PDA

View Full Version : Do you charge your friends to Q for them?

Hozman
03-01-2012, 04:34 PM
I was asking a question in a different thread which led me to this question. Hopefully it will stay in this thread cause I believe more people read over here.

So if a buddy asks you to smoke up a brisket or pork butt because he has family/friends coming over do you do it out of the kindness of your heart or do you expect to be compensated?

I get asked once in a while by a co-worker/friend of mine or my wife's to cook for a b-day party or some family gathering. I am trying to decide if it would be wrong to ask to get some monetary reimbursement out of the deal.

NBBD
03-01-2012, 04:42 PM
If you cater then I definitely do not see any harm in asking for cash... but with a "friend" price. I have traded with friends and family (I do not compete or cater ) Obviously meat costs were taken care of by them but have had them help with projects around our house or they get me beer/booze etc..

deepsouth
03-01-2012, 04:42 PM
i haven't ever.

Hozman
03-01-2012, 04:48 PM
well maybe if I give you this scenario. I have been asked to cook for a b-day party of a friend of my wife's. Be 20 people and they would like pulled pork and wings. That is a lot of prep/cooking.

With that scenario would you just have them supply meat and you do the rest or would you ask for like a gift certificate to some place to get something out of your time?

I do not do catering. Just a fat happy guy who does backyard Q

Saiko
03-01-2012, 04:49 PM
My going price for the neighbors is cost of meat plus 10 bucks to cover charcoal and sauce. I think I end up making about 4 cents an hour, woot!

Brian in Maine
03-01-2012, 04:49 PM
It depends on the relationship. If it's a close friend I would never think of asking for money. If I were smoking anyway, and someone asked if I could throw another piece of meat on the grate, and I had room I would not charge. I think that someone who is not a close friend would have a lot of nerve to ask you to smoke if you were not planning on it.

bander7003
03-01-2012, 04:50 PM
I don't cater so my response definitely takes that into account. If I am going to the party, I typically Q for free (other than meat costs). If it's for something that I not going to (such as the friend's family event or something like that), he typically throws something in to make it worth my while like additional meat and beer. I've never had to ask though. If I catered, I would probably charge some amount of money. Don't really know on that one.

NBBD
03-01-2012, 04:54 PM

Amen Brutha!

Cast Iron Chef
03-01-2012, 04:54 PM
I handle it like Saiko. Meat cost plus some for coal and sauce. Plus I will usually smoke something for myself at the same time so coal is paid for.

ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
03-01-2012, 04:57 PM
"Bring your meat and a 6 pack, and I'll do it" ...2 6ers if they stay..they can't have mine!

bbqwilly
03-01-2012, 05:09 PM
As long as they buy the stuff, I'm happy to do it.

Hoss
03-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Big Bulk cuts(brisket/clod/butt/picnic,etc.)-1 beer/lb.
Ribs-1 (6-pack beer) /slab
Sausages/dogs/ burgers- 1 case beer/flat rate

All other cooks will involve liquor. :laugh:

BBQSmoker
03-01-2012, 05:16 PM
As long as costs of materials / food are covered I would do the rest for free. We bbq because we love it. This is just another reason why to fire up the pit.

Skidder
03-01-2012, 05:19 PM
I give away tons of food BUT if somebody ASKS you to cook for them TIME and PRODUCT turns to $$

Jarhead
03-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I usually get meat and beer. They buy the meat.
I cooked 16 butts about a month ago for 6 different people. IIRC, it was Super Bowl W/E.
Got 6 Free Butts and 6 Free Cases of Beer. Pretty good pay in my book.
The beer is gone. The butts are in the freezer.
If I do sausage, they gotta help and the above.

ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
03-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Honestly, most of my friends wouldn't even ask without offering something small..They realize and appreciate the effort it takes to make good "BBQ":tongue:

AustinKnight
03-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Honestly, most of my friends wouldn't even ask without offering something small..They realize and appreciate the effort it takes to make good "BBQ":tongue:

Same here, they know good Q when they taste it and they have to keep the cook happy or they will be eating Barn-S hot dogs for lunch/dinner!:heh:

Mister Bob
03-01-2012, 05:47 PM
If I'm cooking anyway, I have no problem throwing on some extra meat for a friend. If I'm not, I tell them to bring a bag of charcoal along with the meat.

bbqbull
03-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Don't forget the cost of the rub, foil ect. That stuff isn't getting any cheaper nor is fuel to the store, Sams Club is 50 miles round trip for me.

Cabin Fever
03-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Like a few others mentioned, as long as they pay for the meat and fuel then I'm good to go. No charge for the actual time and effort.

WvSmoke
03-01-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't charge friends. If they are having a function that requires food, I'm usually invited anyway. They buy everything, I cook and eat. It's the camaraderie that makes it worth it. Like gardening, I grow plants in the greenhouse for several friends. I don't charge them for that either even though I supply the growing medium (I'm very particular about that). I don't usually cook for friends of friends.

BBQSmoker
03-01-2012, 06:05 PM
I give away tons of food BUT if somebody ASKS you to cook for them TIME and PRODUCT turns to $$

I concur, with the exception of family :clap2:

Stoke&Smoke
03-01-2012, 06:10 PM
We attend a party every summer that 2 freinds who live next door to one another throw for about 80 folks

We have cooked pork butts and brisket for them for 3 years now. We only ask for compensation for meat, charcoal, rubs,etc.

Every year, they always throw in a tip, though we don't expect it
They understand the time and care that goes into it. Lots more work than burgers and brats on the grill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

chromestacks
03-01-2012, 06:16 PM
I would rather teach a good friend rather then do it for them. IF one of my friends were to ask, you can bet they would be right beside me so they know how much time and work goes into it. oh yeah, they would also supply meat, coal, and beverages

landarc
03-01-2012, 06:19 PM
It would depend on the reason and event. But, yes, there is a situation where I would charge a friend to cook for them. Not full ticket, but, something. If it is for a political cause, I then charge full ticket, regardless of politics. For a personal party, no, I don't charge at all for close friends, for more distant friends, meat and incidentals.

frohe
03-01-2012, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=HozmanSo if a buddy asks you to smoke up a brisket or pork butt because he has family/friends coming over do you do it out of the kindness of your heart or do you expect to be compensated? /QUOTE]

When folks ask me to cook for them, I just tell em I'll be glad to but they have to provide the meats plus $5.00 for fuel. Then I make a mad dash to my local meat market and decide what I'm gonna throw on the cooker along with whatever they want cooked.

I don't want to cater. My daughters once told me they thought I should open a BBQ place and I quickly told them I wasn't interested in working 15-18 hours a day, 7 days a week. Retirement has me spoiled; I take naps whenever I want to.:icon_blush:

pinkelephant
03-01-2012, 06:40 PM
I love excuses to show off. they buy the food "drinks" and charcoal. I bring the wood and smokers. BUT!! they buy what meat I want, from what market/store I want. I also make dang sure they dont have any extra meats to smoke that I didnt know about before I pack up and leave the house

JD McGee
03-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Do you charge your friends to Q for them?

Nope...they pay for everything except my time...:razz:

SirPorkaLot
03-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Define "friend of wife" if it is good and dear friend, then by all means I'd be happy to do it.

If it is co-worker or other casual friend I would charge a discounted rate, but I would charge.

Catering for 20 people is a pretty nice favor otherwise.

