PDA

View Full Version : Multiple meats on one smoker?

kevine
03-01-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm getting ready to do a couple racks of spares this weekend, some chicken thighs, grill-fired potatoes, moinks and ABT's

I'm doing the ribs on my UDS (3-1-1 minion method) at about 225-250. I'm planning on doing the chicken on my horizontal, with indirect, at about 275-300. My potatoes are peeled, sliced, with some chopped red onion, lots of butter and salt/pepper, in a foil pan, direct heat. I'm doing the moinks and ABTs at about 250 indirect for an hour.

I know having a UDS, I should be able to do it all on there, but I don't want to have to open it at varying times to add and remove other food. Ribs go on 5 hours before dinner, chicken about 2 hours before, moinks/ABT's and potatoes about an hour before.

Am I crazy to have the UDS, horizontal and a Weber kettle (maybe two) going all at once? Then again, it would look pretty cool...:crazy:

Pyle's BBQ
03-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Not crazy if you can handle it. You seem to have the time management down. It is like having 3 things going at the same time in your kitchen.

KnucklHed BBQ
03-01-2012, 10:37 PM
I agree with Bryan - And the cool factor is def there too...

Fire up as many cookers as you need to get the job done right! :thumb:
Ever seen a mechanic with just 1 wrench?? :mrgreen:

kevine
03-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Good points. I love the anticipation right before the weekend. The idea of getting charcoal ready for four smokers/grills is just too good to pass up. My wife is going to think I'm nuts...or at least, more nuts that she thought I was before this weekend! I'll post pics once I have all of them going. Wish me luck

Randbo
03-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Not crazy at all. Having them at different temps it makes sense to me. Crazy to try it all on one until you get more experience with it. Have fun!

criffaaa1
03-01-2012, 11:26 PM
you said it so, yeah you're crazy
you gotta open up the uds at 3 hours anyway(to foil) so add chix then.
one hour into that ya gotta open it again(to unwrap) add Moink's, abt's and potatoes.
in another hour all ya worries are done and you only had to tend 1 pit.
Plus you didn't have to burn up 30lbs of charcoal in the process. :wink:

Wampus
03-02-2012, 05:46 AM
Although it is exciting firing multiple smokers, if it were me (and I've been in your exact situation plenty of times) I'd work it out like criffaaa1 suggested. Exciting is cool, but you'll burn more fuel and have to watch 3 or 4 cookers too. It'll just be more to do.

If that's what you want to do, then by all means, you've got the plan down and you can rock it! I don't think you're crazy, but I have learned to always fire as few smokers as needed to get it done. But then I always have some other things going in the kitchen when I'm cooking so I don't want to have to be messing around with so many cookers.

Either way.....let us know how it turns out!

ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
03-02-2012, 06:55 AM
one hour into that ya gotta open it again(to unwrap) add Moink's, abt's and potatoes.

yeah..this one.

bbqwilly
03-02-2012, 06:59 AM

What he said.
But if you feel the need, fire those farkers up.

kevine
03-04-2012, 09:44 PM
I had the ribs in my UDS; had the chicken in my horizontal, using indirect; had the potatoes in foil pans, direct on the Aussie, and the moinks/ABT's on one of my Webers. :roll:

Way too much work. :tsk: I'm going with the UDS for everything, but the chicken will have to go on early to account for the temp, which I'm guessing will have to be at 275 or higher, rather than the 225-250 that I usually do for slow cooking. Thanks for all the input.

kevine
03-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Farkin' crazy!

davefan360
03-04-2012, 10:25 PM
nice bunch of cookers

BigHatBBQ
03-04-2012, 10:37 PM
There's an APP for that .......

Smoking Bruin
03-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Not crazy at all. I usually have my WSM and kettle going at the same time.

gaspipe1
03-07-2012, 11:42 AM

What would you shoot for in regards to temp? I think I saw from as low as 225* to as high as 300*

And if we agree on a range of 250-275 do we modify time?

BBQ Bandit
03-07-2012, 11:57 AM
One small note:

Do not have meat under raw chicken... unless its another chicken.

Bad mojo... no soup for you!

likeadeere
03-07-2012, 12:18 PM
nope, this is a horrible idea. I think you should cook all this meat and immediately send it to my address - and I will dispose of this tragedy properly. :thumb: