PDA

View Full Version : $299 Char-Griller Kamado First Looks

Pages : [1] 2 3

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Here are two video reviews I put together today on this new Char-Griller Kamado. The third review will come tomorrow as I make a video review of cooking a 7lb Boston Butt with it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmWZ7h-aZdw

Part 1 is a video walk-around with some discussion of the features...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Wifp2CKiE

Part 2 is my seasoning burn and looking for air leaks with a demonstration of the removable ash pan and a look at cool-down time...

I'm quite happy with what I see so far. In Part 2, I don't think I gave the dome thermometer a fair shake for the most part. I'll look at that element again tomorrow while I'm cooing with a heat diffuser...

bbqchicken
03-03-2012, 12:54 AM
great videos. Can't wait for your next. :thumb: I had a feeling about the bottom vent area.

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 12:57 AM
great videos. Can't wait for your next. :thumb: I had a feeling about the bottom vent area.

With the fire going and the vents closed you have a pretty strong positive pressure inside the cooker. It has to escape somewhere and it will help show you where the weak links are. I'm not sure that point on this cooker is even weak enough to worry about.

Jerm-40
03-03-2012, 01:44 AM
Were u able to get the temp down lower and hold it??? I saw the vents where almost closed and the temp still showed 400 at the gauge.

phil c
03-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Great info! I was looking at one of those the other day. I'll be watching this with great interest.

BBQ4FUN
03-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Great review. I will be watching this thread. Thanks. Looks like a decent cooker. For the price I might just have to get one just to have. :thumb:

BBQ_MAFIA
03-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the Video. Looking forward to seeing part 3

manbearpig
03-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Hate to say it , but that looks like it could be a BGE killer. they have addressed alot of the issues that make the Egg inconvenient. Thanks for the video . Good job !!

jsperk
03-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks for vids JM. Great work. Can't wait for more feed back.

Dex
03-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Throw some meat on that bad boy! Cant wait to see and hear the results after you cook on it.

smokinit
03-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Nice thats tempting at that price.

smokeyw
03-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Good review :thumb: I'm anxious to see how it does cooking a butt. It should cook low and slow just fine after you get used to setting the draft controls.
Any concerns that the gasket on the bottom section will deteriorate over time and it will start leaking air? I know the lid has the same type gasket but I don't believe it will cause issues like a leak around the bottom.

Randbo
03-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Nice video's Thanks! I am looking forward to see the cook!!!

Nomo4me
03-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Excellent work on both videos!
I'll be looking forward to your ability to hold 225 - 250 deg temps during your low & slow. If it will do that without hunting and caulking leaks this thing will really have some legs.

My early opinion is that the penalty for the low price will be paid a few years down the road when it will show a bit of rust. How much is anyone's guess.

El Ropo
03-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Nice looking cooker!

Can't wait to see the butt video. :becky:

I'm kind of hoping you choose to go hot and fast with it though :|

JS-TX
03-03-2012, 10:50 AM
2 excellent videos, great job :grin: Nice res too on them as well.

I have the same gasket on my kegs. My 2 kegs are almost 2 years old and the gasket is still ok, shows some wear from being closed most of the time but no problems. The only time I get smoke leaks is when I'm running a probe wire into the keg. But that's just when the smoke is heavy in the beginning. My guess is since your lid is not as heavy, the gasket will hold out even longer. As far as rust is concerned, I keep them under cover so no big concerns there. Any cooker is likely to show some rust or a little wear on it's parts if you expose it to the elements. Can't wait for your next vid. :grin:

OKinVA
03-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Great walkthrough! I've been eyeing that at Lowe's for about a week now. Looking forward to your next video.

nic
03-03-2012, 11:05 AM
I've had my eye on a primo for awhile, but the difference in price does a lot of work on the house. I might stop by Lowe's today.

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Nice looking cooker!

Can't wait to see the butt video. :becky:

I'm kind of hoping you choose to go hot and fast with it though :|

No hot and fast on this cook. My objective with this one is to see how well the Kamado maintains temps in the 250 degree range. I already know that it will cook hot with no problems. I just put the butt on and it's coming back up to temp. I'm targeting 250-275 degrees on this cook. If it handles that well it will be able to handle anything.

BBQJack
03-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Great video - I wish there wasn't any background music though

How heavy is that sucker? Looks like a good camping grill to me.....

bbqchicken
03-03-2012, 11:41 AM
No hot and fast on this cook. My objective with this one is to see how well the Kamado maintains temps in the 250 degree range. I already know that it will cook hot with no problems. I just put the butt on and it's coming back up to temp. I'm targeting 250-275 degrees on this cook. If it handles that well it will be able to handle anything.

using lump or KB?

Phesant
03-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanx for the review, I've been thinking of getting one of these......

Nciely Done :thumb:

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 11:45 AM
using lump or KB?

I'm using lump, and that is another new element for me too. I have used Kingsford Blue exclusively for the most part since I started. I'm not very happy with the Cowboy Lump at this point but I bought it because it was convenient at the time.

This low and slow cook is going to be a challenge. I'm having a difficult time keeping the temp down. It hasn't stabilized yet.

BillywannaQ
03-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Excellent videos. I really enjoyed them. I really like the removable ash pan. That's the reason I got rid of my Big Steel Keg. It was a pain to clean out the ash. Looking forward to your next video.

Triple T BBQ
03-03-2012, 11:57 AM
JM,

Thanks for the review. Nicely done. Could I suggest you drop the music out when you are doing the actual reviews? Having it playing in the background is rather distracting. Thanks for doing the review!!

bbqchicken
03-03-2012, 12:01 PM
I LOVE lump but still haven't used it for long cooks. Not saying it won't work but some low quality lump can be a nightmare.

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 12:43 PM
JM,

Thanks for the review. Nicely done. Could I suggest you drop the music out when you are doing the actual reviews? Having it playing in the background is rather distracting. Thanks for doing the review!!

I'll see what I can do with that. I'll drop it down a little lower and see what happens. My little video camera is a little picky with sound too and sometimes it lets my voice drop below something else since I'm behind the camera rather than in front of it.

smokeyw
03-03-2012, 12:46 PM
I agree that the removable ash pan is a nice feature. However, I have concerns that over time it will develop air leaks. I know the lid uses the same type gasket but I think air leaks in the bottom will cause far more issues.

Excellent videos. I really enjoyed them. I really like the removable ash pan. That's the reason I got rid of my Big Steel Keg. It was a pain to clean out the ash. Looking forward to your next video.

powerpig
03-03-2012, 01:25 PM
I have a BGE and Viking Egg. I was on the fence about this one, but after seeing the video, I pulled the trigger and bought one. In fact, it was the last one available in my area. Just got back with it and about to put it together. Will report back.

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 01:29 PM
I have a BGE and Viking Egg. I was on the fence about this one, but after seeing the video, I pulled the trigger and bought one. In fact, it was the last one available in my area. Just got back with it and about to put it together. Will report back.

I'm glad someone else here has decided to give this cooker a try. There is another guy (I can't remember his ID) who has a thread going about his RED model which is very similar but not identical to this one. He made some mods to his air intake vent and I might want to investigate those a little later, but 2.5 hours into my butt cook (7.15lbs) I'm stabilized at under 275 degrees. A few minutes ago, I checked it and it was at 267. The bottom vent is completely closed and the top vent is just cracked open at the "1" setting. The cooker is definitely getting air with the vent closed, but it doesn't appear to be too much to mess up a low and slow cook at this point. I'm also inexperienced with lump charcoal, so I probably could have lowered my temps by allowing less lit lump to start the cook.

Nomo4me
03-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Maybe a rutland replacement gasket at the bottom joint would be a worthwhile experiment?

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Maybe a rutland replacement gasket at the bottom joint would be a worthwhile experiment?

Maybe but I don't want to look into making any mods until I understand how the cooker performs as is. Once I understand that and determine IF I need to make any mods, I'll look into the options. I'm thinking, at this point, that if any air intake mods need to be made, they need to be made at the vent first. If I can maintain 250-275 without any mods to the grill I'll probably keep it as is.

Q-Dat
03-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Excellent review JM! A suggestion for not overshooting the temp. On my Bubba Keg, I start a pretty small fire right in the middle. I do it with a torch, or a starter cube. I close the lid and open the vents all the way. I just watch the temp slowly climb until it gets close to where I want it, and close the vent almost all the way. Then I just open it a little at a time until I'm where I want to be. Takes a little time, but this way you never end up with a fire thats bigger than what you need.

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Excellent review JM! A suggestion for not overshooting the temp. On my Bubba Keg, I start a pretty small fire right in the middle. I do it with a torch, or a starter cube. I close the lid and open the vents all the way. I just watch the temp slowly climb until it gets close to where I want it, and close the vent almost all the way. Then I just open it a little at a time until I'm where I want to be. Takes a little time, but this way you never end up with a fire thats bigger than what you need.

That's pretty much what I did here and the upcoming video will show it. I use a weber starter cube in the bottom of the fire box to get things going. I probably just didn't shut down the air soon enough but we're still hanging in there at 270-275 at the 4 hour mark. I'm good with that. It has gotten as low as 263 according to my Maverick but I haven't touched the vents since the 1 hour mark. The bottom vent is still all the way close and the top vent is just cracked barely open.

JS-TX
03-03-2012, 03:16 PM
That's pretty much what I did here and the upcoming video will show it. I use a weber starter cube in the bottom of the fire box to get things going.

I wouldn't put it on the bottom, I would put it just under the top piece of lump in your mound. Q-dat has good advice, it's best to give it just a little air at a time to get to your target temp. Make small adjustments, it can sometime take 10 minutes or so for it to adjust to the new temp. A lot of people make too big of adjustments and their temps get way too high. Also check to see if the OEM therm has an adjustable nut on the back of it to calibrate the temp. Hopefully it's not a totally crap therm. It may take a few cooks to get your technique down. Also as you know Cowboy lump doesn't have a good rep. hopefully it doesn't affect your results.

bigabyte
03-03-2012, 03:21 PM
I gotta admit, this gets more and more tempting.

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't put it on the bottom, I would put it just under the top piece of lump in your mound. Q-dat has good advice, it's best to give it just a little air at a time to get to your target temp. Make small adjustments, it can sometime take 10 minutes or so for it to adjust to the new temp. A lot of people make too big of adjustments and their temps get way too high. Also check to see if the OEM therm has an adjustable nut on the back of it to calibrate the temp. Hopefully it's not a totally crap therm. It may take a few cooks to get your technique down. Also as you know Cowboy lump doesn't have a good rep. hopefully it doesn't affect your results.

