PDA

View Full Version : Supermarket BBQ Sauce

tdwalker
03-01-2012, 09:27 AM
When you reach for the BBQ at the supermarket, what do you choose?

KC Masterpiece?
Bullseye?
Sweet Baby Ray's?

O'Mordha
03-01-2012, 09:30 AM
If it is a mass produced sauce, Sweet Baby Ray's for me.

Jason TQ
03-01-2012, 09:30 AM
I like all Sticky Fingers, especially the carolina sweet.

Bbq Bubba
03-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Montgomery Inn.

smokingj
03-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Stubbs

che22879
03-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Bull'sEye
Sweet baby Rays
KC Masterpiece
in that order. Its a shame I cant get the large twin pack of Bull's Eye at Sam's.

deguerre
03-01-2012, 09:38 AM
I pretty much exclusively buy Brethren sauces and rubs. From Brethren businesses. They're SOOOOOOOOO much better and I don't mind shipping.

The_Kapn
03-01-2012, 09:42 AM
BBQ seasonings are strictly a personal taste thing.
No one can pick one for you or make any recommendation other than what they like.

Also, any sauce, no matter how highly recommended or how tasty it might be by itself, may not "work" with your other seasonings.

The good news is that supermarket sauces are cheap.

Just buy a couple and try them.
If you don't like one, pitch it. Very little $$ lost to try.

Keep it up till you find one or more than you like.

Good Eats.

TIM

jestridge
03-01-2012, 09:42 AM
SBR for me also like cattleman. But lately my niece have been supplying me with sauce, it just could be one of the better sauce I have ever ate

Trumpstylz
03-01-2012, 09:47 AM
My favorite- Famous Dave's blue label sweet n sassy (and i add some spice or red pepper flakes).

Although stubbs is pretty good too. Cattleman isn't bad either.

I haven't really gotten into making my own or buying the fancy stuff.

Sweet baby ray's is all sweet and very little spice.

speers90
03-01-2012, 09:49 AM
I just recently tried Sweet Baby Rays and I was very pleasantly surprised.

JONESY
03-01-2012, 09:52 AM
+1 on the Montgomery inn, best stuff available in the stores. Main ingredient is tomatoes not sugar, love the stuff.

BobM
03-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Sweet Baby Rays Vidalia Onion.

Bob

jestridge
03-01-2012, 09:53 AM
most kids loves SBR

fingerlickin'
03-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Guy Fierri's Kansas City is very good, I haven't tried the others yet.
Sticky Fingers
SBR

tnjimbob
03-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Stubb's, doctored SBR Original. Usually make my own and tweak until it tastes good.

Being fairly new to the Brethren, I plan to try some brethren sauces soon as I know they are better than supermarket sauces. :mrgreen:

rexbbq
03-01-2012, 10:06 AM
I use Cattleman's if I use a supermarket brand.

Vision
03-01-2012, 10:14 AM
SBR but I'll add rub or something to get it where it needs to be.

Grange
03-01-2012, 10:18 AM
I prefer Bullseye when buying in the grocery store. When visiting the BBQ store I like to pick up Butchers BBQ sauce.

bander7003
03-01-2012, 10:19 AM
I don't always buy supermarket sauce, but when I do, it's Dos Equis.... wait, that's not right. It's Cattlemens. And I only buy it when I incorporate it into something else.

Bamabuzzard
03-01-2012, 10:25 AM
It's been years (literally) since I've bought a supermarket bbq sauce. I just find that most have an "unbalanced" taste profile and I have to end up tinkering with it when I get home which defeats the purpose of purchasing the sauce to begin with. So if I'm Q'n something I need sauce on I make my own.

I've tasted SBR's, Stubbs, Cattlemen's, Sticky Fingers etc when we've eaten at other people's homes. Either they are overly sweet for my taste or do not have the range of flavors I prefer.

criffaaa1
03-01-2012, 10:27 AM
My new goto is kc carolina style mustard, goes great on pokebutt.

Sent via Criffvo

bover
03-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Blues Hog or Firebug Grilling Sauce for me, but I live in the KC area. We tend to have a bigger selection than most for both rubs and sauces in the grocery store.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=458&pictureid=3604
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=458&pictureid=3606
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=458&pictureid=3605

Drh7003
03-01-2012, 10:38 AM
I doctor- Cattleman's, Sweet Baby Rays and Jim Beam

Lake Dogs
03-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Blues Hog Original
Blues Hog Tennessee Red

(not necessarily in that order)

Otherwise, NOT, NADA, not going to happen. I've tried most of those in the pictures and listed above. Almost all have smoke flavorings in them, and I dont go for that.