Booking It
03-01-2012, 07:53 PM
I don't cater so my response definitely takes that into account. If I am going to the party, I typically Q for free (other than meat costs). If it's for something that I not going to (such as the friend's family event or something like that), he typically throws something in to make it worth my while like additional meat and beer. I've never had to ask though. If I catered, I would probably charge some amount of money. Don't really know on that one.
I'm kind of the same way. If I've been invited to the event, I'd be happy to do it (if they cover the cost of the meat). If I wasn't invited (and certainly wouldn't expect to be), it would depend on the type of relationship that I have with that person. Close friend... I'd do it without question. Merely an acquaintance? I might charge a little over the cost of supplies.

I actually had a coworker last week ask me if I would smoke something for her if she bought everything. I told her flat out no because she is the most greedy and selfish person that I ever met and is constantly asking people to do all kinds of things for her. I'm not about to get my precious free time mixed up with her drama.

El Ropo
03-01-2012, 08:00 PM
I charge my friends to taste their Q. They are all clueless, and don't appreciate the stuff I make at all.

I've stopped cooking for my friends cuz they don't appreciate it at all.

Yes, when they ask me to do a cook, I'll ask them for cost of meat and charcoal, but will never let them pick out the meat.

ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
03-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Every year, they always throw in a tip, though we don't expect it
They understand the time and care that goes into it. Lots more work than burgers and brats on the grill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

During our 4th of July party, we put out a tip jar...Theres usually about 75+ people there..If money goes in--great..it helps cut costs..if not, no big deal.

BillywannaQ
03-01-2012, 08:37 PM
My going rate is a case of beer.

Randbo
03-01-2012, 08:41 PM
I never charge my friends. Consequently they bring me charcoal and meat to say thanks!

Hozman
03-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Define "friend of wife" if it is good and dear friend, then by all means I'd be happy to do it.

If it is co-worker or other casual friend I would charge a discounted rate, but I would charge.

Catering for 20 people is a pretty nice favor otherwise.

She is a co-worker of my wife she may or may not see in the office each day and I have met once. I am going to cover my cost plus 50%

Thanks fro all the responses.

jestridge
03-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I do a lot of charity cooks but i usually get plenty supplies such as foil , rubs apple juice salt , brown sugar. Lot of time i get extra meat also and pay. But I have never charge money. But when cooking for our church I furnish everything.

IamMadMan
03-01-2012, 08:43 PM
well maybe if I give you this scenario. I have been asked to cook for a b-day party of a friend of my wife's. Be 20 people and they would like pulled pork and wings. That is a lot of prep/cooking.

With that scenario would you just have them supply meat and you do the rest or would you ask for like a gift certificate to some place to get something out of your time?

NEVER LET SOMEONE ELSE SUPPLY YOUR MEAT........

Have them go with you or give them a receipt for reimbursement.
You will find that some people are insanely cheap and will purchase low quality meat and will complain at the outcome...

Depending on the depth of friendship
1) you can give the meat and cooking as your gift.
2) give the cooking, spices, fuel, and prep as your gift.
3) ask for something for your supplies and time.

bbqchicken
03-01-2012, 08:44 PM
My going rate is a case of beer.

I might charge a keg in the future :clap2:

MA2C
03-01-2012, 09:13 PM
No charge as lomg as they buy the meat. Not a comp cook or caterer so I am flattered

BigDaddyJT
03-01-2012, 09:33 PM
My friends know the drill. They pay for the meat, etc and I cook. As for my fee.....a case of Anchors, which they usually help consume :thumb:. It's all good.

BigDaddyJT
03-01-2012, 09:35 PM
I might charge a keg in the future :clap2:

I like how you roll. May have to up my fees :biggrin1:.

kevine
03-01-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm really appreciating the responses on this thread.

I've only made Q for family and a few friends we've invited over for dinner, so obviously, no charge there. However, we recently moved to a new neighborhood, VERY nice neighbors and I'm on a culdesac. Well, this past Xmas, I realized that we moved into a very "fun" neighborhood (get your minds out of the gutter!)...the xmas lights, fire pits, etc. were crazy, and I loved every second of it.