The onboard thermometer has no calibration nut. In this cook with the diffuser in place, it's reading anywhere from 35-50 degrees low of my Maverick. I'm not too worried about the dome thermometer since I always use something else.

Adjusting the air here seems to respond about the same speed as my UDS so there is not a lot of difference. It's sorta hard to gage a response time since I'm cooking at nearly the bare minimum airflow this thing is capable of. I'm also dealing with some breezy weather, but other than that I'm satisfied at this point. The only thing that will ruin my day now is if Duke loses to UNC and/or if my Butt tastes nasty for some reason :)

powerpig
03-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Got the grill put together. I'm very impressed with how tightly this unit is engineered. Since we just moved, I can't find my electric lighter, so I've got wicked good lump going in the weber chimney.

Gonna do the burn in for about an hour then grill some steaks. Sorry, can't post pics as I haven't found my camera yet.

Flat_Rate
03-03-2012, 04:11 PM
JM your making it tough not to get in the car and head down to Lowes, the only reason I don't is because I wouldn't have room for it. Gotta find someone to take the other Char-Griller off my hands.

Oh and Duke losing would ruin my day as well

Pyle's BBQ
03-03-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm glad someone else here has decided to give this cooker a try. There is another guy (I can't remember his ID) who has a thread going about his RED model which is very similar but not identical to this one. He made some mods to his air intake vent and I might want to investigate those a little later, but 2.5 hours into my butt cook (7.15lbs) I'm stabilized at under 275 degrees. A few minutes ago, I checked it and it was at 267. The bottom vent is completely closed and the top vent is just cracked open at the "1" setting. The cooker is definitely getting air with the vent closed, but it doesn't appear to be too much to mess up a low and slow cook at this point. I'm also inexperienced with lump charcoal, so I probably could have lowered my temps by allowing less lit lump to start the cook.

Oldyote has this thread going. He bought his last spring.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102731

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Well, from what I have seen so far, I'm happy with my purchase. The low and slow aspect was the only thing I was worried about. Air leaks can make that very difficult to do but this Kamado seems to be handling it fairly well right out of the box with no modifications. I'll admit that some previous experience with low and slow cooking is making it a little easier, but I'm new to this type of cooker and also new to using lump charcoal and it's still working rather well.

The question of longevity on this cooker is what's gonna be left to determine. I can't speak for that obviously because I haven't had it but a few days. What I can say is that I DID purchase the cover for it and I do not leave my cookers out in the weather. They stay parked under an outside awning and they stay covered. I think with any type of grill or smoker, proper maintenance will make it last a long time. This cooker has porcelain coating on everything that could possibly be a rust point. I'll have to keep my eyes open for visible rust developing on the outside metal stand and shelf parts. If I see that happening, it won't be a big deal to use a little wire brush action and touch it up with some paint.

I take care of my stuff. If everyone else does, I'm sure they will get longer life out of their cookers. I had a Char-Griller gas grill that I used for three seasons before I gave it away. It had no signs of rust on it anywhere when I gave it away. It did NOT have porcelain coatings on anything other than the grill grates. It, as with my other cookers, stayed covered and out of the weather as well.

powerpig
03-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I hope you guys don't mind my review in this thread also. I didn't want to start another.

Anyway, it reached 700 plus quick! It is hot to the touch at that temp but is holding the heat and smoke just fine.

I'm cooling it down to 500 and will throw a couple of steaks on.

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 04:48 PM
I hope you guys don't mind my review in this thread also. I didn't want to start another.

Anyway, it reached 700 plus quick! It is hot to the touch at that temp but is holding the heat and smoke just fine.

I'm cooling it down to 500 and will throw a couple of steaks on.

Go find your camera!

Also, nothing wrong with 700° for those steaks either....

powerpig
03-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Go find your camera!

Also, nothing wrong with 700° for those steaks either....

We still have about 100 boxes to unpack. :confused:

Anyway, the verdict is in...the steaks were perfect! Very well enginered grill and easy to use. Just make sure you season it and burn all the shipping crud off it.

As mentioned earlier, I have a BGE and a Viking Egg. This unit is every bit as good as they are.

I recommend you run, not walk to Lowes and grab one of these.

I'm going to do a packer on it tomorrow and will report back.

txschutte
03-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Great vids! I have been wanting to upgrade to a Kamado, but the Eggs are outta my league. Your testimonials may sway my dollar vote.

sandiegobbq
03-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Well, how did the butt turn out?

PaPaGrizz
03-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the time and effort you put into this video.

Waiting for part 3....:hungry:

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Well, how did the butt turn out?

It hasn't come off yet but it won't be long now...

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 06:29 PM
As mentioned earlier, I have a BGE and a Viking Egg. This unit is every bit as good as they are.

I recommend you run, not walk to Lowes and grab one of these.

I'm going to do a packer on it tomorrow and will report back.

I'm really glad to hear that from someone who has cooked on an egg. I have seen a lot of kamados up close but never cooked on one and when I saw this one I felt like it would be better than the rest. I'm thinking this is a good choice if you don't want to fork out for an egg.

topsideup
03-03-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm glad that I came across you post today. I just heard about this Kamado 2 days ago. I went to the local Lowe's last night to take a look at one, but they did not have any. Nobody has said, and their ad does not say, is the Char Griller Kamado insulated, or just an inner and outer layer of metal ? Looking forward to seeing how your low and slow cook turned out. Thanks for all the info !

bbqchicken
03-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Cooking space is 306-inch and a warm rack of 165-inch
Insulated design means more heat uses less charcoal and less airflow means insulated heat for juicy meat
Cooking surface is cast iron and will hold up to 23 burgers; body is constructed of 22 gauge steel; exterior finish is powder coated steel; interior finish is porcelain coated steel; easy to assemble
Cart is constructed of tubular steel with rubber wheels, locking caster on front; indexed damper is numbered so you can note the position of the damper when you cook your favorite meals - this adds to the consistence of your cooking experience
Features locking lid, 2 folding wood shelves; easy dump ash pan; double wall insulation, heat gauge

http://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-16619-Kamado-Charcoal-Barbecue/dp/B005ELWI7S

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Features locking lid, 2 folding wood shelves; easy dump ash pan; double wall insulation, heat gauge

The tables on the Lowes model are metal and not wood.

JS-TX
03-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm really surprised to hear that temps respond rather quickly. I'm wondering if your initial higher heat or the fact that you lit your lump at the bottom has anything to do with that? Or maybe your maverick is more sensitive than stem therms..

I'm curious what the footprint LxW is with the tables folded down? Is it heavy to load it in back of a pickup? I have no intentions of getting rid of my kegs, but this is why I ask..
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz184/js-tx/BBQ/carrier.jpg

powerpig
03-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Sorry, double post.

powerpig
03-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm really surprised to hear that temps respond rather quickly. I'm wondering if your initial higher heat or the fact that you lit your lump at the bottom has anything to do with that? Or maybe your maverick is more sensitive than stem therms..

I'm curious what the footprint LxW is with the tables folded down? Is it heavy to load it in back of a pickup? I have no intentions of getting rid of my kegs, but this is why I ask..

If I may answer.....my estimate is that it weighs 40-50 pounds. Very easy to move around. Overall, a fairly small foorprint.

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 07:32 PM

I measured the footprint at 30" wide and about 25" deep with the tables folded up.

dapittboss
03-03-2012, 07:34 PM
I think I know what I'm asking for for my birthday.

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 07:34 PM
I think it's a bit heavier. A similar cooker is listed on Amazon at 90 lbs. It's another flavor of this same cooker so the weight should be give or take 5lbs.

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 07:36 PM
My butt cook is finished. I ended up pulling it off at 195 degrees internal and the temp stayed parked between 265 and 275 for the entire cook, which ran for 7 hours and 45 minutes. The next time I do a low and slow cook, I'll be using a different lump charcoal and I'll see if I can get the temp to park at 250 or below. As far as I'm concerned, anything under 300 degrees qualifies as low and slow so I'm quite happy with the results today. I'll have the new video up late tonight. I'm waiting until I cut into the meat to make the last brief segment of this review. I think leaving that out would be short-changing the process :)

powerpig
03-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I think it's a bit heavier. A similar cooker is listed on Amazon at 90 lbs. It's another flavor of this same cooker so the weight should be give or take 5lbs.

Wow! My wife is much stronger than I thought! Can't wait to see part three of your video series. :thumb:

BillywannaQ
03-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Damn!! Just what my wife needs; another darn cooker!

Boshizzle
03-03-2012, 08:10 PM

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz184/js-tx/BBQ/carrier.jpg

I stopped by Lowes the other night to check the CGK out. It weighs about half what the BK weighs.

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 08:18 PM
I stopped by Lowes the other night to check the CGK out. It weighs about half what the BK weighs.

What makes the BK so heavy? At 90lbs that would put the BK at over 150? Thats about what the large egg weighs.

Baby Back Maniac
03-03-2012, 08:19 PM
I had a keg for several years and I can tell by your video that there is a LOT to like about your new cooker. They took a lot of the ideas that In-zone had with the keg and expanded on them even further. I'm afraid that you will eventually have to seal off that lower gasket. It's a great concept but I just can't see it going the long haul. I hope it does though. If it that happens, just take a pie pan and use it to pull the ash out the top. It's nice that the flanges are their for the diffuser to sit on because that would make great "handles" for pulling the fire box out. BK doesn't have that so it can be a little awkward to pull out.

I think you are going to be really happy with that cooker.

Baby Back Maniac
03-03-2012, 08:20 PM
What makes the BK so heavy? At 90lbs that would put the BK at over 150? Thats about what the large egg weighs.

It's not that heavy. I think the BK weighs about 65 pounds...ish. ;)

Nomo4me
03-03-2012, 08:23 PM
I'd be curious to hear why you make this supposition. Is it based on observation of another cooker?

I had a keg for several years and I can tell by your video that there is a LOT to like about your new cooker. They took a lot of the ideas that In-zone had with the keg and expanded on them even further. I'm afraid that you will eventually have to seal off that lower gasket. It's a great concept but I just can't see it going the long haul. I hope it does though. If it that happens, just take a pie pan and use it to pull the ash out the top. It's nice that the flanges are their for the diffuser to sit on because that would make great "handles" for pulling the fire box out. BK doesn't have that so it can be a little awkward to pull out.

