PDA

View Full Version : How many briskets do I need to make?

nrok2118
03-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Alright, so im trying to earn some extra $$$ since work is slow and Im not getting overtime. Im gonna sell some Q by the pound. I figured everyone would want pulled pork but pre-orders are coming in strong for brisket. I figure ill just be using sliced flat meat to sell, and keep the point meat for myself :heh:

My question is, roughly how much flat meat does a cooked packer yield? Right now Im looking at 8 pounds of cooked brisket. Think I can do that with 2 good sized packers, or should I opt for a third? Since money is the driving concern, and brisket isnt cheap like butts, I dont wanna spend the extra $40 on a brisket I dont need.

Red Valley BBQ
03-02-2012, 05:11 PM
You can figure a brisket flat to yield about 65% of its original weight. So of you start with a 10 pound flat, you will get about 6.5 pounds after cooking.

To get the 8 pounds you need, you will have to cook approximately 12.5 pounds.

FYI, the point will yield about 55% of original weight.

nrok2118
03-02-2012, 05:40 PM
You can figure a brisket flat to yield about 65% of its original weight. So of you start with a 10 pound flat, you will get about 6.5 pounds after cooking.

To get the 8 pounds you need, you will have to cook approximately 12.5 pounds.

FYI, the point will yield about 55% of original weight.

So typically what percentage of untrimmed packer weight is flat?

Red Valley BBQ
03-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Sorry, I missed the "cooked packer" in your original post.

I guess that would depend on how an individual butcher would cut the brisket off the cow. If I had to guess, I would say it's in the 60% flat - 40% point range. But it could be closer to 55%-45%. The only way to know for sure (and I'm sure it will be slightly different from packer to packer) is to seperate the point and flat from a cooked brisket and weigh them. I know this isn't much help, but if you cook the extra brisket and don't need it, at least you will eat good for a few days.

JS-TX
03-04-2012, 02:09 AM
It's really hard to calculate, until you experiment a little. Brisket can have so much fat. You may want to reconsider and offer chopped brisket (chopped up point w/some sauce). It would make more sense from a cost/earnings prospective. Not only that but it's good stuff!:thumb:

BigBellyBBQ
03-04-2012, 10:47 AM
yes, you must sell it all! Your freezer will have soooo much jamed in..you can sell slices from the point IF it is trimmed of all the fat, but it is best to cube up and sell as burnt ends...nice slices in it own juice and then cubed with a little sauce..and put back in to carmelize..it will sell great!