PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding between BGE and Kamado Joe

jweinhart
03-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Hey guys! Long time reader, first time poster! About a year ago, I bought an 18.5" WSM with the desire to learn to create great BBQ. I've had a lot of fun and learned a lot (especially thanks to these forums), and recently I've decided to look into purchasing a Kamado grill. Doing a bit of research (and looking at what dealers are offering here locally in northern GA), I'm stuck in a tossup between the BGE and the Kamado Joe ClassicJoe (both in Large).

From what I can tell, both grills are comparable. With BGE, you're getting the pedigree, community, and most of all their excellent customer service. With Kamado Joe, I'm saving a decent amount of money and getting the stand and tables in the base price. I was wondering if there were owners on either side of the fence that could help push me in one direction or the other.

Right now, I have a BGE dealer offering me a package deal including the Large BGE, Nest, and Plate Setter for $945. The KJ dealer is offering The KJ itself (which comes with the "nest" and tables), a 20lb bag of KJ Lump Charcoal, and 4 Ribeyes (they're also a butcher shop) for $800.

With the KJ, out the door, I'd really be at $850, as I need to buy their version of the plate setter to do indirect. That still leaves me $100 less than the BGE, and I get the side tables. Is the BGE brand, build quality, and warranty worth the extra $200 (assuming adding the side tables)?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

eggzlot
03-02-2012, 08:40 AM
In full disclosure I am an Egg owner.

But one deciding factor could be warranty - what is it on the KJ? The Egg is lifetime warranty, so if anything breaks, they will replace it. You live less than 1 hour away from the "mothership" aka the BGE Headquarters, so it should be really easy for you to get quick support if you need new parts.

For me, if you are looking at a purchase that will last many many years, I'd save up for the extra $200. I wouldnt look at getting 4 ribeyes or a bag of lump to make a decision between any cooker for that matter! You can get lump for less than $1 a pound at Wal Mart, Restaurant Depot, etc.

I am going on 18 months of egg ownership without the side shelves because one day I'll build a nice table for the egg. I just bring out a small folding table if I need some table space. And any small folding table will be cheaper and offer more room than the side shelves for the egg (or KJ).

Lastly, you can just get the Egg + Nest from the dealer and then look at offerings at the ceramicgrillstore.com to get a spider or woo + a stone to use instead of a plate setter, gives you more options down the line and is the same price if not maybe a few dollars cheaper.

ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
03-02-2012, 09:19 AM
I've only seen the BGEs in action..saw a KJ at a comp but didn't have a chance to see how the owner liked it..It seems like I see 20 BGEs to every KJ...I'd assume there's a reason other than superb marketing. I'd say BGE.

TTNuge
03-02-2012, 09:31 AM
I've never owned either but when the price difference is that close on a large investment like that I would spend the extra to get the BGE. I believe the hype and marketing has a lot to do with their market share being as large as it is but there is no denying that they put out a great product and have great customer service. I too would also ignore the fact that the KJ guy is throwing in a bag of charcoal and some steaks, those items will be gone long before anything else so they must not be a factor in the decision. Sometimes the BGE enthusiasm of the fanboys can be a little off putting to me but regardless of that I would still go for the BGE.

CrackerJack from KC
03-02-2012, 09:33 AM
I was looking for a Kamado Joe when I fell into a deal on a XL BGE.

The stainless is really nice on the Kamado Joe. I really think that they are pretty much the same. I think Kamado Joe is trying to build a better mouse trap then the BGE and that is not a bad thing. I aslo like the Red and the Black colors as well, they look really sharp.

Are you gonna be in MN anytime soon.

http://brainerd.craigslist.org/hsh/2833305802.html (http://brainerd.craigslist.org/hsh/2833305802.html)

Bottom line, I would get the cheaper one because both are very very good.

mtbchip
03-02-2012, 09:45 AM
It's a choice between a Caddie and a Lincoln. Toss a coin and go for it!

Baby Back Maniac
03-02-2012, 09:59 AM
I really like the way the KJ looks and I like that they have made a lot of common sense improvements on the egg. There is something refreshing about working with younger company's and experiencing the enthusiasm that entrepreneurs feel.