I think you are going to be really happy with that cooker.

tish
03-03-2012, 08:38 PM
When I need to get rid of ash in my Keg, I just use an old vacuum cleaner with a hose, Sucks it right up in less than 30 seconds. Easy. :wink:

Boshizzle
03-03-2012, 08:48 PM

I don't know. But, the BK's walls are thicker than the CGK's walls. The CI grate is heavier too. Either way, the BK is a good bit heavier than the CGK.

That doesn't mean the CGK isn't a good cooker, though. I'm tempted to pick one up myself.

Boshizzle
03-03-2012, 08:50 PM
When I need to get rid of ash in my Keg, I just use an old vacuum cleaner with a hose, Sucks it right up in less than 30 seconds. Easy. :wink:

I use a grill pan (basket) to hold the charcoal (the kind sold at Lowes for ~$10.00) and an aluminum pan in the bottom of my BK. All I have to do is empty the pans and I'm done cleaning up the ash.

tish
03-03-2012, 09:13 PM
I use a grill pan (basket) to hold the charcoal (the kind sold at Lowes for ~$10.00) and an aluminum pan in the bottom of my BK. All I have to do is empty the pans and I'm done cleaning up the ash.

Joe, I have the basket and the pan, but it's easy to use the vacuum, and then I don't have to actually touch the charcoal or the pan and get all full of soot. It's a chick thing. lol :eusa_clap

JS-TX
03-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I saw this cooker at Lowes a couple weeks ago and it's at least 25lbs lighter than the keg. I'd be careful of using a really cheap pie pan at the bottom of the fire grate to catch ashes. About 1 1/2 yrs ago, after a brisket cook, somehow the ash pan caught fire with a really dark and stinky smoke. The flames were almost coming out of the lower vent. I had been using a cheap pie pan before with no problems, but that incident was enough for me to stop. I would recommend something heavier.

I've also used a shop vac, but it just seems to create a mess for me.

Sly-one
03-03-2012, 11:04 PM
For maintaining a lower temp for low and slow, I start with fewer hot coals. If I start with too large of a fire in my BGE, then the temp likes to climb up higher than what I was wanting, but if I start with a smaller fire initially, it keeps the temps lower for a longer period of time. If you're using a chimney to start the lump, you might try reducing the number of coals in the chimney by 1/4 to 1/3.
I've been using the BGE starter cubes, and for a lower running temp, I just use 1/2 of a cube to get the lump going.
By the way, a box of the BGE cubes is $6.99. Tractor supply recently had the same thing (without the BGE name on it) for $1.99.

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 11:06 PM
For maintaining a lower temp for low and slow, I start with fewer hot coals. If I start with too large of a fire in my BGE, then the temp likes to climb up higher than what I was wanting, but if I start with a smaller fire initially, it keeps the temps lower for a longer period of time. If you're using a chimney to start the lump, you might try reducing the number of coals in the chimney by 1/4 to 1/3.
I've been using the BGE starter cubes, and for a lower running temp, I just use 1/2 of a cube to get the lump going.
By the way, a box of the BGE cubes is $6.99. Tractor supply recently had the same thing (without the BGE name on it) for $1.99.

I wonder how the BGE starter cubes compare to the Weber starter cubes? A box of 24 of the Weber cubes is less than 4 bux. In reality half a cube might work with those too.

Sly-one
03-03-2012, 11:16 PM
The BGE cubes (not really cube shaped) are about 3/8" thick and about 1.5 inches on each side.

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Here's Part 3 of the review: Cooking a 7-lb Boston Butt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxyZasR9aF0

JS-TX
03-03-2012, 11:39 PM
I've used both the BGE starters and the Weber cubes and prefer the BGE ones. The Weber cubes flake quite a bit when you take them out of the package. Bust mostly I use a MAPP torch to get things going, it's much faster and a tank lasts quite a while.

Baby Back Maniac
03-03-2012, 11:52 PM
I'd be curious to hear why you make this supposition. Is it based on observation of another cooker?

I hope I am wrong. I just think the fact that it's already leaking air when the vents are closed is not encouraging. With it being so close to the lump and being removed so often, I can't see it getting better with time. Also, the fact that the vents were closed down so much to keep the temps at 275 makes me think it's already effecting the cooker temps.

JMSetzler
03-04-2012, 12:08 AM
I hope I am wrong. I just think the fact that it's already leaking air when the vents are closed is not encouraging. With it being so close to the lump and being removed so often, I can't see it getting better with time. Also, the fact that the vents were closed down so much to keep the temps at 275 makes me think it's already effecting the cooker temps.

Just curious... why wouldn't you think it's the vent itself where the air leak is? When I did the positive pressure test on the unit during the seasoning burn in the second video test, the vent is where the air leak showed up mostly.

AustinKnight
03-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Just curious... why wouldn't you think it's the vent itself where the air leak is? When I did the positive pressure test on the unit during the seasoning burn in the second video test, the vent is where the air leak showed up mostly.

The leak is in the lower air vent brotha, use some high heat gasket silicone around it and you should be good. Your butt looked really good love the videos keep up the good work :thumb::thumb::thumb:

JMSetzler
03-04-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm not worried about heat getting to the lower ash pan gasket at all. The lump is insulated from that gasket by the firebox and its also above the gasket level so that gasket should be relatively cool compared to the top dome gasket.

JackM
03-04-2012, 01:04 AM
Great job on the videos! The butt looked awesome. I'm really liking what I see from the CGK.

Q-Dat
03-04-2012, 01:24 AM
I wonder how the BGE starter cubes compare to the Weber starter cubes? A box of 24 of the Weber cubes is less than 4 bux. In reality half a cube might work with those too.

Since I discovered how well crumpled up paper towel partially soaked with oil works, I haven't bought any fire starters.

BBQ4FUN
03-04-2012, 06:41 AM
Great conclusion. Looks like its well worth the $300. Thanks for the video reviews.

BBQJack
03-04-2012, 07:07 AM
Here's Part 3 of the review: Cooking a 7-lb Boston Butt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxyZasR9aF0

Great video series, thanks for taking the time to out it together.....

smokeyw
03-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Nice review :thumb: I'm impressed with the product for the price. I think it is well worth the money. Some have expressed concern that the paint may not hold up so well but I don't share that concern. I think it will last fairly well if you take care of the product and keep it out of the weather and it would be easy enough to paint it if needed. The only concern I have is that the removable ash pan seal won't hold up over time with the constant removal and cleaning process. If I buy one (and I probably will), I may just put a pan in the bottom to catch the ashes and then pick it up and dump it. If it ever did start leaking air, you could just seal it shut with high temp caulking as one option, or I suppose you could replace the gasketing if you could find some that fit. I have to believe there is a reason some of the others haven't gone with a removable base (other than added cost). Anyway, I don't see that as a huge issue since I think it could be easily resolved one way or another. Nice job JM.

powerpig
03-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Great video and butt. I'm really liking mine. It's a lot of cooker for the money.

Garyt
03-04-2012, 11:50 AM
I decided my Lang needed a baby sister after watching your videos, just picked one up at Menards for $279 with a $30 rebate. they also had Royal oak lump for $5.88 for 8.8lb bag, got 2. Thanks for the review. This thing is huge

JMSetzler
03-04-2012, 12:00 PM
One more update...

The two cooks in this video series used a total of 4.5 lbs of lump. I dug out all the unused lump this morning and weighed it. I had 4.5lbs of reusable lump leftover from the 8.8lb bag. I'm pretty impressed with that.

BillywannaQ
03-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Another great video. I have a question: Do you think opening the top vent a little more would have gotten you down to about the 250 range? I figure it would let more heat out of the cooker. I am by no means second guessing you, I was just thinking about it. Thanks.

JMSetzler
03-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Another great video. I have a question: Do you think opening the top vent a little more would have gotten you down to about the 250 range? I figure it would let more heat out of the cooker. I am by no means second guessing you, I was just thinking about it. Thanks.

It would let more heat out but it also increases the incoming draft, which would raise the temperature of the coals at the same time.

Brian in Maine
03-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Nice review JM. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

that's hot
03-04-2012, 01:27 PM
great review and video's thanks JM .

M

Bonewagon
03-04-2012, 02:19 PM

I wonder if the keg has more insulation. This wouldn't make up the whole weight difference, but may contribute. Powerpig said his CGK was hot to the touch when he hit 700 degrees. I've been way higher than 700 degrees on my keg and it's only been slightly warm to the touch.

Thanks for the review on the char-griller. Looks like a winner. I think the only variable left is how it holds up over time.

Cabin Fever
03-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Darn good review JM.

I've never been a Char-Griller fan due to build quality (I've owned two of their offsets in the past), but it really looks like they hit a home run this time out with the CGK. I'm not really looking for a kamado style cooker, but if I ever do I'll probably go the CGK route thanks to the price. Keep up the good work my friend and thanks for the videos.

Hankdad1
03-04-2012, 05:34 PM
I decided my Lang needed a baby sister after watching your videos, just picked one up at Menards for $279 with a $30 rebate. they also had Royal oak lump for $5.88 for 8.8lb bag, got 2. Thanks for the review. This thing is huge

Hey Garyt, I've been looking at that deal too. Did yours come with the stainless or powder coated top vent? And what are the tables made of? The one on display near me looks like it might be last years model with the stainless vent.

Thanks.

Chef Jim
03-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks JM I will have to go look at one of these.

pinkelephant
03-04-2012, 07:36 PM
nice smoke ring on that butt. it looked good.

I like the 3rd vid. I didn't watch all of 1 and skipped 2. (slow internet here)

I can afford this one but if I have 3 UDS's configured for hot grillin and "low and slow", what will this thing be doing that I'm not already doing.
I'm not complaning, just need convincing.

I see your exhaust was almost closed. is that a kamado thing? I always thought that was not good. Also, the UDS trick to temp control is to only start a few coals and let the temp rise to where you need it. I think you got too much fire going before you tried to control it. Just my 2 cents, I know nothing about eggs.

in your UDS, if you use charcoal, use RO. kingsford has a smelly problem when cooking low-n-slow. I have about 15 bags left of kingsford. I stock up during the summer sales but I only use it for grillin.

nice vid. I haven't gotten logged back into youtube since they required me to get a google account. I need to get around to it.

topsideup
03-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Really good video series ! The butt looked great and the charcoal usage was impressive. Thanks for sharing you info with us. Now if my local Lowes will only get some of these Kamadoes in !!:-D

gooffy140
03-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Great vids. Hope to see more soon.

I answered your post on my tread.

Gooffy140

JMSetzler
03-04-2012, 11:55 PM
I can afford this one but if I have 3 UDS's configured for hot grillin and "low and slow", what will this thing be doing that I'm not already doing.
I'm not complaning, just need convincing.

Probably nothing significant if you are happy with what you are using.

I see your exhaust was almost closed. is that a kamado thing? I always thought that was not good. Also, the UDS trick to temp control is to only start a few coals and let the temp rise to where you need it. I think you got too much fire going before you tried to control it. Just my 2 cents, I know nothing about eggs.

Using the combination of top and bottom vent control gives you finer control over the airflow into the cooker. I have read stuff about leaving vents all the way open on top too, but IMO most of them don't hold much water unless you never want to clean out your cooker. The concern is of creosote buildup on the inside of the cooker. That's something you can visually monitor and deal with it if needed.

Hozman
03-05-2012, 08:33 AM
I noticed in the video that you placed the cooking grate in after you reached temp. Is this a personal preference or a reason behind doing it. I would just have it in the cooker while it went to temp. Still learning.....

Garyt
03-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Hey Garyt, I've been looking at that deal too. Did yours come with the stainless or powder coated top vent? And what are the tables made of? The one on display near me looks like it might be last years model with the stainless vent.

Thanks.

The side shelves are made of wood and the top vent is powder coated.

JMSetzler
03-05-2012, 09:28 AM
I noticed in the video that you placed the cooking grate in after you reached temp. Is this a personal preference or a reason behind doing it. I would just have it in the cooker while it went to temp. Still learning.....

I don't think it matters much one way or the other.

CrackerJack from KC
03-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Saw one at Lowes, very clever design. (yes I know its a metal egg) The versatility of it will clearly give Weber some competition. With Weber you have to have both a Kettle and a WSM to do the same things this appears to do. I am starting to think these guys might have built a better mousetrap.

Patrickkva
03-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post this series of videos. It's remarkable how shut the vents were during your butt cook. Do you think the open slats in the bottom vent (where the numbers are) are allowing the air to flow in? It certainly looks rock solid on holding the temp though, even if that is the case.
:thumb:

wmarkw
03-05-2012, 10:31 AM
My local Kroger has several of these for $299; looked at them yesterday. Keeping my eye on the price as last year they put a lot of their grills on clearance. Not sure if this will qualify and will probably sell out.

JMSetzler
03-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post this series of videos. It's remarkable how shut the vents were during your butt cook. Do you think the open slats in the bottom vent (where the numbers are) are allowing the air to flow in? It certainly looks rock solid on holding the temp though, even if that is the case.
:thumb:

I'm not sure. At some point I will take the lower air vent off and have a look at it. That part comes pre-assembled and I didn't get to look at it closely during the assembly of the grill because of that. If I decide to seal it up, it should be a rather easy 'fix'.

JS-TX
03-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Saw one at Lowes, very clever design. (yes I know its a metal egg) The versatility of it will clearly give Weber some competition. With Weber you have to have both a Kettle and a WSM to do the same things this appears to do. I am starting to think these guys might have built a better mousetrap.

I'm actually surprised Weber didn't come up with something like this first. I know Inzone started the metal kamado cookers with the keg. I guess Weber don't see themselves in competition with ceramic kamado manufacturers. How I'm sure they see themselves as competitors to Char Griller.

Will work for bbq
03-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the reviews, very nicely done :clap2:

DaChief
03-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the time spent on the reviews. Definately something i will consider.

thoraudio
03-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Checked one out at Lowes for lunch. Looks pretty nice.

One thing I will warn people about, is, don't necessarily judge quality based on the demo assembled at Lowes. The one I looked at had a loose hinge, which felt terrible, but further inspection revealed loose bolts as the culprit. In addition there were some parts installed backwards (the top vent for one). "Feel" may be more the result of the skill and pride (or lack thereof) of the person at the store who assembled it.

ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
03-05-2012, 04:50 PM
I checked one of these out at Lowe's today when I was looking for supplies for my build. It looked decent but the quality didn't quite seem to be there (compared to BGE and Primo). Maybe that is explained by the $299 price tag...which I must say was attractive. I just missed out on a new XL BGE for $400...we occasionally see some being auctioned off at low prices, which makes me forget about the warranty completely! I'll be interested to see how your cook turns out!

powerpig
03-05-2012, 06:23 PM
I wanted to add a couple of things to this review. When you unpack the unit, it smells pretty funky from the packing stuff.

Make sure you give it a good burn to get all the funk off. Also, on mine, the paint turned from a shiny black to a dull black after the burn. No big deal, but it wasn't even all over. May take a couple of more cooks to achieve the uniformivity.

I was going to buy one for my brother for his birthday, but they are all sold out in my area and also in his area, which is northern FL.

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase.

Brian in Maine
03-05-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm not sure. At some point I will take the lower air vent off and have a look at it. That part comes pre-assembled and I didn't get to look at it closely during the assembly of the grill because of that. If I decide to seal it up, it should be a rather easy 'fix'.

I'm wondering if a couple more cooks, and a little gunk build up will seal up some leaks. Even a WSM runs a little hot on the first few cooks.

davej70
03-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the reviews.
After reading how well it worked for you, I went and bought the last my lowe's store had.

El Ropo
03-05-2012, 08:19 PM
For anyone in the NW Austin area, the Lowes @ 620/183 has one demo unit outside. Didn't go inside to check for more stock, cuz I was riding by on my Cannondale, getting a nice spring workout.

JMSetzler
03-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Make sure you give it a good burn to get all the funk off. Also, on mine, the paint turned from a shiny black to a dull black after the burn. No big deal, but it wasn't even all over. May take a couple of more cooks to achieve the uniformivity.

I haven't noticed that on mine but I haven't cranked up the heat really hot yet either.

LoneStarMojo
03-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Such a thorough review. I don't even need one and now you got me thinkin about it...:wacko:

JMSetzler
03-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Such a thorough review. I don't even need one and now you got me thinkin about it...:wacko:

I'm probably gonna do a couple more :) The low and slow cook was good for starters. I need to do a Chicken next at 350-375 degrees. Then maybe a loaf of Artisan Bread... then maybe a Pizza at 600+ degrees....

LoneStarMojo
03-06-2012, 02:38 AM
My local Kroger has several of these for $299; looked at them yesterday. Keeping my eye on the price as last year they put a lot of their grills on clearance. Not sure if this will qualify and will probably sell out.

Was looking at these on Amazon and 1 reviewer claimed to have picked his up for $219, although I forget where he said he got it.

zwylde1
03-06-2012, 07:12 AM
After seeing JM's review on this product, I just may be heading to Lowes shortly and picking on of these bad boys up myself! :thumb:

expatpig
03-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Great job JM... you should be on the CG payroll!

JMSetzler
03-06-2012, 11:35 AM
I talked to the folks at BBQ Guru today and they are working on a Guru fan adapter for this cooker!

Hozman
03-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Well with all the talk I had to stop by a lowes today and take a look for myself. Like some others have said whoever they had put it together did a poor ass job. There was a lot of play in the slide vent intake plate. Not sure if that is normal or lack of being put together as it should be.

I did take interest in some of the comparisons it had on the tag.

40% lighter than other "ceramic grill""
9% larger cooking area than the large "ceramic grill"

I talked to the folks at BBQ Guru today and they are working on a Guru fan adapter for this cooker!

This would be awesome. Any ways I am sold. Be my fathers day present this year. Just little early

JMSetzler
03-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Well with all the talk I had to stop by a lowes today and take a look for myself. Like some others have said whoever they had put it together did a poor ass job. There was a lot of play in the slide vent intake plate. Not sure if that is normal or lack of being put together as it should be.

The sliding air vent comes pre-assembled on the ash pan. It does probably need a little work to seal it up tightly. I'm going to experiment on my next cook with some high heat tape that I have to seal it off around the edges. If that generates better air flow control I will remove the vent and seal it up with some high temp rtv silicone.

BBQ Bros
03-06-2012, 01:24 PM
anybody else not seeing any product info when viewing their page for this thing?

http://www.chargriller.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Patrickkva
03-06-2012, 01:27 PM
anybody else not seeing any product info when viewing their page for this thing?

http://www.chargriller.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

I noticed that yesterday. Very strange to not have any information on this unit on the web site. :confused:

Wampus
03-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Just checked these out. OUT-FARKING-STANDING videos!

Great job John! Thanks so much. I will be getting one of these. I've been wanting a Kamado for years. I've looked at the Big Red Cooker (I think that's the name) and thought it was cheap.

BTW.....I'll be that the minor air leaks you found (not that they're that much of a problem it doesn't seem) seal up with a few good cooks. I had similar air leaks around my UDS lid but no more.

Thanks again!:thumb:

zwylde1
03-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Got one in the back of my car now. Heading home to put it together tonight. Supposed to be some nice weather the next few days so I can do a seasoning one day and a cook the next day. More to follow tomorrow!

Will work for bbq
03-06-2012, 01:54 PM

I noticed that yesterday. Very strange to not have any information on this unit on the web site. :confused:

They have the owners manual (http://ftp.chargriller.com/manuals/6719OM.pdf) available from their website.

expatpig
03-06-2012, 02:09 PM
FYI, They have them @ Lowes in Ontario $348.00

Rys06TBSS
03-06-2012, 02:15 PM
I bought last years model in may or june of lsst year. Its nice still. I did end up burning thru the ashpan gasket within the first few cooks. So i bought a felt bge gasket and burned through a roll of that then finally nomex. That has been good. I dont have any issue with the stainless vent. Also ive been able to cook at around 225. I usually just light half a starter cube and then your ready to go. All in all this is a good cooker. Only issue i have is the wood split on the shelves and the color faded from being uncovered outside.

Hozman
03-06-2012, 02:39 PM
I was looking this morning on their website looking for info and some auto chat box came up asking if I needed help. Told him what I was looking for and the customer support chat guy named "Kevin" said they must be new cause he never heard of it:laugh::tsk: Needless to say he told me to look at the Big Easy

Rys06TBSS
03-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Repost

ButchB
03-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Just got back from Lowes checking one out. Started to go ahead and buy one but i'm gonna wait a few weeks and see how they hold up. Looks to be well made.

Will work for bbq
03-06-2012, 03:08 PM
I was looking this morning on their website looking for info and some auto chat box came up asking if I needed help. Told him what I was looking for and the customer support chat guy named "Kevin" said they must be new cause he never heard of it:laugh::tsk: Needless to say he told me to look at the Big Easy

Sounds like you were at the Char-Broil website and not the Char-Griller site

GrillinFool
03-06-2012, 03:35 PM

They obviously don't spend much on their website. Seriously, it's like the Presiden't secretary's nephew did the thing for class credit for ITT. Of all the major grill builders, they have the worst website by a very long shot. Char-Broil is taking it to a whole other level with their All-Stars made up of bloggers from around the world showing off what they do on Char-Broil grills. The reason I'm so familiar with it is that I am a Char-Broil All-Star (http://live.charbroil.com/articles/category/grillin-fools)and while I own two of them, this is my next grill. The Char-Broil infrared grills are absolutely amazing, but this is my next charcoal grill. Any chance Lowe's will sell two packs of lump next Memorial Day for $10!?!

lola
03-06-2012, 03:50 PM
I have had my Chargriller Kamado for about 7 months now, got it at Gander Mountain and really love it. It is outside under an overhang and is covered when not in use. So far no signs of any rust or paint blister. Chargriller customer support is very elusive on this product, about all they were saying is that it was an exclusive for Menards and had no comment when I asked about the Lowes rumor that obviously was try. Overall a great unit for the price and all I did was put some thin cork gasket material under the frame of the lower air intake to make a better seal where it was screwed onto the side. Took care of the only air leak I could find.
Thanks JM for reinforcing what I have been saying about the Big Red Kamado, even though mine came in black!!!

bel4_20
03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
I have had my Chargriller Kamado for about 7 months now, got it at Gander Mountain and really love it. It is outside under an overhang and is covered when not in use. So far no signs of any rust or paint blister. Chargriller customer support is very elusive on this product, about all they were saying is that it was an exclusive for Menards and had no comment when I asked about the Lowes rumor that obviously was try. Overall a great unit for the price and all I did was put some thin cork gasket material under the frame of the lower air intake to make a better seal where it was screwed onto the side. Took care of the only air leak I could find.
Thanks JM for reinforcing what I have been saying about the Big Red Kamado, even though mine came in black!!!

Do you happen to have any pictures of this you can post? I own the Broil King Keg and it is the best thing ever! im looking at this unit for a second kamodo as i cannot afford another Keg the char griller would be a perfect fit.

pigout sc
03-06-2012, 06:21 PM
You did a super job on the videos. Looks like you are going to make alot of good Q with that smoker. I checked it out today and really like the engineering. I still kind of want an egg but for the price and cast iron grates looks like a bargain.

JMSetzler
03-07-2012, 11:09 AM
I did a little bit of air sealing yesterday on the ash pan and lower air vent to see if I can improve the airflow into this cooker. Upon closer inspection of the air vent after removing it from the pan, I found several sources of probable airflow issues. I used some high temp rtv silicone around the vent and a few other places to see if I can better control it. If those mods are successful, as I believe they will be, I'll post some photos of what I did....

zwylde1
03-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Excellent JM. Picked mine up yesterday. May try and do the seasoning on it tonight. I also did pick up the Weber Charcoal grate and a 16 inch clay saucer for a heat diffuser. The Kamado itself went together very nicely. Took me just about and hour to put it all together. Can not wait to fire it up.

JMSetzler
03-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Excellent JM. Picked mine up yesterday. May try and do the seasoning on it tonight. I also did pick up the Weber Charcoal grate and a 16 inch clay saucer for a heat deflector. The Kamado itself went together very nicely. Took me just about and hour to put it all together. Can not wait to fire it up.

Post some photos!

JS-TX
03-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I did a little bit of air sealing yesterday on the ash pan and lower air vent to see if I can improve the airflow into this cooker. Upon closer inspection of the air vent after removing it from the pan, I found several sources of probable airflow issues. I used some high temp rtv silicone around the vent and a few other places to see if I can better control it. If those mods are successful, as I believe they will be, I'll post some photos of what I did....

Glad you were able to find those areas, sealing them up is going to help quite a bit. A small leak of air around the vent area is killer on a cooker like this. Can't wait to see the pics.

lola
03-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Went over to lowes to pick up the cover for my Chargriller Kamado and they have new advertising signs up around it, and the cover has a Chargriller trademark along with the name they gave their kooker. The salesman told me they are now told to call it the "akorn" cooker. That is also the name on the cover logo and all of the new advertising signs. It's a pretty big acorn, but than again the BGE came from a really big chicken. "Now you know the rest of the story, and good night !!!"

GrillinFool
03-07-2012, 01:45 PM
New job making more money. Check
In need of a Kamado grill. Check
Gave up buying myself anything for Lent :doh:

Will work for bbq
03-07-2012, 05:03 PM
I don't even have one yet and I'm already working on some mods for it. First I was thinking of making an adapter ring to set a WSM water pan above the coals for the heat diffuser. JM do you think there is room for the water pan? Here is a basic drawing.

powerpig
03-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Went over to lowes to pick up the cover for my Chargriller Kamado and they have new advertising signs up around it, and the cover has a Chargriller trademark along with the name they gave their kooker. The salesman told me they are now told to call it the "akorn" cooker. That is also the name on the cover logo and all of the new advertising signs. It's a pretty big acorn, but than again the BGE came from a really big chicken. "Now you know the rest of the story, and good night !!!"

I always thought that the Big Green Egg should have been called the Big Green Avacado. :crazy:

Rys06TBSS
03-07-2012, 05:38 PM
The ash pan is peppered with holes around the welds. At least mine is. I took high temp silicone and sealed all of them up. Did they make the front vent any better or is it still really loose?

bel4_20
03-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Glad you were able to find those areas, sealing them up is going to help quite a bit. A small leak of air around the vent area is killer on a cooker like this. Can't wait to see the pics.

Yes true enough JS-TX having some experience with the kamodo BBQ (my broil king keg) it worried me that you had the bottom vent all the way closed in your video and held that temp for so long JM, which is telling me that air is indeed getting in. I will tell you my Keg is sealed up like fort knox and if i shut my vent down like that it will pretty much begin to snuff out. So look for those holes seal them up and you should be good to go! like I said im will be getting the char griller as my "second" kamodo cant wait to have both going at once!

JS-TX
03-07-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't even have one yet and I'm already working on some mods for it. First I was thinking of making an adapter ring to set a WSM water pan above the coals for the heat diffuser. JM do you think there is room for the water pan? Here is a basic drawing.

I could be wrong but I don't think there is much room for a water pan, not anything deeper than a couple inches anyway. Speaking of water, I wouldn't suggest using water in this type of cooker. It retains moisture pretty well on it's own and you could get some serious steam burns if you are not careful. A clay saucer is perfect for this cooker and it's not pricey either.

bbqchicken
03-07-2012, 08:47 PM
I can't get this kamado out of my mind. Will the price go up or down before summer?

Flat_Rate
03-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Sold the Char-Griller finally, now I have to make a choice between saving and buying this grill or getting a OTG Kettle. Good problem to have.

Nomo4me
03-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Hey JM I wanted to thank you for posting that Beef rub recipe on your blog site. I had a bottle of Montreal steak seasoning hanging around for a year so was glad for a way to try to get some use out of it. Applied a bit before grilling a skirt steak this evening. Wife and I really liked it.

DannyDyson
03-07-2012, 09:31 PM
I went to the post office and picked up a change of address pack and got the lowes 10% coupon out . I looked it over and it said it expired 2/15/12----CRAP !! I took it to lowes and they honered it anyway. So I got my "acorn" for $269.99. Best part is it was already assembled. I have a question though. Do you use regular wood chunks with the lump for smoke just the lump?

Dallas Dan
03-07-2012, 09:37 PM
I took it to lowes and they honered it anyway. So I got my "acorn" for $269.99. Best part is it was already assembled. I have a question though. Do you use regular wook chunks with the lump for smoker just the lump?

:thumb: Good deal! On my egg, I put a wood chunk on the lump about 10 - 15 minutes before I put the meat on.

bbqchicken
03-07-2012, 09:47 PM
I went to the post office and picked up a change of address pack and got the lowes 10% coupon out . I looked it over and it said it expired 2/15/12----CRAP !! I took it to lowes and they honered it anyway. So I got my "acorn" for $269.99. Best part is it was already assembled. I have a question though. Do you use regular wood chunks with the lump for smoke just the lump?

:clap2:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5351087_lowes-off-coupon.html

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Offers+and+Services_425333486_

JMSetzler
03-07-2012, 10:14 PM

I think it might work. I wouldn't make the water pan more than 2" deep or so... maybe 3". When I get mine uncovered again on Friday I'll have a closer look at that. I LOVE your idea and I think it would be awesome. The water pan would make it a lot easier to maintain the lower temps. I'd be interested in one of those for sure.

The WSM water pan is going to be too deep....

Will work for bbq
03-08-2012, 12:28 AM
I could be wrong but I don't think there is much room for a water pan, not anything deeper than a couple inches anyway. Speaking of water, I wouldn't suggest using water in this type of cooker. It retains moisture pretty well on it's own and you could get some serious steam burns if you are not careful. A clay saucer is perfect for this cooker and it's not pricey either.

I think it might work. I wouldn't make the water pan more than 2" deep or so... maybe 3". When I get mine uncovered again on Friday I'll have a closer look at that. I LOVE your idea and I think it would be awesome. The water pan would make it a lot easier to maintain the lower temps. I'd be interested in one of those for sure.

The WSM water pan is going to be too deep....

Thanks that is good to know, I have zero experience with these types of cookers but I plan on picking one up Saturday along with some clay saucers and will make a prototype adapter ring on Monday, will post pictures and see how it goes.

zwylde1
03-08-2012, 05:56 AM
Hey Brethren....did my seasoning burn in on my Char Griller last night. Cleaned off the cast iron grate with soap and water to get rid of the protective gunk that it had on, and then coated it up in oil for seasoning. Half filled the fire box with some RO lump. Lite up a weber starter cube on top of the lump and cover with some more lump losely to get her going. Once going nicely closed the lid and let it start to come up to temp. I was shooting for 400. When it was at 300 I started to close down the vents. Put them both to the 2 mark. When it got to 350 I closed the bottom vent to 1 and let it roll to 400 and then closed the top vent to 1 as well. From then on I barely had to touch any of the vents for the burn in. It held at 400 pretty much for 2 hours very nicely. I did use JM's suggestion of putting a Weber Charcoal grate where the difusser plate for this would go. I also had a 16 inch clay saucer sitting on that grate. After the burn in I closed off both vents to shut it down. At this point no smoke was noted so I do not believe I had any leaks to worry about. In about 45 minutes the temp was down below 300. Then another half hour had it below 250. Roughly 2 hours after clsoing it down I was under 100. I will be curious today when I get home to see how much of the lump was actually burned during this process. Overall very pleased with this on the initial run. Plan on a few cooks over the weekend and will try and post some PRON.

