PDA

View Full Version : Wood for smoking in PA or NY

Specter
02-27-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm new to smoking meats and I'm looking for a place to get wood for use in my Char-Griller Smokin' Pro. I'm from Bradford County in North East PA, but I travel on I-81 up to Watertown on a pretty regular basis. If anyone has a recommendation for where to get wood it would be greatly appreciated! :pray:

nrok2118
02-27-2012, 07:50 PM
if you just need chunks your local home depot can help you out.

Also www.fruitawoodchunks.com is decently priced quality product:thumb:

caseydog
02-27-2012, 08:00 PM
You have all kinds of hardwoods and fruitwoods (nuts) growing in NE PA. Find a roadside firewood seller who knows his woods, and you should do fine.

For best results, decide what you want to buy, and go in search of it. Do a Google search on what woods grow in your area, and go find the ones you want.

I know all the trees that grow in my area, and where to find the trees that I want, that don't grow in my area. A little bit of research is easy, and you will never go without the woods you want.

I can get live oak and mesquite all over my area, and drive down to visit my high school buddies, and bring back a carload of pecan. All of it free.

Good luck with your quest, but don't get suckered into paying out the wazzo for wood you could get for cheap, or even free, if you just do a little research into what grows in abundance near where you live. I guarantee there are people lining up to charge you a bunch of money for wood that other people just want to get rid of.

Full disclosure: I do buy wood chunks at Academy for convenience, and it is really reasonable in price. But, if I can score some wood that someone is cutting to get rid of, I jump on it. The local electric utility was cutting branches off of trees near power lines, and were taking down BIG branches from old-growth oak trees near my house. I drove up and asked for some of the branches for my smoker, and they gladly cut them up to fit in my car. They are drying out back right now.

There's a lot of free wood out there. You just have to look for it.

CD

jestridge
02-27-2012, 08:20 PM
I never buy wood

Jaskew82
02-27-2012, 08:28 PM
I never buy wood

way to troll
:tsk:

Drh7003
02-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Specter,
Welcome! I am across the state around Harrisburg. When I need wood for my smoker, I head out to my local orchard. I like fruit woods, and now is trimming time! I got a half of a pick up truck of trimmings, which isn't much, but it was free.
If I want bigger stuff (logs) they sell it for $33 a pallet load (4'x4'x4' high). It is usually a mixed lot of cherry, peach and apple.

I would check out the local orchards and you might get lucky.

Specter
02-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Thank you all so much! I had never even considered orchards! I will start looking around in my area and seeing what I can find! You have all been a great help!

fingerlickin'
02-27-2012, 11:36 PM
You have all kinds of hardwoods and fruitwoods (nuts) growing in NE PA. Find a roadside firewood seller who knows his woods, and you should do fine.

For best results, decide what you want to buy, and go in search of it. Do a Google search on what woods grow in your area, and go find the ones you want.

I know all the trees that grow in my area, and where to find the trees that I want, that don't grow in my area. A little bit of research is easy, and you will never go without the woods you want.

I can get live oak and mesquite all over my area, and drive down to visit my high school buddies, and bring back a carload of pecan. All of it free.

Good luck with your quest, but don't get suckered into paying out the wazzo for wood you could get for cheap, or even free, if you just do a little research into what grows in abundance near where you live. I guarantee there are people lining up to charge you a bunch of money for wood that other people just want to get rid of.

Full disclosure: I do buy wood chunks at Academy for convenience, and it is really reasonable in price. But, if I can score some wood that someone is cutting to get rid of, I jump on it. The local electric utility was cutting branches off of trees near power lines, and were taking down BIG branches from old-growth oak trees near my house. I drove up and asked for some of the branches for my smoker, and they gladly cut them up to fit in my car. They are drying out back right now.

There's a lot of free wood out there. You just have to look for it.

CD

Tapatalk needs a thanks button.

BigBellyBBQ
02-28-2012, 08:06 AM
I am north of Erie, so pm me and i can give you some phone numbers for Apple and Hickory. Travel north along the lake and you will find orchards, however,,most places reallize that the fruit wood is valuable and it will be hard to find trimings, for free....your local firewood guys will have stashes of specialty wood so check around..the going rate is 80 to 125 a cord...the wild cherry around here cooks real nice..search within a few miles of your house...

NRA4Life
02-28-2012, 08:13 AM
http://scranton.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=276&subAreaID=&query=firewood&catAbb=sss

daninnewjersey
02-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Oak is very plentiful in the northeast...it's all I use. Produces great barbecue and is cheap to get. Check that Craigslist link above....

expatpig
02-28-2012, 09:17 AM
When I was younger,(a teenager) we used to hunt in New Albany, Bradford County. I remember a lot of old apple orchards, hickory trees, maples and red oak. I would cruise the state gamelands and see what I could find.

Smoker101
02-28-2012, 11:25 AM
i can't help you out here. i use charcoal and just use apple chunks that i bought at a local store. welcome to the brothers and sisters of smoking fun.