To me, the 20 year warranty on KJ vs lifetime on the egg would not influence my decision. I figure if anything is going to break, it's probably going to break in the first 20 years. However, what would concern me is that KJ just won't be around for 20 years from now. I've seen so many companies in this field come and go despite the fact that they have a much "better mousetrap." Some of them shut down their doors inexplicably (see EZ-cue) and some of them get bought out by bigger companies who may or may not honor the warranty offered by the previous owner. Sometimes, the owners just wake up one day and decide they are done because they found something else to focus on. I'm not saying this is the case with KJ, I'm just saying I have seen this sorta thing happen in general. Having said that, just because BGE has been around a long time does not mean they will be around for ever as well it's just the long track record leads one to believe they are more likely to be. It's a tough call but the great thing about it is your choice is between too great options. So even if you make the wrong decision, it's going to be a great decision.

I think my next cooker will be decided by the most important metric of all. The "What color do you like, dear?" metric. lol.

JS-TX
03-02-2012, 10:13 AM
If you are going ceramic and not metal kamado type grills I'd go with the BGE in this case since they are a local company for you. I do like the red color and SS that KJ has though. Personally if I was going ceramic I'd go for the Primo XL oval, that thing is nice!

Nomo4me
03-02-2012, 10:15 AM
If I had a slew of buddies who owned BGE brand it would be an easy decision to join the club. My decision would also be made much easier if one of the dealers seemed way more into ceramic cooking than the other; staging demo cooks, having parts on hand, enthusiasm for recipes etc.

My decision was made because I had placed $500 down on a pellet cooker then decided I'd rather have a ceramic and the dealer was willing to make me a very good deal on a KJ.

The High-que grates don't fit it but other than that I've been completely happy with it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/nomo4me/IMG_4431.jpg

f308gt4
03-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I think you can't go wrong either way.

I am a BGE owner personally.

I like the KJ, and love the color (definately prefer red over green). For me, however, the decision came down to there was a BGE dealer close by, and it was over an hour to the nearest KJ dealer.

The warranty is better with BGE, but seriously, with the economy the way it is, who knows what company will be around 10 or 20 years from now. My understanding is that BGE parts will fit the KJ (and vice versa), so if you need a new firebox, firering, grate, etc. should be able to purchase one from one of the competing manufacturers.

Good Luck! Either way, you win.

On edit: FWIW, I went without a nest and just built a table for my BGE. Not that hard to do, and much more stable.

jweinhart
03-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Things ended up working out really well! I figured I should perform some due diligence and contact a few more dealers in the area. A local hardware store just happened to be having a weekend deal on BGE's, and I ended up buying a Large BGE, the composite larger side tables, the nest, plate setter, 20lb bag of bge charcoal, grate and ash tools, etc for $1000. I really felt that was a great price, and the thing that resonated with me from all of your posts was my proximity to BGE in general.

Thanks again - looking forward to posting some pictures once I get everything put together!

Nomo4me
03-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Sounds like a good decision and a great price.

I dissuaded a guy eyeballing the $597 Medium in Costco today. Didn't take much, just told him any serious bbq'er would need the space and accessories of the large. He'd never seen a ceramic before, but will be hitting up the local dealers to check them out.

fingerlickin'
03-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Congrats on the new egg, you're gonna love it! Welcome to the club!

Sent using tapatalk

FastEddieM
03-03-2012, 08:58 AM
If you can wait a few months there is an eggfest in North Georgia...fantastic demo prices.

http://www.mountainegg.com/DemoEgg.php

I bought an egg in May and have loved it!

dechols
03-04-2012, 08:04 AM
I was in the same boat a few months ago. BGE, KJ or Primo???? Ruled out Primo ONLY because of price, and was ready to pull the trigger on a KJ when a DEAR friend gave me a large BGE!!
Both BGE, and KJ are right in your back yard.
Honestly, I think you will be very happy, and not regret your decision!!!!
Enjoy

GreenDrake
03-04-2012, 08:13 AM
I have had the KJ since they came out and I absolutely love it. When people ask me about them I simply tell them the food will taste the same, the only differences are minor cosmetics and saving a couple hundred bucks. The KJ is thicker, has powdercoated stainless steel, not painted, comes fully assembled, has a bigger thermo, has finished bamboo hardwood not stain susceptible cypress and comes with cart and shelves.

KJ is also coming out with synthetic shelves and is now shipping the BigJoe, comparable to the BGE XL but even bigger. I cannot find any fault at all in a KJ and have competed with it, used it weekly at home and traveled with it. The heat deflector is much better than the BGE due to the zone it creates with a quarter inch gap on the outside, as opposed to the three gap system the BGE uses. Both are excellent grills and will last a lifetime. You can't go wrong with either but why not save a few bucks.