PDA

View Full Version : How should I cut my brisket for this event?

jhliuko
02-29-2012, 09:49 PM
My friend has asked me if I could smoke meat for an air show later this year. I wanted to do pork butt and brisket. My question revolves around the brisket. I was thinking about just making all the briskets I smoke into burnt ends for sandwiches. I just asked my father who is now a retired Meat Cutter/Manager for the last 35 years and he told me just to shred them. I replied with, “Well isn’t that just pulled beef”. He looked at me and just shrugged his shoulders. (I hate it when he does that to me!!!) It would be a lot easier to shred it and do it that way but wouldn’t that be cutting corners?

So I guess my question is for the people who have done this before. Would you pull it, cube it, slice it or just try to do it the easiest way? And what is the easiest and or the most presentable way?

Thanks

Contracted Cookers
02-29-2012, 10:08 PM
not sure how to pull brisket flats

Wampus
02-29-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm no brisket expert, but if it were me I'd slice brisket flats.

If you want the easiest way.....just do pork butts and chuckies for pulled pork and beef!

LoneStarMojo
03-01-2012, 01:10 AM
I'm from Texas... brisket is sliced or chopped or burnt ends. I hear chuck pulls nice :-D

Scubadoo97
03-01-2012, 03:34 AM
Chuck does indeed pull well and is cheaper than brisket in many cases as well as being very flavorful.

I smoke small 4-5# chucks when in the mood for pulled beef. They have enough fat to be forgiving and don't dry out easily

Nomo4me
03-01-2012, 03:39 AM
How long would one smoke a 5lb chuck at 250 degrees? Or should it be hotter? That sound pretty good!

Chuck does indeed pull well and is cheaper than brisket in many cases as well as being very flavorful.

I smoke small 4-5# chucks when in the mood for pulled beef. They have enough fat to be forgiving and don't dry out easily

frohe
03-01-2012, 04:47 AM
My friend has asked me if I could smoke meat for an air show later this year. I wanted to do pork butt and brisket. My question revolves around the brisket. I was thinking about just making all the briskets I smoke into burnt ends for sandwiches. I just asked my father who is now a retired Meat Cutter/Manager for the last 35 years and he told me just to shred them. I replied with, “Well isn’t that just pulled beef”. He looked at me and just shrugged his shoulders. (I hate it when he does that to me!!!) It would be a lot easier to shred it and do it that way but wouldn’t that be cutting corners?

So I guess my question is for the people who have done this before. Would you pull it, cube it, slice it or just try to do it the easiest way? And what is the easiest and or the most presentable way?

Thanks

Tain't nuttin better than a chopped burnt ends sandwich. Thin-slice your brisket against the grain then use meat cleavers to chop it up. Top it with your favorite sauce and squeal like a pig when you chomp down on it.

The_Kapn
03-01-2012, 06:20 AM
Brisket makes great pulled beef.

Just cook the flat as you normally do, then cook a couple of more hours at 170-200 degrees wrapped in foil with plenty of moisture.
I use the oven for this-easy peasey.

Then slice across the grain into 3" or so chunks. This keeps the shreads from being way too long.

It will shread just fine and tastes like brisket, not chuck/pot roast.

Good Eats,

TIM

speers90
03-01-2012, 09:14 AM
I vote for getting a couple of larger chuck roasts or one shoulder clod and cooking similar to how you like to cook pork butts. IMO, they make better shredded beef than brisket flats.

GrillsGoneWild
03-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Go with Pulled Pork and Chopped Brisket Sandwiches.

landarc
03-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Chopped brisket is very traditional for sandwiches in some parts of Texas, it is also quite tasty. You still need to cook it up right, then take a cleaver to it, I slice is somewhat on the thin side, maybe just a little thinner than a quarter inch, then chop it coarsely, then moisten with the drippings, I use the fat and jus, then serve on cheap white buns. You can't go wrong that way. Sauce in squeeze bottles if you must.

I will say, it is not at all the same as pulled chuck, I really like a chopped brisket sandwich, more than a pulled chuck sandwich actually.

Ground Pounder
03-01-2012, 03:25 PM
How long would one smoke a 5lb chuck at 250 degrees? Or should it be hotter? That sound pretty good!

Until it's tender enough to pull with a single finger, and a probe slides in like warm butter.

Ground Pounder
03-01-2012, 03:29 PM
I dunno, I'm pretty fond a sammiches made from brisket slices.

I make a mean brisket hoagie with sliced flat, carmelized onions, and a touch of horseradish or spicy mustard sauce.

CrackerJack from KC
03-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I do a BBQ for 150 people at church every year. We usually do 11 packers and 11 pork shoulders. Since Brisket and Burnt ends are real popular in thers parts. I take the 11 packers and separate the flats from the points using a 6 inch boning knife.

When all is done, I slice the brisket flats, and cube the burnt ends from the points. To do all this slicing and cubing, I use razor sharp 12" victorinox granton edge knife.

If you shred the brisket, you might as well be making sloppy joe for everyone. Take a little extra time and give the people what they want.

ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
03-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I vote for halving the brisket (longways) and then busting the slicer out and shaving or using a 1...It'll make the brisket last longer and it'll be nice n pretty!

LoneStarMojo
03-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Chopped brisket is very traditional for sandwiches in some parts of Texas, it is also quite tasty. You still need to cook it up right, then take a cleaver to it, I slice is somewhat on the thin side, maybe just a little thinner than a quarter inch, then chop it coarsely, then moisten with the drippings, I use the fat and jus, then serve on cheap white buns. You can't go wrong that way. Sauce in squeeze bottles if you must.

I will say, it is not at all the same as pulled chuck, I really like a chopped brisket sandwich, more than a pulled chuck sandwich actually.

Right on! :thumb:

JS-TX
03-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Whatever you do I wouldn't make burnt ends out of the entire brisket if I were you.