PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Cut Help...

darita
02-29-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm finally ready to do my first brisket. I went to Costco and saw that they have them, but I don't know enough to know whether they are full packers with point and flat or just flats. There was no indication on the packaging. How do I tell? And yes, I know that little about brisket.

mr dirts bbq
02-29-2012, 02:39 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121089

mister bobs way works for me! :thumb:

xdcx
02-29-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm finally ready to do my first brisket. I went to Costco and saw that they have them, but I don't know enough to know whether they are full packers with point and flat or just flats. There was no indication on the packaging. How do I tell? And yes, I know that little about brisket.

the size will normally give it away. if it's not the thick and smaller than your arm, it's probably just the flat. If it's under 10 pounds it's all probably just the flat.

Big George's BBQ
02-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Ask the Butcher at Costco. They usually have the full packers- it will have one end that is very thick

Lance Miller
02-29-2012, 03:21 PM
If it fit in a white tray, is under 10 lbs, and looks too nice and pretty, it's just the flat.

I have friends in SOCAL that swear they have bought a true packer brisket from Costco, but I have yet to find one. I even bother the meat cutters by knocking on the window and asking of they have packer briskets. I have tried 4 different Costco's and they all say no. Which makes me wonder how they have flat, but not a packer? Where the hell did the point go? I know they trimmed the flat on site because it is labeled like the rest of the on site cut meat.

Anyone else find a packer at a Costco?

GrillsGoneWild
02-29-2012, 03:22 PM
I've never seen flats at Costco. Wish they had them here.

gtr
02-29-2012, 03:37 PM
I've only seen flats at Costco - the one in Marina del Rey, CA anyway. They look nice, but IMO the point is where it's at! :hungry:

bander7003
02-29-2012, 03:41 PM
IMO the point is where it's at! :hungry:

Definitely agree. Sadly my Costco only carries flats and not very often at that.

darita
02-29-2012, 03:52 PM
That's what these briskets kinda looked like, although they are 12# and up.

vafish
02-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Costco Brisket:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/utf-8BSU1BRzA2NjcuanBn.jpg

AustinKnight
02-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Costcos Full Packer Brisket:

http://img.tapatalk.com/adae5006-ac53-8238.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

frohe
02-29-2012, 05:03 PM

Look at the weight - if it's 10#s or less, it's probably a flat and the meat will look just that - flat. The point is just that - it's a thicker cut of meat that comes to a point.

So you have two ends - one flat and not pointed. The other end is fatter towards the end and comes to a point.

Go to Yahoo images and type in packer cut brisket. Look at the pics and you'll soon be able to spot a full packer cut from just a flat.

If all else fails, ask the butcher at Costco. If they got a meat depeartment hopefully they have someone who knows a thing or two about meat cuts. I've never been in a Costco. Down here in central Texas the place to go is H.E.B. or a local meat market.

O'Mordha
02-29-2012, 05:44 PM
The price alone will tell you if you're buying a flat or a whole packer. I just picked up a flat from that Costco off of Stanford Ranch, it was $20 something and the packer was like $70 something.

darita
02-29-2012, 08:07 PM
The price alone will tell you if you're buying a flat or a whole packer. I just picked up a flat from that Costco off of Stanford Ranch, it was $20 something and the packer was like $70 something.
That's the Costco I was at! Were there flats and full packers there? I thought maybe the $35 briskets might have been full packers...no?

didisea
02-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Our "Business" Costco carries the full packers, and the regular "Consumer" Costco carries cryovac flats and trimmed flats in smaller sizes.
If you look at the directory of Costco's online, the business ones have "Business Center" after the location.

O'Mordha
03-01-2012, 03:56 PM
That's the Costco I was at! Were there flats and full packers there? I thought maybe the $35 briskets might have been full packers...no?

Yep, they had flats and then to the right of the flats was a couple whole packer. The flats were ranging from $20-$30 something, and then the whole packers were like $70.