PDA

View Full Version : Smaller pork shoulder question

ederan42
03-01-2012, 08:12 PM
When I make pulled pork I usually use a 6-7 pound shoulder and smoke it for 12 hours. I want to make pulled pork in a couple weeks for a family get together, but I only have about seven hours to smoke. The best idea I have come up with is to cut the shoulder down to two smaller pieces. Has anyone every tired this? I can't see any reason it wouldn't work but I thought I would check...

Thanks for your help!!

whitelightnin92
03-01-2012, 08:18 PM
With smaller sizes you will have an issue keeping them from drying out. But on the plus side you will get 2x the bark. In the past when I did this, I pulled them, put them into a crockpot with some butter and apple juice and let people serve themselves.

BigBobBQ
03-01-2012, 08:23 PM
well if you only have 7 hours you can cook a little hotter, ramp it up to 300 or even 350 and that will cut the cook time down alot, toss a thermometer in it and watch the temp until it gets to where you check it for tenderness.

Ag76
03-01-2012, 08:34 PM
well if you only have 7 hours you can cook a little hotter, ramp it up to 300 or even 350 and that will cut the cook time down alot, toss a thermometer in it and watch the temp until it gets to where you check it for tenderness.

You can get it done easy in that amount of time by raising your pit temp to 300-350, and will not be able to tell any difference in quality. No need to cut it in half.

I always cook pork butt to an internal temp of 200.

IamMadMan
03-01-2012, 08:35 PM
When I make pulled pork I usually use a 6-7 pound shoulder and smoke it for 12 hours. I want to make pulled pork in a couple weeks for a family get together, but I only have about seven hours to smoke. The best idea I have come up with is to cut the shoulder down to two smaller pieces. Has anyone every tired this? I can't see any reason it wouldn't work but I thought I would check...

Thanks for your help!!

As "whitelightnin92" states, yes they may have the tendency to be more dry.

Some other options depending on the size of your smoker...

Make in advance, pull, and freeze in aluminum pans. Thaw and cook a small piece for show while bringing pans up to temp in the smoker.

I have also partially cooked (6 hours), and immediately wrapped in plastic then in foil, and then cooked the next day or after thawing. I found with this I have to re-rub the meat as flavor was lost in freezing, bring to 150 internal occasionally spritzing with apple cider and then finish in a covered foil pan to 195, and let rest. Not as good as fresh, but gives the impression of a long smoke.

jestridge
03-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Seem like the smaller butts doesn't do right

eddieh70301
03-01-2012, 08:59 PM
In my experience, cutting meat in half does not usually cut down in cook time. I've never cooked a shoulder hot and fast but I have done Butts hot and they come out great. I would go hot and fast. You could always inject your shoulder to aid in moisture retention. IMO, shoulders are not as "fatty" as butts.

fingerlickin'
03-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Cook it hotter 300*-350*, put it on smoke for 2hrs then put it in a pan and cover it with foil. Should speed up the cook time and give you plenty of juice to pour back on the meat. If you're really nervous I would take the advice given above and cook them ahead of time. If you have a foodsaver it makes it so easy to reheat, just put the bags in boiling water for a few minutes. The meat comes out of the bag piping hot and juicy. Good luck!

Desert Dweller
03-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Most of the above answers are right on advice. I would smoke the butt(s) as usual at about 225-250 for about 4 hours, this allows for smoke penetration while bringing the internal temp to about 140-150. Then you can bag and foil and kick the temp of the smoker up to about 350 or place in oven till meat is at 195+, rest 30 minutes and you are good to pull...

JMSetzler
03-03-2012, 04:00 PM
I have had great success with reheating pulled pork when I vacuum seal them and put them in the freezer. I just pull out a bag whenever Im in the mood and drop it in a pot of simmering water for 30-40 minutes. When I cut that bag open, that pulled pork is just about as good as it was right when it was pulled. Cook in advance if you need to. If you have a vacuum sealer, you are definitely set! If not, GET ONE!

Old Crow BBQ
03-03-2012, 07:57 PM
i do small Butts all the time with about a 5 to 6 hours window
run the temp around 300
smoke 3 hours check temp
, when temp is 150 to 160 wrap for 2 house check temp for 195 to 200
take off smoker let rest
enjoy