Bamabuzzard
03-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Blues Hog Original
Blues Hog Tennessee Red

(not necessarily in that order)

Otherwise, NOT, NADA, not going to happen. I've tried most of those in the pictures and listed above. Almost all have smoke flavorings in them, and I dont go for that.

Same here. If I can taste liquid smoke I'm done. And a vast majority of mass produced sauces have liquid smoke in them. I don't want sauce competing with "my meat". :becky:

To me a good sauce enhances the flavor of the meat not take it over.

Lake Dogs
03-01-2012, 10:59 AM
^^^ BINGO! We have a winner!!!

DaveMW
03-01-2012, 11:11 AM
blues hog or firebug grilling sauce for me, but i live in the kc area. We tend to have a bigger selection than most for both rubs and sauces in the grocery store.

holy cow!!!

DaveMW
03-01-2012, 11:14 AM
If I buy off the shelf; which is rarely since I make 3 varieties of sauce that I always have on hand; I buy Montgomery Inn. I am surprised to see several Michigan folks that have access to it. I can get it since I am within 15 minutes of one of the restaurants and within half an hour of the other two.

speers90
03-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Blues Hog or Firebug Grilling Sauce for me, but I live in the KC area. We tend to have a bigger selection than most for both rubs and sauces in the grocery store.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=458&pictureid=3606
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=458&pictureid=3605

Oh, Hy-Vee, how I miss thee! Seriously, since moving from Kansas to Minnesota I do miss the Hy-Vee grocery stores.

thoraudio
03-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Occasionally I'll find Big Bob Gibson's at one of the local stores. mmmmmm.

DC-Q
03-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Bone Suckin "HOT"
SBR

devious
03-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Ive been secretly using walmarts great value original. Is is pretty darn good

frohe
03-01-2012, 11:58 AM
When you reach for the BBQ at the supermarket, what do you choose?

Most times I make my own sauce - here's the recipe if you'd like to give it a try. When I'm lazy I use Woody's Cook-in Sauce and mix one bottle with one can of Coke.

frohe's Kick Ass Texas BBQ Sauce :icon_blush:

1 quart v8 juice
1 quart beef stock; de-greased
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup dark molasses
1/3 cup black pepper
1/3 cup hungarian sweet paprika
1/4 cup yellow onion; minced
1 bottle worcestershire sauce
1 cup chilies; you decide how hot
1/2 cup garlic; pressed

The key to the amount of heat is the chilies and how many you use. I usually make up 3 batches; one for the gringo bellies, a medium hot one made with jalapenos or Serrano, and a hot one made with habaneras. Mix together V8 juice and beef stock. Then add mustard, cider, molasses, black pepper and paprika as you stir the sauce. Put mixture on stove to simmer. After 1/2 hour, add Worcestershire sauce, minced yellow onion, chilies, and garlic. Let the sauce simmer for about 2 hours in your smoker to pick up the good smoke taste. Stir and taste often as it simmers. After about three hours total simmering time, taste and add some salt if needed. You can put it in a blender to smooth it out. Let the sauce cool and put it in a gallon jug and let age at least a week in the refrigerator before using.

Serve on the side with brisket, ribs, chicken or over steak.

h00kemh0rns
03-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Hands down, for me, is the Salt Lick's Lauren's Spicy Recipe sauce.

http://eatmoreheat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/salt-lick-spicy-bbq-sauce.jpg

smokeyokie
03-01-2012, 12:30 PM
HEAD COUNTRY ORIGINAL:thumb:

Mark M
03-01-2012, 12:36 PM
I make my own, but when I need to throw some into my Brunswick Stew recipe, I use the cheap stuff. For that I like Chris & Pitts.

mr dirts bbq
03-01-2012, 12:36 PM
im going stubbs also, but i usually make my own i have a spot on recipe thats easy to make, and it doubles and triples easily

jestridge
03-01-2012, 12:40 PM
I agree some of those store brand are pretty good. What suprise me was Save_A -Lot have a good sauce and cheap

smokainmuskoka
03-01-2012, 01:30 PM
I used to buy Bull's Eye a lot, but have been enjoying the house brand sauce from the supermarket I mostly use - Sobey's, "Compliments" brand for other Canadian/Ontario brethren. Their Kansas City style is pretty good and I usually add a bit of cider vinegar to cut some of the sugar. There's a Lime Habanero Tequila they do as well that's tasty with a little more heat. Some of the Loblaw's sauce is OK too.
I've tried Sweet Baby Ray's, but find it kind of dull - Iwas surprised because I'd heard very good things about it.

smokainmuskoka
03-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Ive been secretly using walmarts great value original. Is is pretty darn good
I've been curious about that stuff. I used to get a sweet and spicy prepared mustard that was really great, so of course they stopped carrying it at the local store.