Beerbecue
03-08-2012, 08:59 AM
I got mine two days ago. My seasoning burn went just like Zwiled's. No leaks and easy temp control. I used all natural Stubb's bricks. After 2 hours seasoning I cooked a tri-tip and it came out juicy and delicious. I added a chunk of manzanita for extra flavor. Last night I cooked Chicken breasts on it and tonight,steaks. I think Mr. Setzler had a brilliant idea using the Weber charcoal grate on the diffuser level. I will buy one soon and a clay saucer too for a grease catcher,diffuser, water pan combo.

El Ropo
03-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Heck of a feeding frenzy you started JM.

These are gonna be sold out in a hurry.

Jaskew82
03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Sheesh. I don't need one but now I sure WANT one.

JMSetzler
03-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Heck of a feeding frenzy you started JM.

These are gonna be sold out in a hurry.

I sorta hope they are successful, not just because I own one, but I have had previous experience with a CG gas grill and I was very pleased with it. I also hope all these folks who have bought one recently don't turn out to be unhappy with them.

GrillinFool
03-08-2012, 02:46 PM
I sorta hope they are successful, not just because I own one, but I have had previous experience with a CG gas grill and I was very pleased with it. I also hope all these folks who have bought one recently don't turn out to be unhappy with them.

I have the offset and it's terrible, but I want one of these.

JMSetzler
03-08-2012, 03:09 PM
I have the offset and it's terrible, but I want one of these.

I had the #3001 gas grill and loved it. I loved it dearly all the way up to the point where I gave it to my GF's brother. I didn't rid myself of it because it wasn't a good grill. I just switched back to charcoal and didn't use it anymore. My GF and I both decided that we preferred the flavor of the food cooked over charcoal much better.

I have a chicken on the Kamado right now so we'll have a new video tonight :)

Chef Jim
03-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Been following this thread from the beginning. JM you have done us all a great service with all the work you put into this review.

I went north yesterday and Lowes had no clue what this was, all thought they did look it up and tell me they did not stock it. :crazy:

This afternoon I went south and found the little bugger. So, yes I did pull the trigger. I opted to put it together myself as I noticed that they had not done such a great job doing it.

Oh yea, no coupon but I always get 10% Veterans discount. $269.10 plus tax, how could I go wrong?

And the best part, my wife Sharon (BHSLH) told me to put it on her credit card. :clap2::clap2::clap::clap:

She must want something?

JMSetzler
03-08-2012, 03:48 PM
She must want something?

She want's some of daddy's good cookin' :D

JMSetzler
03-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Today's cook on the Char-Griller Kamado....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1vnAA_b2bk

5.5lb chicken...

Chef Jim
03-08-2012, 07:25 PM
She want's some of daddy's good cookin' :D

Actually when she came home and I told her that I bought it she said I could just give her the cash that I put on her card. She just wanted the points. Go Figure:loco:
Still a good deal!

Flat_Rate
03-08-2012, 08:05 PM
I am out of luck, all the Lowes around me are out of stock until the 15th, my local Home Depot has Performers on sale for $260.

Nomo4me
03-08-2012, 08:11 PM
My experience is a Kamado style and Performer are a great compliment to each other. Like many here, my opinion is that the propane start on the Performer is worth the $ bump.

I am out of luck, all the Lowes around me are out of stock until the 15th, my local Home Depot has Performers on sale for $260.

Ross
03-08-2012, 09:49 PM
I would love for you to post this over in the Egghead Forum. Those guys get so riled up when someone posts anything that compete with their BGE's.

Nomo4me
03-08-2012, 09:53 PM
He did, and they were polite about it.

I would love for you to post this over in the Egghead Forum. Those guys get so riled up when someone posts anything that compete with their BGE's.

JMSetzler
03-08-2012, 09:54 PM

I actually did. I went there when I was shopping for an egg to get some advice. When I decided to get this instead, i started a thread about it called "Forgive me Eggheads for I have Sinned." It met with mixed reactions. Most of them were what I expected.... It'll never be as good as an egg... you get what you pay for... etc... etc... A couple of them asked me more about what I had bought and I posted the video links.

sullysQ
03-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks JM, Great Stuff been looking at BGE too but price was always a kicker. This might just be the ticket.
Did find this owners manual while browsing for info on it

http://ftp.chargriller.com/manuals/6719OM.pdf

OlyQ
03-08-2012, 10:22 PM
I should of never opened this thread . But So Glad I did :becky:

Thanks for all the vid's updates . My Gasser Died a few years ago and I have been using a small kettle but this will be my next grill purchase .. A man needs more cookers .

JS-TX
03-08-2012, 10:27 PM
I actually did. I went there when I was shopping for an egg to get some advice. When I decided to get this instead, i started a thread about it called "Forgive me Eggheads for I have Sinned." It met with mixed reactions. Most of them were what I expected.... It'll never be as good as an egg... you get what you pay for... etc... etc... A couple of them asked me more about what I had bought and I posted the video links.

I used to lurk on that forum a couple years ago and most of those guys were brutal on anything that wasn't a BGE. Lurked earlier today and they seemed to have improved on that some.

Chicken looks great, what kind of pan setup did you use for it. I don't have much luck when it comes to finding smaller accessories like that. Another great vid post. Thanks!

JMSetzler
03-08-2012, 10:38 PM
I used to lurk on that forum a couple years ago and most of those guys were brutal on anything that wasn't a BGE. Lurked earlier today and they seemed to have improved on that some.

Chicken looks great, what kind of pan setup did you use for it. I don't have much luck when it comes to finding smaller accessories like that. Another great vid post. Thanks!

I have nothing against people having a lot of pride in the gear they own and use. I'm the same way.

I used a pizza pan as a heat deflector and then i just put that little roasting pan with the rack on the cast iron grate. I could have done without that but I'm still working on seasoning up my CI grate. I sprayed it down with some cooking oil before i started the cook. That roasting pan and rack are the ones that came with my Oster Toaster Oven :)

Ross
03-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Funny, a couple months back, I found a post on their forum about the Vision Kamado Grill that I purchased from Costco. Most of the comments were negative, that the quality wasn't in the same league as BGE. I piped in that I recently purchased the grill and was very happy with it. Wow, did I make a mistake. What followed was an all out flaming session. I didn't back down and actually thought I did an OK job of putting a couple of their biggest bullies in their place. Eventually a few other regulars came to my defense and the thread calmed down. I noticed since then, they've been a bit more receptive to other's opinions.

R2Egg2Q
03-08-2012, 11:11 PM

The Egghead Forum today is a largely different crowd than it was several months ago. Back in August 2011 BGE corporate took over running the Egghead Forum site and installed the Vanilla forum look that is there today. It was a pretty rough transition and the folks that ran the old forum took the old format over to greeneggers.com. I would say the majority of the long time posters went with them to greeneggers.com.

I'd say the majority of those posting on the Egghead Forum now haven't been there that long and they seem to be more flexible than a lot of the folks who left. Of course there are some folks there still that enjoy stirring the pot just to because they like to but there are folks like that on any forum.

If you posted this on greeneggers.com I think you'd get a worse reaction. There's a lot more diehard Eggers there (and a lot more members in general) so the sheer numbers alone would lead to more negative reactions.

Before I get too far off topic, nice job on the vids JM!

JS-TX
03-08-2012, 11:22 PM
The Egghead Forum today is a largely different crowd than it was several months ago. Back in August 2011 BGE corporate took over running the Egghead Forum site and installed the Vanilla forum look that is there today. It was a pretty rough transition and the folks that ran the old forum took the old format over to greeneggers.com. I would say the majority of the long time posters went with them to greeneggers.com.

I'd say the majority of those posting on the Egghead Forum now haven't been there that long and they seem to be more flexible than a lot of the folks who left. Of course there are some folks there still that enjoy stirring the pot just to because they like to but there are folks like that on any forum.

If you posted this on greeneggers.com I think you'd get a worse reaction. There's a lot more diehard Eggers there (and a lot more members in general) so the sheer numbers alone would lead to more negative reactions.

Before I get too far off topic, nice job on the vids JM!

Ahhh.. no wonder... Well I remember those die hards knew how to cook and were a tight bunch, but I personally found the condescending attitude too much. Then I found this forum and the keg forum and all was better. :clap2:

certified106
03-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Today's cook on the Char-Griller Kamado....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1vnAA_b2bk

5.5lb chicken...

Thanks so much for the awesome review videos and cooking videos on the Chargriller Kamado! I have been watching them and I am looking forward to any future grilling videos you make. So far I have grilled chicken, burgers, and steak on mine but have not been able to do any slow cooks yet. As soon as I get my temperature probes (which is ordered) I will be trying the Boston Butt and the whole chicken, I can't wait until they get here!

sandiegobbq
03-09-2012, 10:54 AM
To everyone in this thread JM gets 10% of all future purchases he has inspired on his videos and posts! :-P

zwylde1
03-09-2012, 10:59 AM
I as well will be cooking on one of these this weekend. I have a Maverick on order that should be at my door today when I get home. Tomorrow I am going to cook up some stromboli and then Sunday a pork butt!

Thanks JM for all the great info on this.

GrillinFool
03-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks JM. I'm definitely getting one of these....

sullysQ
03-09-2012, 02:41 PM
JM your farking famous I googled the chargriller kamado and your vids come up first. Awesome work you've done!!!

PrinceofQ
03-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the great videos JM! After seeing them I went over with my parents to Lowe's and they got me one for an early Birthday present. :becky: I do BBQ Tools and Tech Reviews and have added this to my list to review. I was planning on buying a BGE or Primo, so I think I am going to pass now that I have this one. Thanks again for all the great info and videos!

I think Char-Griller should send you a big fat commission check for all the sales your videos have led to over the past few days:thumb:

Thanks again man!

