PDA

View Full Version : Cooking too much-Im I the only one??

BIGBrandon2785
02-27-2012, 10:57 PM
I swear every time I fire up the pit/smoker,I Que up a armys worth of food.I cant ever bring myself to just smoke 1 pack of chicken or just 1 rack of ribs.It always turns into a big family spread.

JMSetzler
02-27-2012, 11:17 PM
I started out that way too. I'm having to slow down because my freezer is about full of meat. I have been giving a good bit away to make room for more!

kennedyma
02-27-2012, 11:19 PM
I would agree 100%. One thing that's saved me though is my Food Saver and deep freeze.

Now I just vac u suck the left overs and reheat later. Works wonders.

cowgirl
02-27-2012, 11:21 PM
I swear every time I fire up the pit/smoker,I Que up a armys worth of food.I cant ever bring myself to just smoke 1 pack of chicken or just 1 rack of ribs.It always turns into a big family spread.

Me too! It's impossible to smoke for one. Sometimes I have friends over but when it's just me... I can't smoke just one thing. I load the smoker up and freeze "stuff" for quick meals later.

DMSinTexas
02-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Take it to work and give it away. You will get great feedback and positive karma. I learned a TON by taking in extra smoked meat and seeing what food was leftover.

BIGBrandon2785
02-27-2012, 11:46 PM
LOL,sounds like im not alone.I need to invest in a vacuum sealer though.

fingerlickin'
02-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Yep, foodsaver is a necessity. Great investment. We're a big group of people pleasers around here. It's just not as much fun only cooking for yourself!

LoneStarMojo
02-28-2012, 12:24 AM
I'm with you guys. About the smallest cooks I do are at least 2 briskets and a butt or 2. The way I see..if anyone has a problem with it, just stuff their pie-hole with meat and they'll change their tune!

BBQ David
02-28-2012, 12:45 AM

I don't see why thats a big problem? Lol more food the better.

BIGBrandon2785
02-28-2012, 01:21 AM
I don't see why thats a big problem? Lol more food the better.
Oh its not a problem,just seems none of my friends(besides here) Que that way,lol.

To me a BBQ/smoke means call my momma,call my brothers,call my grandpa and if any thing left call my uncles,haha

Nothin better during the summer time,than family,good BBQ,cold beer and Cardinal Baseball!!!! :mrgreen:

DevineSwine
02-28-2012, 02:46 AM
Yeah same here but really when you think about its hard to justify spooling up the UDS unless their is a few settings ya know!!!!

markdtn
02-28-2012, 06:02 AM
I would agree 100%. One thing that's saved me though is my Food Saver and deep freeze.

Now I just vac u suck the left overs and reheat later. Works wonders.

Me too.

Wampus
02-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Personally, I think that BBQ is meant to be shared with others. I have 6 people in my family, so I never have the issue of firing up the grill or smoker for a 1/2 chicken. I am like you, though, I'd rather fill that sucker up if I'm gonna fire it off!

One thing I started doing was inviting others over, friends of the family, parents of my kids' friends, etc. I even hosted a block party for our neighborhood a while back.

THEN, that developed into something really cool.....a reputation! Now, when I feel like firing up the smoker, the wife will send out texts and emails to our "regulars" and offer up smoked meat for double the cost of the meat. This usually means buying a case of butts or ribs and selling them to folks for double what I paid for it. The deal is, "It'll be ready to pick up at _____ O'Clock on Saturday". Folks stop by, I have it wrapped in foil ready to eat or vacuum sealed (for a small additional price) ready for the freezer. I end up making enough to pay for a couple of butts for us to eat, pay for the charcoal and time and a little extra. PLUS....I get to cook alot, which is the whole point!

Hey.......you could be addicted to worse things.....trust me!

tnjimbob
02-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Personally, I think that BBQ is meant to be shared with others. I have 6 people in my family, so I never have the issue of firing up the grill or smoker for a 1/2 chicken. I am like you, though, I'd rather fill that sucker up if I'm gonna fire it off!

