PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer question

KiltedKurmudgeon
03-01-2012, 11:30 PM
I really need a decent wireless thermometer. I picked up a used Mav ET-73 from eBay for about ten bucks. After the antenna mod (easy for someone who has worked with electronics and R/C for twenty-some years) the range improved, but I still can't have anything, including a light breeze, between Tx and Rx. Soooo....

I've heard good stuff about the ET-732 and might give it a shot. I'm really only concerned about the chamber temp though. I have a bunch of thermometers to check meat temps, and really don't need something draining batteries while telling me that the critter I put in an hour ago isn't done yet.

Can anyone recommend a single-channel remote thermometer that is built around sending real numbers about chamber temps instead of meat temp? Maybe just a remote thermometer that works well but isn't necessarily designed for cooking? I've found a few for food-service and labs, but they're expensive. Really expensive. I'm about to start working on an Android app and a Wifi sender to address this, but I know it will be a while before it's done. It will be a while before I start for that matter.

Thanks All.

fingerlickin'
03-03-2012, 12:57 AM
I say just get the 732, i have a drawer full of wireless thermos and really only use the 732. It's nice to have the meat and pit temp all right there in one unit. The range is also outstanding.

Sent using tapatalk

TomB
03-03-2012, 04:23 AM
I love my 732. I bought it for meat temp but now appreciate the pit temp, as well.

KiltedKurmudgeon
03-03-2012, 10:01 PM
I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on this one:
http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/NEW-Maverick-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer-ET-732-ET-732.htm

Free shipping plus the Bretheren discount sounds like a good deal to me...unless someone knows of a better price elsewhere.

TomB
03-04-2012, 04:33 AM
Looks like a good price. And from a brethren, even better!

Dave S
03-04-2012, 04:46 AM
I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on this one:
http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/NEW-Maverick-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer-ET-732-ET-732.htm

Free shipping plus the Bretheren discount sounds like a good deal to me...unless someone knows of a better price elsewhere.

Good Choice. I purchased my ET732 from them and then another one for my brother. Not to mention Steve is pals with Darren "Frommaverick".

Dragonfly
03-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Perfect, you will not regret the purchase. I love my 732, and gave my next door neighbor one for Christmas....he "eyed" mine continuously! He loves his too.

DaChief
03-04-2012, 08:06 AM
I agree on the choice. I use mine constantly and the range is also very good.

MikeMSD
03-04-2012, 09:00 AM
I have an ET732 as well. If you don't need food temp, you don't have to hook up the probe, but it doesn't hurt to have it. The range is pretty good. I am able to take it anywhere in my house without a problem. I've done comp's with it and have been able to walk about 250 feet away before noticing the signal drop out. The only downside with me is that there is no way to adjust the calibration for the probes. Mine read about 8-10 degrees off and I have no way of fixing it. I just have to mentally add in those degrees.

KiltedKurmudgeon
03-04-2012, 02:11 PM
I have an ET732 as well. If you don't need food temp, you don't have to hook up the probe, but it doesn't hurt to have it. The range is pretty good. I am able to take it anywhere in my house without a problem. I've done comp's with it and have been able to walk about 250 feet away before noticing the signal drop out. The only downside with me is that there is no way to adjust the calibration for the probes. Mine read about 8-10 degrees off and I have no way of fixing it. I just have to mentally add in those degrees.

I noticed that with the 73 too. I put both probes in warm water, along with a couple of analog and digital thermometers, and they all gave different readings over a pretty wide range. As long as it's consistently wrong I can live with it. I'm really more worried about catching temp spikes and drops than exact readings, though accuracy would be nice too. It seems that anything much more accurate is a lot more expen$ive.

I do like that it doesn't just have presets for different meats and gives actual numbers for temps. I've found too many that just have a picture of a pig or a cow and tells you when it thinks it's "done." That's fine for Martha Stewart*, but doesn't work for me.

*Please note that I have no personal dispute with Martha Stewart, nor do I wish to start one. She has more nameless henchmen than I do, and I'm sure her secret lair is a lot better than mine. Her lair is probably inside a skull-shaped volcano, while mine is a tool shed with a leaky roof. In an Evil Villain battle royale I would get my a$$ handed to me on a platter.