Jay Prince
BBQ Sauce Reviews

JMSetzler
03-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the great videos JM! After seeing them I went over with my parents to Lowe's and they got me one for an early Birthday present. :becky: I do BBQ Tools and Tech Reviews and have added this to my list to review. I was planning on buying a BGE or Primo, so I think I am going to pass now that I have this one. Thanks again for all the great info and videos!

Where are your reviews located? When you do this one I'd like to link to it from my blog if possible. I created a page just for this cooker in my blog space and I want to add materials like that to it over time...

PrinceofQ
03-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Where are your reviews located? When you do this one I'd like to link to it from my blog if possible. I created a page just for this cooker in my blog space and I want to add materials like that to it over time...

That would be great JM! Here is a link to all my info:

http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/bbq-tools-and-technology-reviews/

I will let you know once I get my review done on it. I have really enjoyed all the videos you have done on it so far!

I also noticed you're less then 2 hours from me. I live in Greenville, SC.

Thanks again man!

Jay

JMSetzler
03-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Just wow. This farkin thing will flat out cook a steak. I set up for direct and indirect cooking on it tonight and roasted some corn on the cob and new red potatoes and then ramped it up to somewhere in the neighborhood of 750° for some steaks. When I finished cooking my steak to what I thought was medium rare, I was worried because it was a little charred on the outside, but when I cut into that thing it was cooked perfectly. I think I cooked it about 3 minutes per side or maybe just a touch less... Video coming around later...

OlyQ
03-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Any plans on cooking a Pizza one this ?

PrinceofQ
03-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Just wow. This farkin thing will flat out cook a steak. I set up for direct and indirect cooking on it tonight and roasted some corn on the cob and new red potatoes and then ramped it up to somewhere in the neighborhood of 750° for some steaks. When I finished cooking my steak to what I thought was medium rare, I was worried because it was a little charred on the outside, but when I cut into that thing it was cooked perfectly. I think I cooked it about 3 minutes per side or maybe just a touch less... Video coming around later...

Nice! Steak sounds so good right now! Looking forward to the video John!:thumb:

Jay

JMSetzler
03-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Any plans on cooking a Pizza one this ?

Absolutely. Pizza is the entire reason I was planning to buy a Kamado to begin with. I had an unfortunate situation about a month ago. My GF invited a couple of her friends up to have some of my famous grilled pizza that she loves so much. When that saturday rolled around, it was 28 degrees outside with wind gusting in excess of 30mph. There was no way I was gonna be able to pull off pizza cooks on the Weber kettle in those conditions. Pizza will be forthcoming, along with video :)

OlyQ
03-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Can't wait , I know once I show the misses your video of the Pizza I will be walking out lowes with one of these :-D

Pizza is what is really gets me interested in these type of cookers , that and grilling steak at 700* That pulled pork and chicken you made looked tasty too!

JMSetzler
03-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Can't wait , I know once I show the misses your video of the Pizza I will be walking out lowes with one of these :-D

Pizza is what is really gets me interested in these type of cookers , that and grilling steak at 700* That pulled pork and chicken you made looked tasty too!

Kamados are super versatile. You can do a lot with them, and my little video series will hopefully highlight most of the basic stuff you can do on them. I still plan to do pizza and artisan bread with videos. I need some additional ideas of stuff to do that are out of the ordinary...

JMSetzler
03-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Tonight's dinner on the Akorn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFC2z1AI76c

Ribeyes, roasted taters and corn on the cob....

PrinceofQ
03-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Tonight's dinner on the Akorn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFC2z1AI76c

Ribeyes, roasted taters and corn on the cob....

Awesome! That's my kind of meal right there!:thumb:

bbqchicken
03-09-2012, 11:50 PM
great video once again. :thumb: What's up with the brand? Char griller, akorn and read somewhere king griller by char griller. :shocked:

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 12:05 AM
great video once again. :thumb: What's up with the brand? Char griller, akorn and read somewhere king griller by char griller. :shocked:

That's a good question... "Akorn" is not a brand as far as I can tell... it's what they want to title this product through Lowes distribution. They want it to be known as 'the akorn' from what I can tell...

pinkelephant
03-10-2012, 12:12 AM

I don't think it matters much one way or the other.

I get the grates over 200F after cleaning them and before adding food to steralize them

Dave99
03-10-2012, 05:22 AM
Hey JM thanks a lot for the really insightful videos of this grill! Great attention to detail.

You made a great series of reviews and to me the only remaining issue is getting down to a 225F low and slow cook. Some folks can hold lower temps than others presumably due to manufacturing tolerances (lets ignore dome thermometer error for now). At some point would you be able to explain all your sealing mods, how you load the pit, and then demo another 225F low and slow cook?

Dude - thanks again for posting such methodical and informative reviews!

accuseal
03-10-2012, 05:50 AM
Nice video. I'm hungry! Did u control temp strictly by air flow?

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

RW
03-10-2012, 09:56 AM
JM, when is the first edition of your Akorn Cookbook coming out?

Funky D
03-10-2012, 10:31 AM
JM, hope you're getting kickbacks... this officially convinced me to go down to Lowe's and pick one up over the WSM. Of course, egg would be fantastic, but at 1/3 the price, this is impossible to pass up.

Echoing the above, I'd like to see a 225 sustained. Maybe use some good ol cheap kingsford charcoal, and see if that helps tame the beast? You're really ratcheting the airflow to almost nothing, and it's still looking like you can't get it down there.

Awesome stuff man. Keep those videos comin!

sandiegobbq
03-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Try cooking a duck one day on that Kamado.

darita
03-10-2012, 10:41 AM
+1 on the low and slow. If it can do that easily, it's a winner.

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 11:12 AM
I'll try to do 225° sometime soon. I typically don't cook that low though. I usually work in the 250° range. After playing with it so far, I don't doubt that I can make it hold 225°. On that initial cook I just lit up a little too much lump to get started. I have also sealed up the air vent a bit and between those two I believe I could get it there.

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 11:15 AM
JM, hope you're getting kickbacks... this officially convinced me to go down to Lowe's and pick one up over the WSM. Of course, egg would be fantastic, but at 1/3 the price, this is impossible to pass up.

Echoing the above, I'd like to see a 225 sustained. Maybe use some good ol cheap kingsford charcoal, and see if that helps tame the beast? You're really ratcheting the airflow to almost nothing, and it's still looking like you can't get it down there.

Awesome stuff man. Keep those videos comin!

Have you cooked on it yet? I'm working on a 'list' of people who own this Kamado to see if there is enough interest for a 'fan club' of sorts... :)

Patrick C.
03-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Sorry if I missed it, but what size is the grate? CharGriller's site doesn't like my ipad.

sandiegobbq
03-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Sorry if I missed it, but what size is the grate? CharGriller's site doesn't like my ipad.

I believe it is a 19.5" diameter.

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Today, I'm hopefully gonna cook a pizza. I'm also going to do the 225° test since I'm getting a lot of questions about cooking at that magic number. The 225 test video will also show most of the mods I did to the air intake and ash pan with some RTV Silicone to help seal up the air leaks.

certified106
03-10-2012, 03:50 PM
I have 2 5.5 lb chickens on right now and 5 people showing up at my house in 1 hour. Man I am sweating it right now seeing how this is the first time I have cooked whole chickens on the cooker. I just went back and reviewed your vids over and over and I am holding steady at 380 so I here is to hoping they turn out well! Thanks so much for all the videos and help you have provided! :clap2:

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 04:17 PM
The 225° isn't going very well. I got up to 250 and got it settled in right there. I have received multiple questions on the videos and via email regarding being able to park this cooker at the magic 225° mark and it's proving to be difficult.

certified106
03-10-2012, 04:29 PM
The 225° isn't going very well. I got up to 250 and got it settled in right there. I have received multiple questions on the videos and via email regarding being able to park this cooker at the magic 225° mark and it's proving to be difficult.

How fast did you bring it up to temp? Do you think it is possible with more practice and what kind of mods if any did you do to it? How did you start the smoker, Minion method or fire starter in the cooker? This news is kind of a bummer :eusa_clap

sandiegobbq
03-10-2012, 04:31 PM
How fast did you bring it up to temp? Do you think it is possible with more practice and what kind of mods if any did you do to it? How did you start the smoker, Minion method or fire starter in the cooker? This news is kind of a bummer :eusa_clap

Honestly why are you cooking at 225?

250 would not be much of a difference at all?

I think most people nowadays are cooking at 250 and higher.

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Honestly why are you cooking at 225?

250 would not be much of a difference at all?

I think most people nowadays are cooking at 250 and higher.

I don't cook at 225 anymore but I have gotten a lot of questions about being able to do that after my Boston Butt cook at 270ish. I got it stabilized around 250 but not much lower than that. For a lot of folks, 225 is the holy grail of BBQ so they are probably going to have to spend $800+ to have that on a Kamado rather than the $300 for this one. As far as low and slow is concerned, I have been cooking for the last several months between 250 and 275 with no noticeable difference in results other than a slightly shorter cook time, which is really insignificant as well at those temps.

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 04:39 PM

I brought it up slowly using a minion method startup. I also probably made one mistake in the setup which will be shown in the video. I set my pizza stone on the cast iron grate and then set my temp probe on the pizza stone. I wasn't thinking that the pizza stone would take longer to come to temp than the rest of the pit, so that probably cause me to not slow down the air flow soon enough. I'm not gonna repeat this test though because it's irrelevant to me.

JS-TX
03-10-2012, 06:03 PM
I brought it up slowly using a minion method startup. I also probably made one mistake in the setup which will be shown in the video. I set my pizza stone on the cast iron grate and then set my temp probe on the pizza stone. I wasn't thinking that the pizza stone would take longer to come to temp than the rest of the pit, so that probably cause me to not slow down the air flow soon enough. I'm not gonna repeat this test though because it's irrelevant to me.

Each cooker is different, I wouldn't be surprised if another identical cooker could zero in on 225*. But yea, there's nothing magical about 225*, too bad so many books and other references use this # w/out explaining that it's ok go higher like 250-275*.

KingRanch450
03-10-2012, 06:05 PM
JM....I've been wanting an egg type cooker but didn't want to spend the big bucks for a BGE since I just bought a Gator. Your recommendation and videos for the Akorn was very appreciated. With all that being said, I went to my local Lowes today and bought the Akorn, put it together and seasoned it this evening.

