PDA

View Full Version : Pressure tank smokers

outlaw1929
03-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Im new to this forum but am in the process of building a water pressure tank smoker, anyone who's done this feel free to post pics of yours, allso can anyone inform me of a good pit paint that holds up to temps, preferably a paint i can shoot out of an hvlp gun. thanks guys and happy Q-in.

BigBobBQ
03-03-2012, 12:21 AM
I would be kind of careful most water pressure tanks are made of galvanized metal and when heated give of some nasty fumes and can make you real sick. See the following article..

http://www.arador.com/articles/galv.html

Teleking
03-03-2012, 07:15 AM
I would be kind of careful most water pressure tanks are made of galvanized metal and when heated give of some nasty fumes and can make you real sick. See the following article..

http://www.arador.com/articles/galv.html

Actually all the ones I have seen are not galvanized. Including the one I used. Search for bride of Franken smoker.

outlaw1929
03-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Thanks guys, that sucks about the gavinized, i have two real nice galvi tanks that i was planning to use, it appears that the galvinizing is only on the outsize of the tank and i would asume that considering these tanks are for drinking water, allso i wanted to let you guys know i would only be using them for the food chamber, im making my fireboxes out of quarter plate steel whatcha guys think, great feedback so far thanks again.

outlaw1929
03-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Hey guys I allso was wondering if you know of anywhere to get used propane tanks, i live in california and i cant seem to find anyone selling them, is it ilegal out here?

NBBD
03-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Hey guys I allso was wondering if you know of anywhere to get used propane tanks, i live in california and i cant seem to find anyone selling them, is it ilegal out here?

.....Seems like everything illegal in California?

Sorry- I do not know the answer but good luck!

outlaw1929
03-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Ya everything fun, at least we can still shoot **** and bbq, just gotta figure out how to make it happen.

BigBobBQ
03-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Actually all the ones I have seen are not galvanized. Including the one I used. Search for bride of Franken smoker. well that's why I didn't say all of them but here in the south almost every water pressure tank you see sitting by the well is a big ole silver galvanized tank. I have also seen some that were not galvanized and like the one you used it was a smaller pre-presurized tank. Did it have a bladder in it when you opened it up. Down here they are starting to swap to those tanks.

Pappy
03-04-2012, 07:08 AM
My son has a air pressure tank. It had silver on the outside. Some kind of paint. It would barely burm off. A lot of it stayed on after the burn out. The inside was abre metal.

jestridge
03-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Most of the time those water pressure tanks have a lot of rust inside not worth it find yourself . a air pressure tank from an old air compressor. If you find a propane tank be careful when you cut it.

outlaw1929
03-04-2012, 09:28 AM
The pressure tank that ive started with on the project i have going now is painted, the inside did have a bladder in it but was easy to remove, the issue im seeing so far is that when the door is cut the metal looses its shape, i cambated that with doing a 1"x1/8" steel picture frame on the door that i prebent to the contuor of the tank, the inside was actually super clean, ill take some pics next time i make it to my shop. Im gunna finish this smoker but personally i feel the pressure tank is a little thin, it is deffonitly better than your cheapy char broil smoker but the metal could be a bit thicker, still on the hunt for a compressor tank.