Apparently, Memorial, July 4th and Labor Day are pretty crazy here, especially July 4th. It's like one big block party. There's only one guy on the street that I'm aware of that is into smoking. I'm anticipating that some of my neighbors will ask me to smoke some meat since they've already tried my moinks and ABTs, and witnessed me building my first UDS. I hadn't thought about this subject until now but I think I'll go with the majority --- they supply the food, charcoal and beer, and I'll supply my time and knowledge. We all get to enjoy the camaraderie and good times!

captndan
03-02-2012, 05:51 AM
I don't charge friends. If they pay for the meat (that I picked out) and I keep the left-overs it's a good deal for all.

frohe
03-02-2012, 06:10 AM
I've only made Q for family and a few friends we've invited over for dinner, so obviously, no charge there. However, we recently moved to a new neighborhood, VERY nice neighbors and I'm on a culdesac. Well, this past Xmas, I realized that we moved into a very "fun" neighborhood (get your minds out of the gutter!)...the xmas lights, fire pits, etc. were crazy, and I loved every second of it.

We lived on a cul-de-sac in Kentucky. 9 houses total with only one that didn't have kids. Every Saturday evening, we baracade the end of the street and bring out our picnic tables, chairs, whatever and partied like it was 1999. Me and a couple of the fellas liked doing Q so we'd divy up what everyone wanted to eat and cook em for em. Nothing fancy.

Those were some good times. Now I live on a quiet little street and I seldom see my neighbors; they hide in their houses. I have had a couple come ask me what I was cooking when they smell my smoke. :icon_blush:

nexpress
03-02-2012, 06:16 AM
I gave up cooking for people when I was asked to make pork and ribs for my MIL's Memorial Day bbq/poolparty. I showed up with 2 butts and 3 slabs of Baby backs to find my FIL cooking chicken, hamburgers and hot dogs. :mmph: Now when I cook if I want to bring you something I will.

Lake Dogs
03-02-2012, 06:45 AM
I dont charge, even when I catered a friends wedding reception.

daninnewjersey
03-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Great, great question....

Like a bunch of you guys I'd never charge my friends money. They supply the meat, charcoal...and a bottle of red...and they get some fairly decent barbecue in return.

One stipulation though....they have to get the meat at my butcher. It helps give him business and I know my friends won't be buying crappy meat.

Neil
03-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Cost of the meat and anywhere from a fifth to a 1/2 gallon of JD depending on how much food I'll be cooking. :biggrin: Whenever I have been asked by a friend to cook, they have always offered something in return.

QDoc
03-02-2012, 08:44 AM
This question always intrigues me. Doing simple things for friends and neighbors like picking up a carton of cokes for them if you're going to the store or maybe cutting their grass if they're sick is one thing but preparing BBQ is another. It's not the same as baking a pie for them if they don't have room for it in their oven.
BBQ is an act of love I do for family and friends if I am hosting a party at my house. Preparing it for someone else to host a party makes it commercial. In my wildest dreams I would never ask someone to prepare a meal for people whom I've invited to my house for me to entertain without paying for their effort. When my daughter got married her cousin, an amature cake baker offered to make the wedding cake. She had no problem with presenting me with a bill for $500 and the cake wasn't that good. So if you have to ask,,, charge at least what a commercial bbq house would charge and probably more because it is worth it and you are "giving" your love but not your Q.

Dave Russell
03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Nope. Just reimbursement for cost of the meat as long as I'm already doing a smoke and compliments always follow. To me, it's only catering if cooking on someone ELSE's schedule.

tnjimbob
03-02-2012, 09:06 AM
I catered a Super Bowl party for 75+ at church, and didn't charge anything over cost, which they reimbursed me for.

