it. the two chrgrillers with all the mods have worked fine for me but i wish i had gotten the wsm sooner

TomB
03-11-2012, 05:43 AM
Love my 22" WSMs! Maintain their temp real well. Plus easy to move around.

POS96GT
03-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Final verdict?
22.5 WSM is what I will be getting this week