PDA

View Full Version : Cookshack smoker??

LittleDick'sBBQ
03-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Greetings,

I found a Craigslist ad for a "Cookshack commercial smoker" offered for $1,200/OBO. I know next to nothing about these. I have requested more info. from the seller (model, size, condition, heat source, etc.). Are these smokers worth looking at? Which models should I consider/steer clear of? I cannot any cooker on Cookshack's website for less than $3,900.00. Once I have more information, I'll update y'all.

Thank you,
Little Dick

rexbbq
03-01-2012, 10:29 AM
I picked up a SM160 off craigslist for $250. It worked great, but it was electric heat so you don't get the best smoke ring and you can't use it for comps. I used it for a couple of months, cleaned it up and sold it for $1800. Was a good investment.

The_Kapn
03-01-2012, 10:32 AM
You will need the details of the smoker.
Model, age, condition, etc.
There is a huge variety of CookShacks produced over the years and the value lies in the details.
Being listed as a "commercial" smoker, it is most likely electric.

I am not aware of any "bad" or "undesirable" models, so continue checking it out.
And, I understand that repair and update parts are available for many of them.

TIM

LittleDick'sBBQ
03-01-2012, 10:37 AM
You will need the details of the smoker.
Model, age, condition, etc.
There is a huge variety of CookShacks produced over the years and the value lies in the details.
Being listed as a "commercial" smoker, it is most likely electric.

Thanks TIM,

I have asked the seller these very questions. I also requested a picture.

Little Dick

rexbbq
03-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Cookshack is awesome with parts. So if you can get it for cheap they are really easy and somewhat inexpensive to repair. Just make sure that the IQ computer turns on. If that turns on and it doesn't work the only thing to replace is the heating element and the thermocouple. Both which are reasonable and rather easy to replace. Further if it doesn't work a requires a new IQ, they are about $500. So if you can get it real cheap, it may still be worth it.

Skidder
03-01-2012, 11:15 AM
A small Cookshack will sell for a bit over $600.00 new then go WAY up from there.

DavidEHickey
03-02-2012, 06:02 AM
I bought a used Cookshack 150 at an auction for 300.00 bought a new controller for 500.00 and completely stripped it to bare metal and primed and painted it and put new factory stickers on it. So for under 1000.00 I have a new looking unit. I really like it but its a little tricky to use it doesn't need much wood at all. Its easy to over smoke the meat.

frohe
03-02-2012, 06:18 AM
I found a Craigslist ad for a "Cookshack commercial smoker" offered for $1,200/OBO. I know next to nothing about these. I have requested more info. from the seller (model, size, condition, heat source, etc.). Are these smokers worth looking at? Which models should I consider/steer clear of? I cannot any cooker on Cookshack's website for less than $3,900.00. Once I have more information, I'll update y'all.

I'm guessing the seller is local. Go see the thing, find the data plate, copy it down and then call Cookshack with the info and get them to give you the lowdown. Ask em to send you a copy of the owner's manual in case they don't have them online. Being electric, you'll need it.

CircleW
03-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Here is the link for the posting.

http://providence.craigslist.org/bfs/2878054301.html

There are quite a few other things that he is selling that may be of interest to some of you.

SmokinOkie
03-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Given it was a restaurant, it is like one of the 100/200/300 series commercial smokers.

Just get the model # and I can help you from there. If he can't give you the model #, ask him for dimensions (size and # of racks and their sizes)

Then it will depend on working condition. Many restaurants don't take care of their smoker, and as David above pointed out, you can get a good deal and then upgrade.

rwyatt
03-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I have 2 of their smokers. A FE100 and a FEC100. They have been work horses for us.

LittleDick'sBBQ
03-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Greetings,

Thanks for the replies and the input. It may all be moot since the seller will not reply to my e-mails! What the fark?

Little Dick