PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 500 cheese

daninnewjersey
02-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Well, since they kept pushing the delay further and further....and eventually cancelled the race...I figured what the heck let's smoke some cheese. That's a good enough reason right??

Local Shoprite had a great sale so I picked up 10 packs...5 white cheddar and 5 pepper jack. I cut them in half since I always seem to do that after they're done anyway. Smoked with oak for about 2 hours. They're in the fridge mellowing and should be ready next weekend.

Smoking cheese is really cool and a big hit around here. Some of the local cops even stop by for samples. Of course they get as much as they want....

Babyboomerboy
02-27-2012, 08:25 AM
I must have missed something. What temp did you smoke that cheese at? How long did you smoke that cheese for? It looks good and I think I might like to try that with a little more information....:grin:

daninnewjersey
02-27-2012, 08:59 AM
I must have missed something. What temp did you smoke that cheese at? How long did you smoke that cheese for? It looks good and I think I might like to try that with a little more information....:grin:

Sorry....another rookie mistake on my part....I use one of those coffee cans with the soldering iron tip inside the can at the bottom. Google or YouTube has a ton of examples on how to make it. I fill the can with small pieces of oak I cut with my hand axe. This way the temp in the smoker stays cool...and you don't end up with a gooey mess.

I smoked the cheese for just about 2 hrs....maybe 2:15....and let it rest when done. Then wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about a week. The rest time helps take the ashy taste and turn it into the good smokey taste......

wildflower
02-27-2012, 09:13 AM
I let mine rest for two weeks, even better I think :thumb: You got a great price on the cheese :clap2:

likeadeere
02-27-2012, 09:17 AM
awesome!!! Good price on cheese too!

Randbo
02-27-2012, 09:19 AM
I guess I need to try this. It looks good.

fingerlickin'
02-27-2012, 11:12 AM
I really gotta get on this smoking cheese thing. If you're going to vac seal it can you do it right away or is it better to let it breath before vac sucking it?

daninnewjersey
02-27-2012, 01:28 PM
I really gotta get on this smoking cheese thing. If you're going to vac seal it can you do it right away or is it better to let it breath before vac sucking it?

I'm a rookie with smoking cheese, but I'd say let them sit a bit first. The oil seems to dry up or magically vanish....wherever it goes.....when sitting for a bit and I'd think that keeps the cheese from getting mushy??? There are probably far more experienced cheese smokers on here that would know.

Whatever you do...try it. It's relatively easy and the smoked cheese you produce is FAR better than any store bought I've had....

unklechuckles19
02-27-2012, 01:36 PM
The few batches of cheese I've smoked I've done in my Bradley Electric, so I can't really offer any input on charcoal or stick burning units. I usually let the cheese sit out for 2 or so hours after I get done with the smoke, give it a quick wipe before I pack, then it's right into the vacuum sealer. It all depends on planned use, but I try and let mine sit for 2-3 weeks before I cut it open. I feel it really gives the smoke flavor time to set and get rid of the ash tray taste. The longer the better.

Your cheese looks great!

cowgirl
02-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Great looking cheese!!
That's one heck of a price too. :grin: