PDA

View Full Version : Alfredo sauce question.

Cutem all Jack
03-03-2012, 06:11 PM
I have bought some parmesan cheese, butter, cornstarch and some heavy wiping cream. Am I missing anything to make some grilled chicken Alfredo?

landarc
03-03-2012, 06:19 PM
You have enough there. The original Alfredo uses only parmesan cheese, butter, pasta water and white pepper.

cameraman
03-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Lipitor

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 06:35 PM
My alfredo sauce is equal parts of butter, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese. White pepper is ok but I like a little nutmeg instead.

deepsouth
03-03-2012, 07:05 PM
i'd pass on the cornstarch as well.

i use half and half as well as cream sometimes.

here is what i did last time....

2 cloves chopped garlic
2 green onions
1 pint heavy whipping cream
2 cups grated parmesan regiano
1/4 cup butter
2 tbs olive oil
pepper to taste
fresh parsley to garnish

Cutem all Jack
03-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys!

dapittboss
03-03-2012, 07:43 PM
I add a touch of nutmeg as well.

boatnut
03-03-2012, 07:51 PM
I don't wanna know what "wiping cream" is...just sayin' :)

kwas68
03-03-2012, 07:54 PM
We love the Cook's Country recipe.

KingRanch450
03-03-2012, 08:15 PM
No cornstarch and add some cayenne pepper!:mad2:

LoneStarMojo
03-04-2012, 12:43 AM
agreed...no cornstarch...and goodness you got to bring the garlic hard!

chingador
03-04-2012, 09:44 AM
the best way is simply heavy cream, butter and Parmesan. I start by melting a stick of butter and whisking in 16-20 ounces of heavy cream. Make sure it is fully incorporated and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and continue on stirring often until it reduces down to where it is thick enough to heavily coat a spoon. Then and only then should you add the Parmesan cheese. I add the cheese little at a time until the flavor is right. Maybe a half a cup but I am not sure. Keep tasting. It is important not to add cheese too early or too much at once. If you do that, you will have cheese melted to the bottom of the pan.

The other way to make Alfredo sauce is to make a classic bechemel sauce, which is a flour/butter roux with warm milk added. The first method is better IMHO.

cameraman
03-04-2012, 10:44 AM
the best way is simply heavy cream, butter and Parmesan. I start by melting a stick of butter and whisking in 16-20 ounces of heavy cream. Make sure it is fully incorporated and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and continue on stirring often until it reduces down to where it is thick enough to heavily coat a spoon. Then and only then should you add the Parmesan cheese. I add the cheese little at a time until the flavor is right. Maybe a half a cup but I am not sure. Keep tasting. It is important not to add cheese too early or too much at once. If you do that, you will have cheese melted to the bottom of the pan.

I believe you are spot on there.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Cutem all Jack
03-04-2012, 05:41 PM
I made it and the flavor was unbelievable but the shredded parmesan never would melt all the way? I even brought it back to a boil and wisked it for about 5 minutes after I added the cheese. Do y'all ever use grated cheese to prevent that?

Thanks for all the help again!

realspaazz
03-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I made it and the flavor was unbelievable but the shredded parmesan never would melt all the way? I even brought it back to a boil and wisked it for about 5 minutes after I added the cheese. Do y'all ever use grated cheese to prevent that?

If you use a Microplane to shred the Parmesan cheese and add it a little bit at a time while whisking the hot sauce, it should melt readily. Hope that this helps.

Cutem all Jack
03-04-2012, 06:58 PM
If you use a Microplane to shred the Parmesan cheese and add it a little bit at a time while whisking the hot sauce, it should melt readily. Hope that this helps.

I just bought kraft shredded, should I buy block and do it myself next time?

chingador
03-04-2012, 07:00 PM

As funny as it sounds, use the cheap powdery kind of parmesan cheese, at first at least. It melts better and will thicken the sauce. Once the sauce is thick enough to where cheese will suspend, use the better type. Once the sauce is thick, resist the urge to raise the temperature. You can always add a little more cream if it gets too thick.

landarc
03-04-2012, 07:24 PM
I now use a microplane, but, the original recipe called for grating the cheese.