Brian in Maine
03-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Bull'sEye
Sweet baby Rays
KC Masterpiece
in that order. Its a shame I cant get the large twin pack of Bull's Eye at Sam's.

Me to.

devious
03-01-2012, 02:23 PM
I've been curious about that stuff. I used to get a sweet and spicy prepared mustard that was really great, so of course they stopped carrying it at the local store.

A buddy of mine showed me a "bbq sauce" blind taste test that was done in KC and the Great Value beat alot of the more well known sauces, so i decided to give it a try. And I think its around a 1.25

RevZiLLa
03-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Same here. If I can taste liquid smoke I'm done. And a vast majority of mass produced sauces have liquid smoke in them. I don't want sauce competing with "my meat". :becky:

To me a good sauce enhances the flavor of the meat not take it over.

!00% agreed on this!

Texas Turtle
03-01-2012, 03:09 PM
I don't use sauce to cook with, so when I buy any it's just to put on the side for guests so I just impulse buy what's on sale. I do like KC Masterpiece and SBR, and HEB supermarkets down here have a private label line of different style sauces I use sometimes (KC style, Memphis, Carolina, Texas style, etc.). For my in-laws I just buy Kraft original 'cause they don't know the difference.

Ground Pounder
03-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Open Pit, because I got a couple gallons of it last year as a gift and learned how to doctor it up pretty good.

MGB@theBeach
03-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Jack Daniel's Hickory Brown Sugar

Cabin Fever
03-01-2012, 03:45 PM
If we're only talking about local grocery store sauces then my vote will always go to Famous Dave's original Sweet & Sassy. Hands down the best tomato based or "red" BBQ sauce I've ever had. Other nods go to the rest of Famous Dave's line and Cattleman's.

I stay far, far away from store brand sauces and the likes of Kraft, Bull's Eye, Heinz, Open Pit, KC Masterpiece and Sweet Baby Ray's. It's always surprised me that Sweet Baby Ray's has such a huge following. To me it just tastes like fast food BBQ sauce. Oh well, to each their own.

P47B
03-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Jack Daniel's Hickory Brown Sugar
Jack Daniels's
Me too.^^^^
I'm surprised no one has said Curley's, Made in Hutchinson Ks.
But the only one I get is the hickory.

JackM
03-01-2012, 04:44 PM
I really like Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet, it's great on pulled pork sandwiches. Other then that I'll usually just grab KC Masterpeice or Sweet Baby Rays, both are pretty good for what they cost.

NBBD
03-01-2012, 04:50 PM
If my sis in law is coming I cook dry and have SBRays... She has an odd allergic reaction to some products with tomato preservatives but knows SBR won't make her reach for the epipen... We buy a few when It is a buck a bottle and both the wife and I like it just fine for what it is... We prefer the sweet and spicy

Jarhead
03-01-2012, 04:57 PM
1st Choice - Cook Shack Mild
2nd - SBR
3rd - Cattleman's
4th - KC Masterpiece (I try to avoid it)
All of the above get the Doctor.

shirknwrk
03-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Blues Hog...Original and Tennessee Red ...on the shelf at HY V in KC.... Famous Dave's Texas Pit or Rich and Sassy (can I have 4 favorites?).

jestridge
03-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Open Pit, because I got a couple gallons of it last year as a gift and learned how to doctor it up pretty good.
That was my first BBQ sauce , don't see it around anymore, but I still remember the flavor of itnot bad at all

Ole Man Dan
03-01-2012, 09:25 PM
My favorite- Famous Dave's blue label sweet n sassy (and i add some spice or red pepper flakes).
Although stubbs is pretty good too. Cattleman isn't bad either.
I haven't really gotten into making my own or buying the fancy stuff.
Sweet baby ray's is all sweet and very little spice.

