PDA

View Full Version : Walk in cooler conversion to smokehouse?!!?

PinkbootfarmQ
03-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Ok... I need some help, we moved in to a house a few years ago that has an old walk in cooler, we have been thinking about getting it fixed up to use for my BBQ catering business. We had some one look at it and they think we need a new compressor... And I need a new smoker. I have been using the one we had made for our wedding 10 yeas ago, and it's just not keeping up with all I have to do these days. So my thought was, and here's where I need help, can I just convert the walk in to a smoke house? Put racks in there, and an outside fire box, maybe a fan to puch the smoke around.... It's already awesomely insulated... I've seen old freezers, fridges converted, this is just a little bigger, right? I'm looking at a fully booked summer, 2 weekends unbooked so far, and on the week days I'm looking to do a Q truck, so I'll be in need of some serious smoke space.
Any thoughts would be awesome
Thanks

bbqbull
03-02-2012, 05:33 PM
This is Cowgirls smokehouse that she made herself. Here is the link to her blog

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/01/building-cold-smoker-smokehouse.html

captndan
03-04-2012, 06:42 AM
I made one for a small sausage company. It was very simple. A 6" vent on all 4 sides depending on which way the wind was blowing. 4" stove pipe with damper. High and low thermometers. A big cast iron skillet on bricks and a single round propane burner underneath. Racks were wood dowels. Temp was controlled mannually at the tank regulator..They could smoke 200# of sausage at a time. KISS

Garyclaw
03-04-2012, 07:06 AM
I don't know. It'd be so cool to have a walk-in cooler.

I think I'd repair it and make a smokehouse like Cowgirls.

just my 2 cents.

jestridge
03-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Are you going to hot or cold smoke? It be ok for a cold smoker .but not worth the trouble for a hot smoker.