PDA

View Full Version : Orion cookers

medeloach
02-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Anyone try one before? If so, how was it - versus using a traditional smoker. I'm thinking about getting one for tailgating. I figure it'd be easier to transport than my 18" WSM.

Thanks in advance!

Btw, this is my first ever post...but I've really enjoyed reading this forum and hope I can contribute some pron of my own soon.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Welcome!

Several Brethren use them. If you look down at the bottom of this page and find the site specific google search box. Type in "Orion smoker" and you will find a lot of discussion threads on them.

Wampus
02-27-2012, 07:48 PM
I cooked on one before. IMO, there are both good and bad with them. I can say that I'll never own one......

They have one good thing about them.....they are a convection cooker and really do cook in an amazingly fast time. I cooked 3 butts on one in like 4 hours and was flat out shocked when it really happened. The butts were very tender, the bone pulled right out and everything. EXCEPT....even though I'd rubbed them down and put wood chips in the cook chamber per the instructions on the thing, there was ZERO bark. I could literally wipe the rub off of the butts after the cook. They were sort of grey looking. No smoke flavor really and no bark. Might as well have cooked them in the oven.

When you light the thing, you use an entire 11 lb bag of match light. This was expensive and compared to what my UDS will do, it's a farkin fuel hog. I loaded up the cooker, lit the coals and let it go for 4 hours. When the coals were gone, I opened it up and the butts were done.

The way it's built, there's no way for any smoke or charcoal flavor to get to the meat since the cook chamber is completely sealed. Plus if it happens to rain and the coals get wet, you're all done.

All in all, it cooked impressively fast, but I didn't find it efficient in fuel or flavoring at all. Since I can cook food at a pretty decent rate in my oven with no bark or smoke or charcoal flavor, why would I want to spend the dough (they're no cheap) on an Orion.

One cool thing about it is that my youngest son's name is Orion.....:becky::thumb:

Parruthead
02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
I have one and two of my buddies have them.. They use them in this capacity.

1.) Lots of Baked Potatoes can be cooked in a relative short time.
2.) Also when they do a pig or cook for a event and do pulled chicken for a 2nd meat they cook 6 birds per Orion x 2 in about 1.5 hours. So they can due 12 birds pretty quickly.

I have used mine twice now,(1 turkey and 2 Chickens)and this is my two cents.

As prevoiously stated you definitely don't get bark or crispy skin.

I wouldn't invest in one for the reason above!

Though if you want one I know where there is one on clearance for 99.00 and I'm sure I could ship it to you for probably 25-30 bucks.