When I use Sweet Baby Ray's, I cut it with coffee and add cayenne pepper to kick it up a little. Sweet and spicy.
I'm also partial to Stubbs, KC Masterpiece, and Cattlemen's...

Most of the time I doctor up any commercial sauce, and cook it about an hour. I like the taste I get when I cut em with coffee & pepper...
I also like my sauce a little thinner than commercial.
I mostly use it like a glaze. The last 30 minutes of a smoke.

Sly-one
03-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Sweet Baby Ray's.They have a decent variety of flavors and all work well for us.
When I can find it, bottles of Sonny's Sweet BBQ sauce are also a winner.

tajt7757
03-01-2012, 11:45 PM
My favorite is a Texas local. You. An only buy at Rudy's.
Awesome on anything. I think you can buy it on-line.

LoneStarMojo
03-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Baby Rays for a lowcost feed-the-masses sauce. Mine personal store bought stash is Blues Hog Smoky Mountain sauce.

Chris_R
03-02-2012, 02:44 AM
I always have some Blues Hog on hand since I can get it at the Bi-Lo Country Mart in Warrensburg, MO. Plus I really am a big fan of Cattlemens and SBR's as far as supermarket sauces go.

vafish
03-02-2012, 04:35 AM
SBR, and I usually mix it with my home made Carolina vinegar sauce.

captndan
03-02-2012, 05:37 AM
I buy Cattleman's by the gallon for the big cooks and serve it on the side. Me? I'm a vinegar kind of guy.

jestridge
03-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Same here Cap

Full Throttle
03-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Sweet Baby Ray's cut with some beer and Worshtershire, then add some Slap Ya Momma seasoning :thumb:

TOPPER-Q
03-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Carolina Gold, both types, warning the vinagar is right warm......

bigabyte
03-02-2012, 12:54 PM
When I find myself in the regular old store, I usually have to settle on Blues Hog Original and Tennessee Red
:becky:

dechols
03-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Stubbs is awsome (to me) for a "sauce off the shelf", for pulled pork, but my wife likes the Sweet Baby Ray on ribs (basting one side only one time only)

Ye Olde Party Palace
03-10-2012, 11:08 PM
IF I use store bought sauce, it is usually Gates BBQ sauce. It is not too sweet, and has good flavor. If I change it at all, I usually add some beer to thin it down.:-D

ButchB
03-10-2012, 11:37 PM
We smoked some wings the other night and for used sweet baby rays on some, kc masterpiece on some, tasty licks secret sauce on some, and franks on the others. For heat, buffalo style, the franks was awesome, which was weird cause to me franks is not good on fried wings but on smoked wings it was good. The tasty licks secret sauce though was the best wings I have ever had in my life. I see so many people saying sweet baby rays is the best sauce and to me, thats all i could taste was the sauce.

JMSetzler
03-10-2012, 11:54 PM
I like the Guy Fiery KC style sauce a LOT. I also like the Stubbs Hickory Bourbon sauce.

BIGBrandon2785
03-10-2012, 11:56 PM
If it is a mass produced sauce, Sweet Baby Ray's for me.
Same here,I actually think SBR's is the best all purpose sauce I ever tasted

NU2QN
03-11-2012, 09:03 AM
My wife an I like the Famous Dave's line of sauces. My favorite is the Devil's Spit and she likes the Sweet & Zesty. I haven't purchased any for some time because I have made my own sauce based on the ingredients in both. My wife said I nailed the profile for her sauce. I nailed the profile for Devil's Spit as well after a few batches. I decided I wanted more sweet and more heat so i played around until I got it exactly the way I wanted it.

So no more store bought sauces. I make my own.

charlie263
03-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Garlands , a new sauce put out by kraft, is pretty darn good. Sweet, and spicy.

ThomEmery
03-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Disclaimer
I worked my first Bulls-Eye BBQ Sauce activation yesterday at
the Santa Anita CA Cook Off
Where we featured some of the new regional flavors line of Bulls-Eye
Flavors are Original, Memphis, Carolina, Kansas City and Texas
The Texas with a kick was very popular with the racetrack crowd

The Garland Jacks teams working in Southern markets has a line up
of six very interesting flavors One has even resulted in a contest walk already

landarc
03-11-2012, 10:55 AM
I used to always have a bottle of Bone Suckin' Sauce around, thinner and more acidic than most. It was great on pork.

Limp Brisket
03-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Anything but SBR!