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Each cooker is different, I wouldn't be surprised if another identical cooker could zero in on 225*. But yea, there's nothing magical about 225*, too bad so many books and other references use this # w/out explaining that it's ok go higher like 250-275*.

In all fairness though, if I'm going to 'review' a product like this I need to include that information as my results show. I still think it could be made to cook at 225 by various methods, one of which would be to put a water pan underneath the grate on my diffuser rack.

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 06:07 PM
jm....i've been wanting an egg type cooker but didn't want to spend the big bucks for a bge since i just bought a gator. Your recommendation and videos for the akorn was very appreciated. With all that being said, i went to my local lowes today and bought the akorn, put it together and seasoned it this evening.

awesome! :)

Funky D
03-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Have you tried a water pan on the diffuser? That'll help keep temps stable, and absorb some of that powerful heat.

Got mine today, assembled, and am seasoning right now. Ribs tomorrow!

LeThompson
03-10-2012, 06:23 PM
This is a great thread and great reviews Jim. You have me convinced. The wife is scared of charcaol, she likes propane becasuse of the supposed chemicals in charcoal.
I almost have her convinced and your videos are the reason why I am going to continue to work until I get to pickup this up. Hopefully this week. Thanks and keeps the videos coming

KingRanch450
03-10-2012, 06:23 PM
JM.....I'm trying to find the digital thermometer you used in the videos. I found the Maverick Redi Check but it was only a single probe. Can you tell me the model number? Thanks.

sandiegobbq
03-10-2012, 06:37 PM
JM.....I'm trying to find the digital thermometer you used in the videos. I found the Maverick Redi Check but it was only a single probe. Can you tell me the model number? Thanks.

I think it is this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Industries-RediChek-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B0000DIU49

KingRanch450
03-10-2012, 06:43 PM
I think it is this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Industries-RediChek-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B0000DIU49

Thank u sir.....order placed.

bel4_20
03-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Have you tried a water pan on the diffuser? That'll help keep temps stable, and absorb some of that powerful heat.

Got mine today, assembled, and am seasoning right now. Ribs tomorrow!

If this is anything like the broil king keg (which it probably is) DO NOT USE WATER in the pan fill it with play sand and cover with foil if you feel the need to use water but it will only hinder the cook as the steam from the water snuffs the fire i know by experience. on the other hand there is no need for liquid in these style cookers want more moister? add more meat!

pinkelephant
03-10-2012, 06:48 PM
I just saw this at my local Menards for $279 with a $30 mail in rebate making it $249. sale ends 3/11. it had wooden shelves.

Garyt
03-10-2012, 07:09 PM
I just saw this at my local Menards for $279 with a $30 mail in rebate making it $249. sale ends 3/11. it had wooden shelves.

That is the deal I got, seasoned it today, closed the vents and the lump turned off, a couple hours later fired it back up and did 2 T bones. This thing is beyond what I thought it would be. I am very happy with it. Except for my Lang this is the only cooker I can see that would use

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Thank u sir.....order placed.

That's not the one I use. Mine is the ET-85. The one you ordered should be fine though.

pinkelephant
03-10-2012, 07:27 PM
That is the deal I got, seasoned it today, closed the vents and the lump turned off, a couple hours later fired it back up and did 2 T bones. This thing is beyond what I thought it would be. I am very happy with it. Except for my Lang this is the only cooker I can see that would use
It's actually sturdier than I was expecting. CG has a terrible rep for cheap paint but they used a better coating on this. Being a CG, I would keep it well away from water but it does look like something well worth $250

Will work for bbq
03-10-2012, 07:34 PM
My Ripe Avocado is about 3 hours into its first burn. :thumb:

Mine had some real QC issues out of the box (we'll see how customer support responds) but the overall design and build is quite good, they did however miss the bus on the bottom vent. Overall I love it, thanks JM for starting this thread and the videos.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/Q-TADO/avocado2.jpg

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Paul, what sort of issues did you have if you don't mind me asking?

Ken V
03-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks JM! Just got mine home and put together in the living room,lol. Wife loves it there. Going to season it tomorrow while my stumps is putting out 12 chickens and 2 butts.

Funky D
03-10-2012, 07:57 PM
If this is anything like the broil king keg (which it probably is) DO NOT USE WATER in the pan fill it with play sand and cover with foil if you feel the need to use water but it will only hinder the cook as the steam from the water snuffs the fire i know by experience. on the other hand there is no need for liquid in these style cookers want more moister? add more meat!

Any more info on this? Dozens of charcoal cookers and kamados use water... is there something special about this one?

Maybe the flow keeps too much moisture?

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Tonight's pizza cook was so hot that it completely de-seasoned my cast iron grate. I'm not sure if I could get it seasoned well enough to withstand those temps. If I elevated the pizza stone an inch or two above the grate, it might help that but I doubt it.

Will work for bbq
03-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Paul, what sort of issues did you have if you don't mind me asking?

No problem I have pics here http://s1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/Q-TADO/Acorn/

Out of the box the finish had various scuffs and scratches, I figured care was not taken when packed because this was a brand new unopened box.

The first problem with assembly was that the lower hinge bracket was not formed correctly and would not line up with the nutserts (I had to use a C clamp to finish forming the bracket which also made the flanges match the contour of the shell better).

When I went to put on the shelves I noticed the brackets that were pre-attached to the shell were done so with a philips screw driver and they stripped the screw heads. Having been in manufacturing for over 20 years one thing that really burns my arse besides about a 3 1/2 foot flame is damage done to a new product during assembly. The scuffs I mentioned earlier were probably done during assembly and not packing. I would rather do 100% of the assembly myself than to deal with poor workmanship.

The bottom vent is where they really missed the bus, if you look inside the vent in the area that is not sealed off there is a seam that leaks air (easy fix with rtv). The embossed numbers have slots cut below them and the center hole is counter sunk. Well you cant counter sink material that thin without deforming it which creates a standoff so all those slots are air leaks which can be fixed with a gasket. The embossed numbers create another problem with the damper having to be raised in the center which is another air leak. I was at Costco and was looking at the medium BGE they had and they really get the bottom vent (no embossed numbers, slots or steps) the damper
is tight inside the side rails of the vents mounting plate making it air tight.

That said I glad I bought the Acorn over the Costco BGE and it has nothing to do with warranty. I have an idea for an adapter for the guru pics to follow.

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 08:54 PM
No problem I have pics here http://s1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/Q-TADO/Acorn/

That sux. That's definitely resulting from one or more employees at Char-Griller who are not interested in keeping a customer happy. Let us know what they tell you on that.

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Couple more notes on the NEGATIVE side I have discovered so far:

A couple people here mentioned the outside of their cookers graying after use. I didn't notice any of that until today. I believe the bottom ash pan is not as insulated as the rest of the smoker body and dome. I noticed some smoke coming from somewhere during my high heat pizza cook tonight and I looked at the bottom and noticed that some of the paint on the bottom of the ash pan may have been smoking. I'll have to take the pan off and look at it closer a little later. I think the smoke coming up around the sides of the smoker from the bottom may have cause a little graying of the surface. A damp cloth seems to have cleaned it up.

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Birthday Pizza on the CG Kamado :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqIOXc37Ktg

bbqchicken
03-10-2012, 11:44 PM
great pizza JM :clap2: was it your birthday?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xgGzwK8OS4U/Td6rD4TESCI/AAAAAAAACGw/6IeNUGpIw4M/s1600/pyzamperfectcake.jpg

JMSetzler
03-11-2012, 12:31 AM
The 225° Test - Failure but I still think it's possible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvZ05bsnxLM

RW
03-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Wonderfully informative series of videos, JM. Thanks so much for your hard work.
With all of your cooks, have you gotten a sense for how the Akorn performs in the wind?
Thanks.

Still Smokin
03-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Happy Birthday JM and thanks for all of the videos, very much appreciated

Beerbecue
03-11-2012, 10:49 AM
JM, When you were holding at 150ish, what did the Kamado's stock temp guage read? I cooked 2 racks of spareribs on mine yesterday and was able to hold at ~ 275 according to the guage and they came out perfect.

Funky D
03-11-2012, 10:50 AM
I'll be aiming for 225 today JM, I'll letcha know how it goes.

For the record, your timings would have been helpful at the beginning of the video.... how long before you closed the vents down from full, how long before you ratcheted it down the 2nd time.

Kamados are like freight trains for heat. If too much lump got burning early, it might have gotten you past the 225 sweet spot. No idea, just wondering what else to try, besides a water pan to help curb it, although someone has mentioned that on this cooker, that might just steep out the fire.

Wish me luck, and keep those mods comin!

JMSetzler
03-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Wonderfully informative series of videos, JM. Thanks so much for your hard work.
With all of your cooks, have you gotten a sense for how the Akorn performs in the wind?
Thanks.

Not really.. it hasn't been too windy here since I got it.

JMSetzler
03-11-2012, 11:02 AM
JM, When you were holding at 150ish, what did the Kamado's stock temp guage read? I cooked 2 racks of spareribs on mine yesterday and was able to hold at ~ 275 according to the guage and they came out perfect.

When I was holding at 250, my gage was reading about 210.

JMSetzler
03-11-2012, 11:18 AM
I'll be aiming for 225 today JM, I'll letcha know how it goes.

For the record, your timings would have been helpful at the beginning of the video.... how long before you closed the vents down from full, how long before you ratcheted it down the 2nd time.

Kamados are like freight trains for heat. If too much lump got burning early, it might have gotten you past the 225 sweet spot. No idea, just wondering what else to try, besides a water pan to help curb it, although someone has mentioned that on this cooker, that might just steep out the fire.

Wish me luck, and keep those mods comin!

In reality, the air intake is still the issue here. I need to make one more modification to that in order to correct the problem completely. The slider portion of the vent needs to come back off and I need to install some high temp felt gasket material around the outer edges of it to seal it up nicely inside the slider mechanism. Times aren't really relevant. Without complete control of the air intake it isn't gonna work as perfectly as something like a BGE or a UDS. I will eventually make this other modification. This should allow complete control of the temps from the bottom vent and allow the top air vent to stay open a little more during the cook. Having to close the top vent down so far while the bottom vent is closed tells me that the top vent is creating enough draft at the bottom to keep the fire stoked and air is still getting in somewhere. With the bottom vent completely close, I can open the top vent partially and still create a temperature rise in the cooker. If the final mod doesn't solve the problem, that will mean that air is getting in from the gasket on the ash pan.