PDA

View Full Version : Gas smoker

captndan
02-28-2012, 08:41 AM
I looked around and did not find anything of value about smoking on a gasser. Seems I have read something about a wood box or something like that. Anybody have experience with this?

BillywannaQ
02-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Most gassers have a cast iron wood tray or chip box that sits above a burner. Once the cast oron gets hot, the wood smolders and produces smoke, and the burner produces the heat. Some new gasser models have a very thin metal chip box that people replace with a small cast iron pan, or metal coffee can. Hope this helps you out.

expatpig
02-28-2012, 09:06 AM
I've have a GOSM that I have used with great results, I've since moved on and now use it primarily as a holding oven and as a backup for appetizers(abt's , moink balls).

Jason TQ
02-28-2012, 09:16 AM
I've have a GOSM that I have used with great results, I've since moved on and now use it primarily as a holding oven and as a backup for appetizers(abt's , moink balls).

I will 2nd this as I also had a GOSM and it produced some pretty dang good bbq. Mine produced a good amount of smoke which I didn't get out of my first smoker which was a masterbuilt electric. The GOSM are easy to use and I would say take a look into them if you haven't already.

Chef Jim
02-28-2012, 09:17 AM
I have the perfect solution for you. It's called a "Sam's Smoker Pro" I used one for years and it is the best for a gasser. http://samssmoker.com/

I gave it to friend and he is just lovin it.

captndan
02-29-2012, 07:50 AM
That Sam's thing looks very interesting. I may have second thoughts about this. Thanks

Chef Jim
02-29-2012, 09:50 AM
That Sam's thing looks very interesting. I may have second thoughts about this. Thanks

Trust me, I tried all the other boxes. Cheap, they don't hold as many chips and they rust. The one I gave to my friend is still working and I bet its over 6 years old. Worth every penny I paid for it!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

TomB
02-29-2012, 11:23 AM
I like my great outdoor smoky mountain (GOSM) on cold days or when I make potatoes or apparel. Love my wsm for regular cooks.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

fingerlickin'
02-29-2012, 11:24 AM
I have a master forge propane smoker that I started on. It sits in the shed now but I've put out some very nice food with it. It has a fairly thick box for the chips although it does warp a little bit from the heat. The mistake I made was to feel like I had to constantly add more chips every time they ran out. Really, since the meat only takes smoke for so long I would have been better served to get some sleep. Can I ask why you're thinking of a gasser? What do you cook on now? That Sam's thing does look like a fine alternative, although, I do like the vertical set up of my smoker and it holds a lot of meat too. I bought it at Lowes for $149.

BillywannaQ
02-29-2012, 12:37 PM
I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were talking about smoking on a gas smoker, not a gas grill. When I dont feel like moving my gas smoker out of the garage, I use an old metal coffee can, fill it with wood chunks, foil the top and poke a few holes in the foil and place it on the rear burner of my Weber gas grill. With the back burner on high, and the other burners off, my temp sits right around 250 degrees.

fingerlickin'
02-29-2012, 01:37 PM
I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were talking about smoking on a gas smoker, not a gas grill. When I dont feel like moving my gas smoker out of the garage, I use an old metal coffee can, fill it with wood chunks, foil the top and poke a few holes in the foil and place it on the rear burner of my Weber gas grill. With the back burner on high, and the other burners off, my temp sits right around 250 degrees.

Uh, yeah, me too. I guess you can disregard all of my jibberish.

captndan
03-01-2012, 06:25 AM
For the big cooks I use the trailer mounted offset. For the small stuff I use an old vertical UDS. This gasser, an Aussie, just sits in the porch and seldom gets used. I just want to make it more versatile for small lazy cooks. The jury is still out.

DaChief
03-01-2012, 06:47 AM
I have also wrapped wood chips that have been soaked in heavy duty foil and poked a few holes in the top. You can prepare a few of these if you want more smoke and easily replace when one runs out.