PDA

View Full Version : Hot and Fast Brisket Questions

Ag76
02-27-2012, 10:17 AM
I tried a hot and fast brisket yesterday with a 7 pound flat. It took 5 hours at an average temp of ~335 degrees. I did not inject or marinate. I did do the following:

1. Applied rub.
2. Wrapped in foil with 1 cup of water at 160 deg internal temp.
3. Pulled at 185 internal temp. It was not very probe tender yet, but I was trying to keep it from drying out. I probably should have left it on longer.
4. Rested it for ~ 1 hour.

The brisket had very good flavor, but was dry and not very tender. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Like I indicated above, I probably could have increased the tenderness by leaving it on longer, but I don't think that would have helped the dryness.

El Ropo
02-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Undercooked, I never go by time or temp on a piece of meat like brisket. When it probes like butter in the middle of the flat, that is when it is done. Could happen at 190, may not happen till 210, every cow is gonna cook slightly different.

Also, with hot and fast cooks, many people report that it takes a higher internal temp to reach the probe like buttah feel.

bigabyte
02-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Definitely undercooked. After it passes 160, it is tough and dry until the meat breaks down, which can happen anywhere between 185 and 205 for the most part.

ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
02-27-2012, 11:06 AM
inject or marinate...but yeah..your collagen didn't break down so your meat was too tuff..

indianagriller
02-27-2012, 11:07 AM
hot and fast i take it between 200-210 for the tenderness...

bigabyte
02-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Like I indicated above, I probably could have increased the tenderness by leaving it on longer, but I don't think that would have helped the dryness.
You would be surprised. It will seem more moist after it breaks down. Seems counter-intuitive, but it is fact.

thirtydaZe
02-27-2012, 11:23 AM
does collagen have a chance to break down when you go hot and fast? i thought this process happens during the stall, but when i went hot and fast it flat never stalled.

therefore my hot and fast attempt was dry too.

when you do a hot fast brisket flat when can you expect to see the collagen break down?

bigabyte
02-27-2012, 11:31 AM
The collagen will still break down, even hot and fast, but on average they wind up cooking to a higher internal temp before they break down compared to low and slow.

I really like the results of cooking brisket around 275. It's a lot faster than your traditional low and slow, and (in my opinion) makes a better product than higher temps.

BC Squared
02-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Don't get caught up in collagen and the stall...it's an old wives tale..

ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
02-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Don't get caught up in collagen and the stall...it's an old wives tale..

the stall...debatable..

the collagen...thats just pure chemistry. :mrgreen: