PDA

View Full Version : Possible good deal on a New Egg Package?

JMSetzler
02-27-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm in the market for a large Big Green Egg, and I have been putting some funds together to be able to buy one. I talked to my local dealer this afternoon and he offered me the following:

Large Big Green Egg: $869
Large Plate Setter: $65
Large Nest: $149

Total: $1083 plus tax (7% here in NC)

I have a friend who works for a place that sells eggs about an hour or so away from here, so I called him up and asked the same question. He offered me the following package:

Large BGE
Large Plate Setter
Large Nest
Bag of BGE Charcoal
Box of starters

Total: $899 plus tax

Does anyone think I'll be able to get a better deal than this? I'm aware of the deals offered on demo units at eggfests, but I'm not particularly willing to drive three hours each way to take advantage of one of those deals. I'll be ready to have a BGE here before one of those opportunities comes my way.

I plan to build my own table at some point this summer, so the nest is only a temporary fix for me. I can't get a discount on that $899 package for not taking the nest tho, so there is no money to be saved there.

Thoughts?

Pyle's BBQ
02-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Take the local dealer package. That is close to what they sell for at the State Fair here. Your friend is selling you charcoal and starters for $30 and a 2 hour drive. Another thing to think about is if you need service the dealer is closer.

JMSetzler
02-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Take the local dealer package. That is close to what they sell for at the State Fair here. Your friend is selling you charcoal and starters for $30 and a 2 hour drive. Another thing to think about is if you need service the dealer is closer.

I'm not sure I understand this logic?

El Ropo
02-27-2012, 08:35 PM
I was gonna say "build a UDS" but I see you already have!

Even if I had the scratch, I'd be looking at the knockoff metal kamado @ lowes for $299.00. If it falls over, it won't break :)

SirPorkaLot
02-27-2012, 08:39 PM
It really comes down to are you willing to drive 2 hours, use the fuel to buy from the friend and save $183?

Not counting the cost of your time, the fuel or the inability to get customer service locally.

Pyle's BBQ
02-27-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure I understand this logic?

Sorry, I read the post wrong. Ignore as usual.

JMSetzler
02-27-2012, 08:41 PM
The friend does work for a dealer, just not my local dealer. Unless my logic is flawed somehow, a 2 hour drive to save $183 sounds pretty good. What sorts of customer service should I expect to need on a Big Green Egg?

Big George's BBQ
02-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me As long as you get it from a Dealer you have a Great Warranty and Service I love my Large BGE

big brother smoke
02-27-2012, 08:43 PM
I like the idea of buying from a friend, if trustworthy.

Trumpstylz
02-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Also- check out the primo. They're nice as well, I've had my sights set on one, just can't seem to pull the trigger.

swamprb
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Wait for an Eggfest in your area if you can-it is the BEST deal you can get on a brand new Egg!

ALLENY
02-28-2012, 12:19 AM
i'm in the market for a large big green egg, and i have been putting some funds together to be able to buy one. I talked to my local dealer this afternoon and he offered me the following:

Large big green egg: $869
large plate setter: $65
large nest: $149

total: $1083 plus tax (7% here in nc)

i have a friend who works for a place that sells eggs about an hour or so away from here, so i called him up and asked the same question. He offered me the following package:

Large bge
large plate setter
large nest
bag of bge charcoal
box of starters

total: $899 plus tax

does anyone think i'll be able to get a better deal than this? I'm aware of the deals offered on demo units at eggfests, but i'm not particularly willing to drive three hours each way to take advantage of one of those deals. I'll be ready to have a bge here before one of those opportunities comes my way.

I plan to build my own table at some point this summer, so the nest is only a temporary fix for me. I can't get a discount on that $899 package for not taking the nest tho, so there is no money to be saved there.

Thoughts?
take the deal from your friend. I have a large bge with a nest and that is a good deal.

aquablue22
02-28-2012, 04:06 AM
Three posts! Amazing.

JM I would take the deal from a friend actually a good deal.

expatpig
02-28-2012, 06:56 AM
if he's your friend, buy it from him..I'm sure he would appreciate it.

Panthers65
02-28-2012, 08:36 AM
So he's your friend, your getting a bag of coal and a box of starters extra, and you're saving $196.88 (with taxes).

6 hour trip will take you a day and burn a tank of gas, $75-ish for a full size truck. So is your afternoon worth $120, a bag of coal, and a box of starters? For me, I'd be callin my friend back, but I'm broke and my time is essentially worthless. Yours may be different.