PDA

View Full Version : Injection question

MICHIGAN SMOKE
02-29-2012, 02:54 PM
I am cooking a butt tonight. I have always injected straight apple juice or cider in the past. My question is...

Anyone ever inject a vaunted vinegar sauce? I love to baste my PP after pulled with a little vinegar sauce. What about injecting it?

Then I thought about-- Vinegar sauce, apple juice, and a little of the same dry rub I am using on the outside boiled to break down the dry rub and then cooled and injected.

Am I overthinking this????

My PP is already KILLER!

criffaaa1
02-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Then I thought about-- Vinegar sauce, apple juice, and a little of the same dry rub I am using on the outside boiled to break down the dry rub and then cooled and injected.

My PP is already KILLER!

maybe overthinking but this sounds like
A good idea .
Sent via Criffvo

Cast Iron Chef
02-29-2012, 03:32 PM
I mix my dry rub in with the apple juice and add a little Worcester sauce. Very happy with results. Don't see why a little vinegar could hurt.

chomper's bbq
02-29-2012, 04:07 PM
The only concern I would have is whether the vinegar will break down the protein too much resulting in mushy pork.

Jbomb
02-29-2012, 04:13 PM
I am cooking a butt tonight. I have always injected straight apple juice or cider in the past. My question is...

Anyone ever inject a vaunted vinegar sauce? I love to baste my PP after pulled with a little vinegar sauce. What about injecting it?

My PP is already KILLER!

Thats how I do it other than the vinegar. Can't hurt to try. But I could see the vinegar breaking the meat down to much.

BBQ Nuts
02-29-2012, 04:19 PM
try peach nectar, cider vinegar and finely ground rub.

JS-TX
02-29-2012, 04:54 PM
The only concern I would have is whether the vinegar will break down the protein too much resulting in mushy pork.

+1, save the vinegar for your sauce when it's all done.

BigBellyBBQ
02-29-2012, 06:52 PM
put the vinegar in, you will love it..it will render out.... vrs adding after which does not help the process..

chad
02-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Don't overdo. Myron Mixon's hog injection has white vinegar. The perentage is 20%...ie. 4 quarts apple juice, 1 part vinegar, 5 pounds sugar, 2 cups salt. He adds MSG but that is, of course, optional. When I took his class years ago the injection was about the same but without the MSG.
Try and inject it evenly throughout the butt or shoulder. If left "marinating" too long it can start to break the meat down.
Tim and I used a little balsamic vinegar in the injection a couple of times. It was pretty tasty, but again, don't overdo.

jestridge
02-29-2012, 07:17 PM
I inject apple juice and Kosher salt mix.

MICHIGAN SMOKE
02-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the replies...going to try a little dry rub in the juice...don't want to mix it up too much with company coming

chromestacks
03-01-2012, 05:51 AM
why do you want to change a product that is all ready killer?

smokeyw
03-01-2012, 06:20 AM
I would warn against injecting too much vinegar. Everyone knows that here in North Carolina, we pride ourselves on vinegar sauce. I have tried injecting some in pork before cooking and it was much too strong this way and overpowering.

Q-Dat
03-01-2012, 09:07 AM
I screwed up once, and made an injection with vinegar and orange soda.

Pork Mush