PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Using a WSM without water in the pan

laveen1
02-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Several posts suggest smoking salmon WITHOUT water in the pan. Does this mean leaving an empty pan in the smoker? Won't that destroy the pan?

Time allowing (this is tax season, and that's what I do) I intend to keep trying until I get the flavor and texture I want. The popular gift pack salmons are finished off by heating/cooking (?) right in the package according to info found on several IT sites. Do they cold smoke, and then let it steam in it's own juices? I wonder if they add a cure (nitrate/nitrite)? I guess I have to buy a couple of different packages and see if I can "reverse engineer" what was done.

MilitantSquatter
02-29-2012, 08:48 PM
I don't know anything about cooking salmon, but I do know that cooking without water will not destroy your pan. May just want to foil it to keep it clean from drippings and leave a few rolled up foil balls underneath the sheet of foil so the drippings don't rest right on the hot pan.

caseydog
02-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Are you planning to cold smoke the salmon? If so, the pan is only going to catch what very few drippings you may have, if any. When I cold smoke in the WSM, I don't bother even using the pan.

The heat itself won't hurt the pan if you use it dry, no matter what you cook and how hot you cook it. If you use a WSM to hot smoke fatty meats, you won't necessarily ruin the pan by using it dry, but you will make yourself one big mess to clean up.

With salmon, even if you do a hot smoke, you are probably still okay. But, a layer of foil in the pan can't hurt.

CD

BC Squared
03-01-2012, 09:33 AM
I stopped using water a long time ago, no issues and easier cleanup

tnjimbob
03-01-2012, 10:12 AM
I stopped using water a long time ago, no issues and easier cleanup

Water in the pan is a good way to start, but it can consume more fuel. Water acts as a heat sink, and lots of fuel is consumed by heating the water in the pan before the heat reaches the meat.

I've never used water in my WSM. I started smoking in my Weber kettle with a Smokenator, removed the water pan for more coal space (gives longer burn times without having to replenish charcoal), so when I got a WSM, I never used water in the pan at all.

I guess it's just how you learn to cook and learn to regulate temps in your cooker.

glh17
03-01-2012, 12:15 PM
I go panless most of the time now. I always foil the pan to keep it clean.

frohe
03-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Several posts suggest smoking salmon WITHOUT water in the pan. Does this mean leaving an empty pan in the smoker? Won't that destroy the pan?

Back when I thought I needed a WSM & bought one, I often pondered why I needed a water pan and why steaming my Que would enhance things. Then I said to myself "try it and see what happens". I quickly snatched the pan out of the WSM and used it to hold more lump I had started in my chimney.

YMMV:icon_blush:

Rover24
03-01-2012, 12:53 PM
I have never used water in my WSM pan, as I really didn't want to deal with disposing of greasy water after every cook. I foil wrapped my entire water pan, then dropped a foiled 19" terra cotta planter saucer (from HD) into the water pan...every few cooks I replace the foil on the terra cotta saucer and every few months or so I replace all of the foil on the water pan.

JD McGee
03-01-2012, 01:18 PM
I use water in my wsm's for anything cooked under 250 degrees...including salmon. I just foil it for easier clean-up...