Friends & family reimburse me for costs plus whatever they feel is fair for time & effort based on the size of the gig.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
03-02-2012, 09:15 AM
For a long while I was just charging cost of supplies. Lately its gotten out of hand with friends, family, and coworkers asking for food. Now I don't mind doing it for cost of supplies as long as I'm cooking already. I have people walk up and ask me to get them a couple pounds. Sorry but I'm not a restaurant and burning up my weekend just for you to have a little bit of Q isn't in the cards. People have no idea the time involved. My days off are to important to me so I'll normally just pass unless it's a big order. I hand out enough completely free food to friends, family, and coworkers from comps and practice during the year I don't have a problem charging now and again.

ROF, Texas
03-02-2012, 09:36 AM
We competetion cook and also cater, but this remains to be an issue with "Friends". If the meat and charcoal/wood expenses are covered you can consider the effort no cost experience. We actually started catering to gain more experience for comp. cooking, and the income helps to support a relatively expensive hobby/habbit. This has been a very effective venture for that purpose. All that said it falls back to your relationship with the friend. I have charged to cook 2 briskets and have catered a true friends 150 person wedding reception dinner for free.
A strategy, that we use, for holidays, special events and cook off's is to advertise via social media and pre sale product also.

4uweque
03-02-2012, 10:30 AM
I had a friend ask me to smoke 2 butts for him today. I wouldn't mind some ribs but I don't wanna spend the next 12 hours minding a fire for BBQ I'm not gonna eat.
More to the point, I don't charge friends but probably should.

fingerlickin'
03-02-2012, 02:08 PM
No charge for family, and my friends usually give me beer. :thumb:

In your case Hozman you may want to ask them what they want to eat at the party and how many people will be there. Then tell them you will give them a price on what it will cost to cook that amount of food. At that point you can account for things like charcoal, foil, foil pans, sauce and rubs. Then if you want to sneak a couple bucks in there for yourself I say do it. If not don't. I don't think you would have to feel bad about buying 1 or 2 extra pork butts or racks of ribs for your trouble. Just be prepared to feel bad if she brings you a couple cases of beer or something unexpected at delivery.

Let your conscience be your guide.

ODU Dad
03-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Okay, my take on business, which is really the heart of the question. All business decisions have implications with one of the biggest being marketing. People always want a simple answer but it is either complicated or you have an innate sense of the moment and have a knack in making these kinds of decisions. Since you asked, you must be in the former place and not the latter.

Who is it that you are providing services? If they are a friend then think of it as your tit to their tat. If they are acquaintances and they are connected to people who are potential new clients then think of it like the free samples that you get at Costco. You need to get you name/rep out there and you need to think of it as a good way to reach out to new opportunities. If they are annoying family members then let them know that you are a professional and you need to be compensated like other pros, but that you are giving them the family discount. That way they can feel privileged and you can charge their friends more. Everyone else is essentially a leach. Treat them accordingly, unless you want practice and do not mind using them as Guinea pigs.

Have fun and go with the flow. The more you are in demand, the more you can be selective and the more you can ask for compensation. Good luck.

baldbill
03-03-2012, 01:36 AM
Usually I do not charge them, I tell them to get what they want smoked and toss a butt in for me and I am good to go. If they get a butt I dont worry too much about the charcoal, now if they want several butts etc cooked thats different

Crash
03-03-2012, 02:30 AM
Don't forget the cost of the rub, foil ect. That stuff isn't getting any cheaper nor is fuel to the store, Sams Club is 50 miles round trip for me.

I agree with this answer and will add to it. Does the friend/family just want bbq meat or Comp bbq meat that they have tasted before?

If they want the Comp bbq meat that they have tasted before it can get pricey. The cost of injections, rubs, charcoal, wood, foil, half/full pans, foil, gas, etc. might make it a higher price for the friend/family.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for cooking for friends and family...just not at a financial loss. All of the variables really do add up.

LM600
03-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Nope. I don't cater or even compete but I do get asked to do various gigs for friends which of course I do not charge for.
Whoever I'm doing the gig for buys what they want cooking and the fuel etc and I basically hang out with my Mates have a few beers and do something I love to do.