One thing I started doing was inviting others over, friends of the family, parents of my kids' friends, etc. I even hosted a block party for our neighborhood a while back.

THEN, that developed into something really cool.....a reputation! Now, when I feel like firing up the smoker, the wife will send out texts and emails to our "regulars" and offer up smoked meat for double the cost of the meat. This usually means buying a case of butts or ribs and selling them to folks for double what I paid for it. The deal is, "It'll be ready to pick up at _____ O'Clock on Saturday". Folks stop by, I have it wrapped in foil ready to eat or vacuum sealed (for a small additional price) ready for the freezer. I end up making enough to pay for a couple of butts for us to eat, pay for the charcoal and time and a little extra. PLUS....I get to cook alot, which is the whole point!

Hey.......you could be addicted to worse things.....trust me!

Fantastic idea! SWMBO always questions why we NEED to buy & cook lots of meat at once. It is hard to justify buying and smoking a full smoker's worth of meat beyond the reason of "we can freeze it for future meals", and selling cooked product to friends & family is a good way to justify firing up the smoker for more than just one meal.

jestridge
02-28-2012, 09:20 AM
I have a large family , we still have after church Sunday dinner always at least 20 people there.

gtr
02-28-2012, 09:48 AM
BBQ is community food with origins in feeding large groups of people. Nobody comes to my house without being offered something to eat. I also make use of the vacuum sealer and I bring stuff to work.

I really enjoy the tast of bbq, but what I really enjoy the most is the gathering of people. As long as I have a table full or more of folks chowing down and enjoying themselves and each other, everything is cool.

That said, wasting/throwing out food drives me absolutely nuts, so I try to make use of everything that I've cooked. It'll show up in tacos, beans, fried rice, sammiches etc. throughout the week.

Wampus - sound like you got a really great thing going there! :thumb:

deepsouth
02-28-2012, 09:50 AM

same here.

Ground Pounder
02-28-2012, 11:49 AM
I did the same thing a lot my first year or so, but lately when I know it's just me and the fam I'll avoid firing up the WSM and just use my mini or the kettle.

One of the reasons I avoided getting one huge smoker was to avoid this problem. I figured if I had a couple smaller cookers that I knew how to operate well, I could waste less food and fuel.

On the weekends, though... LOOKOUT!

Phubar
02-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Even on my smallest cooker (Weber Go Anywhere) I cook too much for myselPh.....guess I got that from my Mom.

Warthog
02-28-2012, 12:03 PM
We do the same thing. Would rather have extra then not enough. Send them all home with care packages.

crb478
02-28-2012, 12:23 PM
I have a pretty big smoker, but I won't even fire it up with less than four butts. Vacuum seal and freeze and I am good to go. I will also ask friends it they want anything smoked while I am doing it, usually someone will want to add something.

thoraudio
02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
I always cook too much. Inevitably, I'll be in the store picking up the food for whatever get together and say, "Hey, I know it's supposed to be burgers and dogs, but country style ribs make great appetizers, and their 2 for 1, and I can't cook hot dogs without smoked sausage for the adults and...."

Had a couple and their kids over last week. 9 people, 5 under 10. What did I cook? 8 1/3 pound hamburgers, 6 lbs of country style ribs, 12 hot dogs and a lb of smoked sausage....

I too have a problem.

caseydog
02-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Me too! It's impossible to smoke for one. Sometimes I have friends over but when it's just me... I can't smoke just one thing. I load the smoker up and freeze "stuff" for quick meals later.

Same problem here. And, if I cook a bunch and freeze it, the food seems to stay in the freezer because I'm cooking new stuff all the time.

However, there is a nice single lady across the street from me that I generally share BBQ with when I do a cook. I don't think she does a lot of scratch cooking, so she appreciates the que.

CD