PDA

View Full Version : Avocado Flavor Wood

LongTong
03-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Can anyone tell me about or point me in the right direction regarding Avocado as flavor wood? I know the Mexican type have aromatic leaves and that's why you sometimes see them in the Hispanic markets. Couldn't tell you how to use them if anybody knows? Back to the wood...The leaves of the stuff I cut down today are not aromatic and the freshly cut rounds have zero smell or aroma. I imagine it's a Guatemalan or hybrid growing here in OC CA. I wonder if a freshly cut Mexican type would have an aroma due to it's leaves being so. I wonder if the two types would have a different flavor profile? You would think so. I'm going to dry out my chuncks here and chop some chips fronm the small stuff and give 'em go this weekend...Thanks Brethren!

Woodmonkey
03-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Friend of mine here in East Central Florida has a few trees that died in the last freeze and he says they are good to go on his BGE.

LongTong
03-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Friend of mine here in East Central Florida has a few trees that died in the last freeze and he says they are good to go on his BGE.

Thanks Woodmonkey! I've read you all have the third variety of Avocado out there called the West Indian type. Perhaps all three have there own unique subtleties. I'll have to start a collection and just smoke it!

Keep on smokin'

IamMadMan
03-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Can anyone tell me about or point me in the right direction regarding Avocado as flavor wood? I know the Mexican type have aromatic leaves and that's why you sometimes see them in the Hispanic markets. Couldn't tell you how to use them if anybody knows? Back to the wood...The leaves of the stuff I cut down today are not aromatic and the freshly cut rounds have zero smell or aroma. I imagine it's a Guatemalan or hybrid growing here in OC CA. I wonder if a freshly cut Mexican type would have an aroma due to it's leaves being so. I wonder if the two types would have a different flavor profile? You would think so. I'm going to dry out my chuncks here and chop some chips fronm the small stuff and give 'em go this weekend...Thanks Brethren!

Don't use green wood, it will give your food a bitter taste. Let dry for at least a few months.